PDA

View Full Version : Climate change experiment

gogs67
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Please sign up for this,the biggest climate change experiment in the world.The more people that get involved,the better and more accurate climate prediction models we may get!:)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/hottopics/climatechange/

C'mon!

Mr Flibble
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
wow, even the bbc are jumping on the seti@home distributed computing bandwagon now ;)

What I find ironic is that by using your CPU at full load 24/7 when it would normally idle at a lower rate and draw less electricity is that you're potenitally being nicer to the environment/slowing climate change by not running the software!

gogs67
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Haha,that's good that you've signed up already!

Mr Flibble
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Not at all. I already have a BOINC account from when I used to run upto 11 computers at home and a couple in my lab with seti@home, but I care more about electricity usage now and only have machines on when i'm using them. The cost in £ is motivation enough alone, but also there's an enviromental aspect.

gogs67
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Jeez,you used to run 13 computers!:eek: That's a lot of wattage,no wonder you're worried about cost now!:D

catmogg
Mar 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Um, dont get it???:o

Jane M
Mar 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM
ohhhh thank you...I'm not alone...whew

gogs67
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM
If you click on the link it explains all!:)

catmogg
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I did. :o I stillllllllllll dont gerrit. :o :o

gogs67
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
:) The more people that can run the program on their home computers,the more information and data can be processed and a more accurate representation of climate change we can get!(hopefully)!

Jane M
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Is this just for UK or world wide? I think world wide.

catmogg
Mar 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!! I downloaded this and now my computer keeps crashing when the screen saver tries to load up!!!! Its a nightmare. anyone know what to do?? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp. :confused: :confused: :confused:

gogs67
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!! I downloaded this and now my computer keeps crashing when the screen saver tries to load up!!!! Its a nightmare. anyone know what to do?? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Prob just unload the whole program!If it's affecting your computer like that it's not worth the hassle.:)

laurin
Mar 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
This isn't my computer, well it is and it isn't. It belongs to our entire family, but if I did something to it I would be in alot of trouble. I would but I'm scared I'll wreck it.

veggiesosage
Mar 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
The bloody thing has kakked up my computer too. I know the theory is that it uses 'spare computer processing power' but I don't think my wheezy old knacker actually has any spare. I've had to do 3 resets since yesterday trying to get the damn thing going again.

Climate change? Its gonna get hot and rain a lot. Job done, now I'm gonna uninstall the bloody thing...

veggiesosage
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Ooh thats odd. Why did the words 'climate change' go red? I didn't do that.

piggy
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
are you sober, veggie?

veggiesosage
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Yes I am (cheeky monkey:D ), and now its messing with my head cos its not in red writing now. I can't possibly hallucinate different colour web writing can I?

I've had a bad tech day all round, stereo not working, as well as dealing with the climate change software nonsense. Oh well, at least its nearly bed time.

piggy
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
:p then why worry bout it

Risker
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Yes I am (cheeky monkey:D ), and now its messing with my head cos its not in red writing now. I can't possibly hallucinate different colour web writing can I?

I've had a bad tech day all round, stereo not working, as well as dealing with the climate change software nonsense. Oh well, at least its nearly bed time.

If you did a search for those words then it would highlight them in red, is that it?

veggiesosage
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
No I'm chilled now. Got rid of offending software and the stereo can wait til tomorrow.

Was seriously on the verge of throwing the pooter out of the window earler today though.

veggiesosage
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:52 PM
If you did a search for those words then it would highlight them in red, is that it?

Thank you, yes thats what happened. I didn't imagine it then and I'm not losing it after all.

Gliondrach
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Many experts, including me, believe that global warming will give the British Isles longer, colder winters.