PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91

fresquinho
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
This is kinda directed to xrodolfox as he seems to be the big swimmer around here ;) but if anyone else could help I'd be glad.
I just went back to the swimming pool to do some training on my own after ~1,5 years away and I feel tired and that I can't keep a decent style (i.e. my arms go all over the place, my chest is always fully horizontal etc.) after 500m non-stop or so. Should I do a little catch-up and overlapping to improve my technique before improving the distance where I actually swim unrestricted?
Thanks for your help.

treehugga
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
Fair enough treehugga. Do you find encouragement simply from the listing of your achievements and seeing how you are keeping to your food plan or is it from what other people say or have done?
(I understand the value of keeping a record but personally if I want to keep track of my food intake I find it better for me to use FitDay or keep my own list in a notebook.)

I just don't see why we can't say "I ate really healthily and on track with my plan / goal today" or "I had a bad day today, ate too much / too little" without going into the ins and outs of it. Then the thread is easier to read and there is no chance of 'triggering' anyone to feel competitive or like they are eating too much by comparison etc. But maybe I'm assuming and this isn't an issue for people anyway?

I feel that posting activity and exercise may be useful to all though.

What do others think?

Depending on the consensus I can continue to skip the list of food posts (as I always do anyway) or stop checking the thread if I decide it is not useful for me. I'm not one of the main users at the moment anyway so my view should not necessarily count for much.
If I just wanted to keep track of my own food intake I would just write it down in a note book. On here I find it helps keep me more accountable. I haven't found anyone to be competitive, but I have noticed those who appear to have obvious food groups lacking from their diet, often get these issues addressed by others and with encouragment -not criticism, make changes for the better, which may not otherwise occure.
Diet is part of being healthy. Good food intake, plus regular exercise =good health. If people are regularly posting unhealthy food practices then it can be addressed with them either on here or via PM.

treehugga
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
How about having two threads, ie

Let's get fit and healthy together - activity/exercise
Lets get fit and healthy together - dietary intake

That way both food and exercise can be logged, albeit seperately, and those who prefer to focus on one aspect over the other can just read the ones they're interested in but those who wish to log their healthy food choices can still do so in an appropriate area rather than using the general 'what did you eat today' thread!:)
I like to combine both together as they are a combined effort rather than seperate goals. I don't really want to have to go to seperate threads. Not lazy just usually very pressed for time!
The initial thread focused on goals, diet/nutrition intake and exercise (see pg 1) which is what I've always based my pages on.

TODAY

EXERCISE
GOAL - to be fit enough to get through my operation with a speedy recovery in a few months time.

1 hour Body Combat

NUTRITION/DIET

GOAL- to attempt 6 smaller meals per day including at least 3 of fruit, 4-6 veg, 2 good sources protein and some wholegrain carbs.

So far today have manged most of this:

spelt pancake
plum, frozen grapes, berries in soy smoothie
mixed veg on bruschetta
spinach pie and mixed salad with nuts and tofu.

cvC
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
S: diet coke

You've mentioned diet coke in a number of posts and may like to know that aspartame, the artificial sweetener in it, was once listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent.

My skins always been kinda bad, I'm on the pill for you skin as well & although it has improved, its still not as peachy as I want it. I guess time will tell. Btw, is there a thread on here somewhere about Acne?

I wondered if aspartame could have something to do with the acne and here are a couple of things I found on a search:

It took me ten years to realize aspartame gave me cystic acne. I drank several+ diet cokes every day and that did it. If I so much as have one serving of aspartame today I will get a hard bump in a couple days.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/beauty/msg021559169524.html

Acne is one of the known side effects of artificial sweeteners- along with MS, Lupus, fibromyalgia and a variety of other auto immune diseases being traced to the use of artificial sweeteners.
http://www.commonconnections.com/health/QOW-chocolate&acne.html

Also, I don't know what kind of toothpaste you use (if you use any), but understand that fluoride is put into the public water supply in Sydney and here's something that might encourage you to minimise your exposure to that if you don't already:

Of approximately 65 patients with treatment-refractory acne-like perioral dermatitis, all had been using toothpaste containing fluoride. When these patients were switched to non-fluoridated toothpaste, about half had a clearance of their lesions within two to four weeks. The non-responders then switched from their present toothpaste, which contained brightening and flavoring agents and other unknown chemicals, to baking soda and a commercially available mouthwash after brushing. Nearly all of these patients had almost complete clearing of their lesions. Patients who resumed fluoride toothpaste invariably developed a recurrence of the dermatitis.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_263/ai_n13795278

xrodolfox
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
This is kinda directed to xrodolfox as he seems to be the big swimmer around here ;) but if anyone else could help I'd be glad.
I just went back to the swimming pool to do some training on my own after ~1,5 years away and I feel tired and that I can't keep a decent style (i.e. my arms go all over the place, my chest is always fully horizontal etc.) after 500m non-stop or so. Should I do a little catch-up and overlapping to improve my technique before improving the distance where I actually swim unrestricted?
Thanks for your help.

I wrote about this to another member in a PM. Perhaps we can talk there?

Regardless, the short answer is: hire a *good* swim coach/instructor for a few cheap/short-term sessions. Since swimming is 90% technique, this will help you swim better, and eventually get more of the benefits from the sport. The worse your technique, not only do you not swim as efficiently, but you also reap very little of the potential benefits.

If you want more info, PM me! Let's not derail the thread. ;)

Holly78
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Good! I'm running 13.2 miles tomorrow then I've got two weeks to taper. I'll be running 6 - 8 miles at a faster pace on the Saturdays, and will do all speedwork in the week.

Fab! You will have to say how you get on...:)

Marrers
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I am extremely inactive at present and want to raise my stamina and general fitness levels (I'm getting older and need to start taking a bit of care if I am to have any chance of an illness free life).
I have bought a trampoline as I think this might be one form of exercise I could enjoy and stick with. I plan to try using it every day and to gradually build up my time on it. I was on it for the first time today but probably only for about 2-3 minutes.

I'd also like to eat better and stop over-eating, so continuing to lose weight and improve my health.
So far I am sporadically recording my food intake and trying to buy and eat more fresh vegetables and have a banana every day (I don't really like fruit).
I'm also taking several supplements which is something I have never done seriously or consistently before.

Marrers
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have just done 200 jumps on the trampoline. Might try to do this twice a day (in the morning before washing and the evening before bed - it makes me quite sweaty!) and gradually add more jumps as my stamina improves.

AnneCE
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Marrers, you've reminded me that I have a little trampoline hidden in the spare room - must have a go - I used to do it a lot but never managed 200 jumps! But I can aim for it.
Recording what you eat is great for making you conscious of what you eat and why, so you are off to a good start!

Casper
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Marrers, you might want to do your jumps before supper rather than before bed, as it can make it hard to fall asleep if you exercise before bed. You can do it! Keep up the good work!

Marrers
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I thought it might make me tired! I will try both and see which works best. Thanks.

Marrers
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Been away for a few days so not able to do any trampoline jumping since Wednesday. Have done 220 jumps today, still hoping to do this twice a day on some days at least but haven't yet had a chance to do any evening jumping.

xrodolfox
Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Oh my goodness.
I just did a swim race this weekend. My endorphins are still riding high.

Marrers
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
240 jumps today - exhausting.

Marrers
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Only 150 jumps this morning because I'm going out today (didn't want to get my hair all sweaty and have to wash it).

animaladvocate
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Only 150 jumps this morning because I'm going out today (didn't want to get my hair all sweaty and have to wash it).
If you spend 20 minutes 3 times a day before each meal on your trampette doing a jogging motion this will boost your matabolism and if you "jog" to music you will love it!

Marrers
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. Even doing 240 jumps doesn't take long, less than 10 minutes so it is not close enough to the recommended 20 minutes of exercise to keep healthy.

I try to hit my bottom with my heels on each jump and do a bit of arm movement but I keep meaning to look up what else I can do on it. (I'm too hung over to go on it at all this morning. :o)

cedarblue
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I try to hit my bottom with my heels on each jump and do a bit of arm movement

can you video that and post it on youtube?:p:D

Marrers
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
The scales said 12.02 this morning so I've lost about a stone and a half now. :)
Even so the jumping is not a pretty sight at present (think of bingo wings and spare types rippling in a g-force manner) . . . so youtube will have to wait til I've lost a bit more weight! ;)!

cedarblue
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
well done on the weight loss! :)

puffin
Mar 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well done Marrers :)

I have been trying to do more exercise. Yesterday i did 25 mins on the stepper, 100 crunches and some tricep dips, was going to do more floor work but was to knackered.

Marrers
Mar 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Only managed 150 jumps this morning because the trampoline was making such a noise every time - I think it is because it was quite wet. I was too embarrassed to carry on even though I had the energy today cos it was bringing the neighbours to their windows to investigate, despite the fact the road is being dug up at the front! Can't imagine I'll have the nerve to do that again on a quiet day but drying it would take every towel in the house I think - I did try. It was also freezing my feet too.

xrodolfox
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM
That's awesome that you are still jumping regularly!
Try again tomorrow! That's sounds like an awesome regimen for you. :)

Marrers
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I'm doing it every day and I'm really pleased with myself, I've never really liked doing any exercise til now. On Sunday I went on 3 times and clocked up about 300 jumps all together. Today the weather was awful but I managed to do 100 jumps before getting too drenched!
Lately almost every time I leave the house to have a go it starts to rain! :rolleyes:

Marrers
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yet again after noticing it is dry out there as soon as I get to the door it starts to rain, it's getting beyond a joke.

Today I did 200 jumps earlier and another 200 just now - both before the rain got too heavy. Otherwise I could have done more. I think I'm getting addicted - if it didn't make me sweat I'd be out there many times a day!

Can't do much more than 100 jumps without a brief rest though.