PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of various UK vegan food items

RossClement
Mar 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I've just discovered that "Discovery" (brand) refried beans say "suitable for vegetarian and vegans" on the back. Only says vegetarian on the front, but explicitly vegan on the back.

I bought a tin at Iceland for £1.24. They were quite nice. Very mild in flavour, though with an attractive slight "chili" flavour without the heat. Not that I would have minded a bit more heat.

Sainsburys do a "hot lime and coconut" salad dressing in their "low fat" (3%) 'be good to yourself' salad dressing range. It's got a very strong and distinctive flavour. It's very spicy too. I could imagine people either loving it or hating it, but I think it tastes great. Rather different from a standard vinegarette but I'm enjoying (as I type) it on a snack salad as I type.

Cheers,

Ross-c

puffin
Mar 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I've just discovered that "Discovery" (brand) refried beans say "suitable for vegetarian and vegans" on the back. Only says vegetarian on the front, but explicitly vegan on the back.

I bought a tin at Iceland for £1.24. They were quite nice. Very mild in flavour, though with an attractive slight "chili" flavour without the heat. Not that I would have minded a bit more heat.

Cheers,

Ross-c
They are really nice. I dicovered them about 4 weeks ago and i have them in tortilla wraps. They have a strange smell when you open the tin though.

feral
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I really like the Vegetarian's choice sausages, it says suitable for vegans on the box. They don't have that strong soy aftertaste which I usually have to disguise with sauce.

RedWellies
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
They are really nice. I dicovered them about 4 weeks ago and i have them in tortilla wraps.
Mmmm, yes I think they were the ones I had like that too but if I remember, they were very salty.

TheBluePenguin
Mar 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
has anyone found good ice cream? i've been eating Swedish Glace, but the vanilla is all i can get and it's quite boring by now.

Pob
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
The raspberry is beautiful. Adding chocolate or fruity sauce to the vanilla livens it up a lot. The choc ice on a stick things and the cones are good, too.:)

I just curried the newly vegan realeat chicken style pieces and they came out lovely:)

RossClement
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I like the Tofutti ice creams, though I found the bigger pots in sale in Waitrose some time ago were good, but not as good as some of the 'pots'.

The raspberry is beautiful. Adding chocolate or fruity sauce to the vanilla livens it up a lot. The choc ice on a stick things and the cones are good, too.:)

I just curried the newly vegan realeat chicken style pieces and they came out lovely:)

Realeat Chicken Style Pieces are Vegan? I must try some of these.

Cheers,

Ross-c