PDA

View Full Version : sea vegetables

Pages : [1] 2

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
i try to eat sea vegetables every day. right now i have a few recipes for soups and salads to use them in, but i am getting pretty bored eating the same things all the time. the problem is that when i try to find new recipes to use them in all i can find are fish and seafood dishes that have sea vegetables in them. does anyone else here eat them very often? can anyone tell me how they use them or give me some recipes or resources? thanks so much.

DianeVegan
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I sometimes saute them with carrots and sesame oil. I add them to soup, especially potato soup with oyster mushrooms - almost like a New England chowder (I use dulse for this one).

As a side dish, sauted with mushrooms, garlic, onions, carrots, celery - anything!

I have sprouts constantly growing so I often use them in a sprout salad with avocado (I know, you have enough salad ideas!)

If I can think of any more ideas, I'll post them.

Tigerlily
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:15 AM
What's healthy about them?

DianeVegan
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Here (http://www.seaveg.com/chart.html) is a listing of nutritional information from a U.S. company. There are also recipe ideas at this site.

Kevster
Mar 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I add them to stir frys and the like, in the UK Clearspring do Atlantic sea salad, and you can chuck them in just about anything. Rich in minerals and containing iodine. I try and eat them once or twice a week.

Dub Science
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Why not try noodles with stir-fried shitake mushrooms, sesame seeds, and toasted Nori seaweed. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, miso stock, garlic and spring onions.

Stir-fry the mushrooms and onions in sunflower and sesame oil, add the garlic, add 250ml miso stock, bring to the boil then add fresh noodles (or 'straight to wok' type noodles). Add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste, and finally scunch the toasted nori sheets into the noodles. Eat with chopsticks from a wooden bowl for added authenticity...

Cherry
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I'm know they're really healthy but I'm not at all keen. Is it just me? I find them disconcertingly fishy.

RedWellies
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Me too, Cherry, and very salty!

Cherry
Mar 24th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yeh. I quite like the 'making waves' redwood fish fingers though. They have some sort of sea vegetable in them but it must only be a tiny amount.

Sorry GG, that doesn't really help you on your quest! My friend John used to make Sushi Nori. John's sushi (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/Vegetables/sushi.htm) It was really good stuff, apart from the nori part :D If you like that too though then you'll definitely enjoy it. I love the pickled ginger.

redpepper
Mar 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi,
Well does these sea veggies have a fish odour with them..... like i know the sushi wrapper ( nori) has fish odour to them.. which makes them impossible for me to eat.... comments plz
Cheers
Redpepper

Jane M
Mar 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I quess it is a fishy odor and taste...I like it though. My childhood comfort food was dulse and potatoes boiled together and served with a splash of vinegar and a lot of butter (ok, earth balance margarine now). Nothing much fancy but makes me feel nice and cozy inside.

feral
Mar 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I'm know they're really healthy but I'm not at all keen. Is it just me? I find them disconcertingly fishy.

Me too, are they collected far out to sea? I just get grossed out with the thought of sewage being pumped into the sea! But then again I detest the smell of raw fish, makes me gagg.

tabitha
Mar 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I quite like them. I put them in soups. However, my husband can smell them a mile off and the smell makes him gag. I went through a phase of having them on bread with fake cheese and hummous too.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM
now i've found a few more and i am going to post them up here for safe keeping.

marinated arame sea salad slaw

handful dried arame sea vegetable
2 t tahini
1 t umeboshi vinegar
1/2 clove garlic, pressed
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 t olive oil
8 oz extra-firm tofu, cubed
1 T tamari or shoyu sauce
1 t sesame seeds
5 to 6 artichoke hearts, canned
1/4 c kidney beans
1/4 c black beans or chickpeas
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
12 leaves fresh lettuce

cover arame in cold water, soak overnight in refrigerator (for fast preparation simmer for 10-15 minutes in water). drain, refresh with cold water, drain again. chop arame coarsely.
combine tahini, vinegar, garlic, lemon, and olive oil and whisk with a fork. add arame, toss until coated, and refrigerate, if desired, until ready to assemble dish.
toss tofu with tamari and sprinkle with sesame seeds. set aside.
combine artichoke, beans, lemon, and seasoning in a bowl. set aside.
lay out a thick bed of lettuce on each dinner plate. place mound of arame in center. encircle with tofu and artichoke and bean mixture.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:57 AM
What's healthy about them?

sea vegetables are among the most nutrient and mineral rich foods on the planet. some researchers believe that part of the reason that the Japanese have the lowest incidence of most forms of cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, and diseases related to obesity has something to do with the fact that sea vegetables are a regular part of their diet. sea vegetables have 10 to 20 times more usable minerals than vegetables grown on land. this aids in the growth of nails, hair, bones, and teeth. many advocate the addition of sea vegetables in the diet to compensate for overprocessing of food and denatured soil which means lower nutrients in land vegetables. they are said to: rebalance hormones, reduce water retention, decrease bad blood cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugars, aid in treating digestive disorders, cleanse the intestinal tract, purify and alkalize the blood (they are said to have the same composition as human blood), act as an antioxident, help metabolize insulin in diabetics, prevent flatulence, aid digestion, cleanse the lymphatic system, enhance the immune system. there is a section about it in the book The Okinawa Project which was written about the diet and lifestyle habits of the longest-living group of people in the world.
this is a pretty good book to read if you haven't yet. it compares their mostly vegan diet with the USDA recommendations to show what is wrong in the typical Western diet. and even though it doesn't say we should stop eating meat altogether it does show that when these people started to add more meat to their diet their lifespan shortened considerably.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:37 AM
yes, i can see them being an acquired taste. i like them a lot. i don't think they taste fishy, just salty like sea water. i eat toasted nori instead of potato chips.
i have another book that i am getting rid of because it has a lot of fish recipes in it. i use a lot of the vegan recipes though, so i am going to put them up in this thread before i get rid of it. the book is called Vegetables From the Sea: Everyday Cooking With Sea Greens.

classic miso soup

5 dried shiitakes
4 inch strop wakame, rinsed, soaked, drained, and finely chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 T white miso
1/2 lb silken tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 inch piece fresh ginger or 1 T ginger juice
1/4 c chopped scallions

lightly rinse the mushrooms under warm running water for 10 seconds. soak them in 1 cup warm water until soft, about 15 minutes. drain, cut off the tough stems, and slice the mushrooms thinly. place the mushrooms, wakame, onion, and carrot in a dutch oven or soup pot with 7 cups water. bring to a boil. reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
place the miso in a small bowl and add 1/4 cup of broth from the vegetables. using a fork, stir the miso and broth until the mixture is a smooth paste. add the miso and tofu to the pot.
grate the ginger on a fine grater. squeeze the ginger pulp in the palm of your hand to extract the juice (discard the pulp). add the juice to the pot. stir and simmer for 5 minutes. serve garnished with the scallions.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM
creamy white bean soup

1 1/2 c cannellini beans, picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight in 3 c water
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
2 ribs celery, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 parsnip, cut into 1 inch rounds
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
2 T smoked dulse flakes
2 t sea salt, or to taste
dash of black pepper
olive oil to taste

drain the beans and rinse with cool fresh water. place the beans in a dutch oven or soup pot with 6 cups of water. bring to a boil and boil uncovered for 30 minutes.
reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the bay leaf and thyme. simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. with tongs, remove the bay leaf and thyme. add the celery and parsnip.
heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the onion and potatoes, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes. the potatoes should be golden at the edges. stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. add the potato-onion-tomato mixture to the beans. mix well, adding the dulse flakes, salt, and pepper. simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the ingredients are very soft. ladle the soup into bowls and float a drizzle of olive oil on top of each serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:01 AM
curried sweet potato soup

2 T coconut oil
2 large onions, cut in 1/2 inch dice
2 1/2 T curry powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground cardamom
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
3 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
8 inch strip wakame, rinsed under cool running water for 3 seconds
salt and pepper
12 fresh cilantro leaves

heat the oil in a soup pot over low heat for 10 seconds. saute the onions until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, and cardamom. mix well until the onions are coated with spices and release their fragrance, 2-3 minutes. add the sweet potato and apples to the onion spice mixture. stir to coat well with the seasonings.
place the wakame strip in the soup pot with 6 cups water. bring to a boil. lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 40 mnutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. using a slotted spoon, left the potatoes and apples from the pot and place them in a blender, filling the contnainer until half full. pour in enough broth to blend easily. avoid overfilling the blender, as hot soup may splash out.
transfer the blended soup to a clean pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. ladle into individual bowls and garnish each with 2 cilantro leaves.
variations:
substitute vegetable stock for water. for an extra rich version use 3 cups coconut milk and 3 cups water or stock. alaria, the atalntic variety of wakame can also be used in this recipe. if substituting use a 4 inch piece of alaria because it is saltier and a bit tougher than wakame.

Jesse
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I usually sprinkle some green seaweed on my food, it doesn´t taste like almost anything when used like that. I have tried to eat sushi, but it tastes so much like fish that sometimes I almost puke. Although I know it is not fish, the taste is just too much sometimes.

I have also heard that people who eat seaweed have a more clear complexion because it cleanses the skin, and that is supposedly why the japanese usually have a beautiful complexion.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
spiced slaw
1/2 c kiri kombu, rinsed under cool running water for 15 seconds
1/2 c wild nori (or laver) rinsed under cool running water for 15 seconds
1/2 small head of red cabbage, shredded
1/2 small head napa cabbage, shredded
1 small jicama, peeled and cut in thin 2 inch strips
1/4 red onion, minced
1 t sea salt

dressing:
1 c tofutti sour cream
2 T toasted sesame oil
2 T apple cider vinegar
3 T ginger juice
1 1/2 T medium hot sauce

bring 2 cups water to a boil, add the kombu and nori, and boil for 15 minutes, drain through a strainer and rinse with cold water for 10 seconds. coarsely chop the sea vegetables together. set aside.
in a large salad bowl, mix the cabbages, jicama, onion, and salt. work this mixture by ahnd, firmly rubbing the salt into the vegetables. in 5 minutes moisture will be drawn out of the vegetables and onto your hands. add the chopped sea vegetables. mix well.
whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well with two wooden spoons. cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to marinate. stir once before serving.

*regular kombu can replace the kiri kombu, but it requires 10 minutes soaking time after its initial rinsing and before boiling.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
wild nori, not processed like sheet "sushi" nori, has an amazing crunchy texture that holds up through rinsing, soaking, and cooking and is also less sweet than sheet nori. once soaked wild nori turns a translucent purplish blue.

wild nori in black eyed peas

5 small sundried tomatoes
1 c black-eyed peas, soaked in water for 2 hours
1/2 c firmly packed wild nori
1 t tamari
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 T brown rice vinegar
1 t umeboshi vinegar
2 t dijon mustard
1/2 T pure maple syrup
1/2 t sea salt
3 T chopped chives
3 T minced parsley
3 T chopped cilantro

cover the tomatoes with 1 1/2 c boiling water and soak for 15 minutes, until they have completely softened. pour off the water and finely chop the tomatoes.
drain the peas and rinse with cold water. place them in a pot with 4 cups water and bring to a boil. lower the flame and simmer 20 minutes, until tender but not falling apart. drain off the cooking liquid. set aside in a large bowl and add the tomatoes.
boil the wild nori and tamari uncovered in 1 cup water for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid evaporates. cool, finely chop, and add to the peas.
whisk together the olive oil, vinegars, mustard, maple syrup, and salt. add the chives, parsley, and cilantro. add the mixture to the peas and stir well. serve chilled or at room temperature.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:41 AM
this is one of my favorites, it is so fresh and clean tasting. you can add a little steamed tofu to make it a more filling dish if you like.

soba salad

8 oz package soba noodles
1/2 c lightly packed arame
2 t tamari
1/2 c toasted sesame oil
3 T brown rice vinegar
2 T pure maple syrup
1 T dijon mustard
2 t sea salt
4 c bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
6 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

in a large pot boil 3 quarts of water. add the noodles and cook until the noodles are the same color inside and outside, 5-7 minutes. drain and rinse under warm water and place in a large serving bowl.
rinse the arame in a bowl of cool water for 5 seconds and drain. cover with water and soak for 7 minutes. lift the arame out of the water with your hands and place it in a small bowl. add the tamari and stir well to coat the arame. add ot the noodles, mixing well with two large wooden spoons.
whisk together in a small bowl the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and salt. pour the dressing over the noodles, mixing well again. add the sprouts and scallions and give the mixture a quick toss before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:14 AM
this one is only for the hardcore sea vegetable lover. sea vegetables that have been soaked but not cooked more closely resemble those in their natural state.

crunch n brine salad

1 c loosely packed wakame
1/2 c loosely packed kiri kombu
1/2 c loosely packed sea palm
2 T tamari
6 T brown rice vinegar
1/4 c pure maple syrup
1 T plus 1 T umeboshi vinegar

in a large bowl rinse the sea vegetables twice with cool water for 10 seconds and drain well. set aside in a large bowl.
bring 6 cups of water and the tamari to a boil. pour over the sea vegetables and let sit for 10 minutes. drain.
whisk together the vinegars and maple syrup. mix well with the sea vegetables. cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

this is delicious served inside radicchio leaves or dressed with smoked dulse and basil infusion.

smoked dulse and basil infusion

1/4 c tightly packed smoked dulse
1 1/2 c olive oil
1/2 bulb garlic, cloves peeled and minced
12 medium basil leaves, coarsely chopped

rinse the dulse under cool running water for a few seconds, then squeeze out excess water. chop into coarse pieces.
in a glass jar combine the oil, garlic, basil, and dulse. close the jar and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before using. refrigerated, this will keep for 10 days.
*roasted garlic can be substituted for the garlic.

rosemary with alaria infusion

1/4 c tightly packed alaria
1/4 t sea salt
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and coarsely chopped to make about 2 T

rinse the alaria well in cool water for 15 seconds, then cover with cool water and soak for 10 minutes. lift it out with your hands, squeeze out excess water, and chop into coarse pieces.
in a glass jar combine the oil, garlic, salt, alaria, and rosemary.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:24 AM
this is perfect summertime food.

citrus hijiki with roasted nuts

1/2 c hijiki
1 c unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 c fresh orange juice
1/4 t sea salt
1 1/2 T walnut oil, plus some for drizzling
1 t balsamic vinegar
3 blood oranges, separated into pieces without membranes
2 T chopped fresh dill
1 bunch frisee
1/2 c toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

rinse the hijiki in a bowl of cool water for 15 seconds. drain. soak in the bowl with water to cover for 30 minutes. the hijiki will soak up most of the water. lift the hijiki out of the water with your hands and squeeze out any remaining water. discard the soaking water.
place the hijiki, pineapple juice, orange juice, and salt in a pot. bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the juice is evaporated, 20-30 minutes.
transfer the cooked hijiki to a serving bowl. add the oil and vinegar, mixing well. add the orange pieces and dill, tossing lightly to combine.
place small sections of the frisee on each salad plate and lightly drizzle with walnut oil. place 3/4 c of the hijiki salad in the center of each plate. garnish with the walnuts and serve.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:33 AM
jungle green salad with seeds

1 cd loosely packed kiri kombu
1/2 c loosely packed arame
1 c loosely packed sea palm
1/4 c tamari
2 T mirin
1 T pure maple syrup
1/4 c walnut oil
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 c brown sesame seeds, toasted
1 c unsalted roasted peanuts, lightly crushed

rinse the kiri kombu, arame, and sea palm together in a bowl of cool water for 10 seconds. drain. repeat
in a small pot bring 4 cups water, the kombu, arame, sea palm, tamari, mirin, and maple syrup to a boil and boil for 15 minutes, uncovered.
drain the sea vegetables in a colander and place in a serving bowl. pour the oil and vinegar over the warm sea vegetables and toss well. add all the sesame seeds and peanuts and toss thoroughly again. serve warm.