PDA

View Full Version : Vegans don't use honey

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

RubyDuby
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Maybe this thread? http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20099-Bees-are-dying-off-at-an-alarming-rate

Risker
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Everyone here is talking about what the harm that comes to bees by collecting honey- yet no one has answered me as to why you all think that is so harmful yet, almost everyone walks around with a cell phone and that has been proven to kill the bees.
http://inhabitat.com/its-official-cell-phones-are-killing-bees/
there are tons of links.

Hi Starlight, I don't believe it is proven at all that mobile phones kill bees.

Even though that article is titled "It’s Official – Cell Phones are Killing Bees" the first sentence states "Scientists may have found the cause of the world’s sudden dwindling population of bees – and cell phones may be to blame."

See the wikipedia article here about the studies referred to in the article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder#Electromagnetic_radiation

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that it's okay to eat honey or not but even if mobile phones were proven to kill bees it wouldn't justify eating honey. Just as driving a car may kill small animals doesn't make it okay to intentionally kill and eat animals that could be hit by cars.

cobweb
Jun 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
It's a bit different, Starlight Butterfly. I'm sure that we accidentally walk on insects and run them over in our cars, but that is very different from confining them and using them for our own purposes.
Bees have their honey STOLEN from them, they are gassed, and even artificially inseminated by bee 'farmers'.

Korn
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Everyone here is talking about what the harm that comes to bees by collecting honey- yet no one has answered me as to why you all think that is so harmful yet, almost everyone walks around with a cell phone and that has been proven to kill the bees.
Hi, I read an article a while ago by some scientist who said that a lot of the activities humans are involved in today more or less could be considered experiments - some of them even quite risky ones, involving a lot of people. Using cell phones as much as we do today could be one of these experiments. But vegans don't have a detailed set of instructions re. what we should do and not to. If you have read enough about cell phones and bees to feel that you're sure that using cell phones is something humans shouldn't do, I really think it's a good idea to bring this up - both among vegans and non-vegans.

I tried to ask this in a post but all of my post keep getting sent everywhere and I am getting confused, and like none of my questions are getting answered.

Re. moving/merging threads: there are arguments both pro and against doing that. IMHO, it's a good idea to move a thread about dealing with a non-vegan husband to an existing section about relationships and the 'non-vegan world'. And when a general thread about non-vegan husbands/wives already exist, it seems to make sense to add your new post to that thread - with a short comment explaining that this post was from another thread.

OTOH, it doesn't make sense to merge all posts about eg. 'dinner' into one gigantic thread. In such cases, it's better to have subforums for all threads about such topics.

We get new members every day, and I certainly don't newbies them to be familiar with our structure of subforums etc, so when thread is merged with an existing one, there's usually a redirect alias in the original subforum for a little while. This should make it easy to find the new location of a post that has been moved.

One reason for not having an increasing number of threads about eg. bees/cell phones, thyroid issues, deer hunting/culling, or whether it's wrong to have 'pets' is that we already have almost 14,000 threads. In many cases, all a new member wants is to have some questions answered. When threads are merged, they often get the answers they want immediately - because the question has been answered and discussed already. We would probably have twice as many threads if we never merged (or in some cases, closed) threads about similar topics, and lots of useful info would be pushed back to pages our visitors rarely check out.

I'm not saying that this is the only good way to deal with questions that come up often - but at least now you know why this forum (and many others) do it this way.

I am here to learn how to be vegan and justify these questions and I can't seem to get the answers I need. My personal ( = not an 'official' vegan viewpoint) comment to that is that one cannot - and shouldn't - learn to become a vegan (!). :) Veganism isn't about learning a set of viewpoints or dogmas and accept them, or about living according to some rules one possibly doesn't think is making any sense. The way I see it, 'vegan' is about a really simple viewpoint; something you will or won't discover that clicks with you.

Vegans don't agree that animals don't exist for human benefit. They exist for their own 'reasons'. Humans have some qualities other animals don't have, and vice versa - so we're not 'equal'. But vegan differs from others in that we insist that all living beings - including those that aren't equal to us - still have the same right to live a life on their own premises. An example I mentioned many threads ago is that even if it would't hurt me if someone would cut other people's hair while they were sleeping, it still would be wrong to do it. Your hair is your hair, and honey belongs to the bees.

Like Risker said - even if mobile phones were proven to kill bees it wouldn't justify eating honey. I personally use my cell phone as little as possible - and did that before the bee/cell phone thing came up - because I feel, on a physical level, that cell phones are doing something with my brain which I don't enjoy.

Water, soil, plants, humans, animals and insects are constantly being bombarded by radiation from phones, TV stations, electro-magnetism, satellites, GPS and much more. If our planet one day collapses, I wouldn't be surprised if the constant multi-irradiation of everything on the Earth's surface would be found to part of problem.

Mymblesdaughter
Jun 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi

I found this recipe in an old perserves book. It was used during the war when honey was difficult to obtain. I haven't tried it as I've never been a fan of honey but it sound interesting. It's mainly sugar really so is more like jam.

Parsley Honey

6oz Fresh Parsley
1½ pints water
1lb sugar approx.
½ teaspoon vinegar or juice of 1 small lemon

Wash the parsley well and dry thoroughly. Chop it roughly, including the stalks and put into a pan with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 mins. Strain through a jelly bag and measure resulting juice. Put the juice into a clean pan with the vinegar or lemon juice and 1lb sugar for every 1 pint of parsley juice. Stir well over low hear until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 mins or so, until the mixture is clear and syrupy, like thin honey. Pour into warm, sterilized jars and cover and seal while hot.

maggielassie
Sep 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Agave syrup and golden syrup taste ten times better than honey...