PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Cowboy
Jul 27th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Been vegan for about 5 years now, was vegetarian for about 5 years before that. Becoming vegan was honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. :)

Yep, me too. I became l/o in the fall of 2000, vegan in July of 2005. I love it and cannot for the life of me imagine being anything but vegan. I'm actually starting to worry about whether or not there will be nursing homes for me! :lol:

horselesspaul
Jul 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
The end of next month marks my 20 year veganniversary. Oooh, cake!

RubyDuby
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Wow! congrats. :)

horselesspaul
Aug 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM
Cheers RubyDuby! Best thing ever apart from having a lovely vegan daughter, which totally rules.

sandra
Aug 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Yes, congratulations on your 20th vegan anniversary Paul and your lovely vegan daughter too! :)

I wish I was celebrating 20 years of being vegan.

Marten
Aug 1st, 2010, 11:05 AM
On Tuesday I'm vegetarian for exactly 1 year, 26th August is my first vegan anniversary! :)

rainbow
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM

Wow, congratulations! Brilliant! My 20 year veganniversary is 16 March next year, can't wait! (I thought I was the only person who called it a veganniversary, but glad to see others had the same idea!) Went vegetarian when I was 7, vegan when I was 11. My parents made me see a nutritional "expert" who assured them that my mental and physical growth would be retarded. Thank goodness my parents were too sensible to listen! [I have a PhD, a thriving academic career and am taller than most of my Mum's side of the family, so I got the last laugh there...]
Hope you have a great celebration horselesspaul!

harpy
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Congratulations all. Rainbow, it's interesting your parents made you see the "expert" and then had the sense to ignore the advice :-) You must have been a perceptive and strong-willed 11-year-old!

rainbow
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Definitely strong-willed! I made it very clear that my mind was made up and that was that. My parents were already vegetarian, and the dietician was insisting that I needed to eat fish, so it wasn't too hard for them to dismiss the nonsense that this "expert" was spouting. I don't know if they thought it was a phase I would grow out of, but they made the (wise) decision that the best approach was to make sure I ate as healthily as possible - which would not be the case if they didn't let me embrace my veganism. They were really great about it, actually - from raiding health food shops to negotiating with my school. I believed then, as now, that it was an irreversible decision, and I have never gone back on it (I really don't think I could). My brother went vegan less than two months later and has also never gone back, and my Mum consumes vegan food 90+% of the time. With two vegan kids, she ended up cooking vegan all the time, so I learned to cook as a vegan and have almost no concept of what to do with non-vegan ingredients.

Barry
Aug 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM

Congrats Paul, that's awesome!

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!). I've been veggie for the majority of my twenties anyway, which is something I'm pretty proud of - almost a decade of no meat!

sandra
Aug 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
On Tuesday I'm vegetarian for exactly 1 year, 26th August is my first vegan anniversary! :)

Congratulations Marten! :) I wish I had converted from being vegetarian to vegan far sooner than I did.

Wow, congratulations! Brilliant! My 20 year veganniversary is 16 March next year, can't wait! (I thought I was the only person who called it a veganniversary, but glad to see others had the same idea!) Went vegetarian when I was 7, vegan when I was 11.

Congratulations rainbow on nearly 20 years of being vegan. :)

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!). I've been veggie for the majority of my twenties anyway, which is something I'm pretty proud of - almost a decade of no meat!

You have everything to be proud of Barry! :)

I love the fact that each year that passes for me now is a vegan year! :) I became vegetarian when I was 16 and it took me so long to become vegan. I regret that I wasn't vegan much much sooner...........but at least I am now, and have been for nearly 5 years! :)

Barry
Aug 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Congratulations Marten! :) I wish I had converted from being vegetarian to vegan far sooner than I did.

Congratulations rainbow on nearly 20 years of being vegan. :)

You have everything to be proud of Barry! :)

I love the fact that each year that passes for me now is a vegan year! :) I became vegetarian when I was 16 and it took me so long to become vegan. I regret that I wasn't vegan much much sooner...........but at least I am now, and have been for nearly 5 years! :)

5 years = awesome!

Sandra I've just noticed that we joined VF on the same month in the same year (April 2006), but you have almost exactly ten times more posts than me! I think I should be more active on the board.. :p

Stuart
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Past the one year mark, I think it was around May/June of last year I underwent the conversion. It's been easy to keep to the strictures of the lifestyle, but perversely, harder to remember at a moments recital just *all* of the ins and outs, and farming practices that had me so appalled in the first place: there's a lot to remember, but the intitial indignation has held fast it seems in my case.

alisont
Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I forgot to post on here but it was my 5 year 'vegan annivarsary' at the begining of July -celebrated in Rome on holiday by going for a meal at the top veggie restaurant there - and they had a fab vegan choc cake:D

harpy
Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Sounds good Alison - is the top restaurant there still Margutta? I have been there once or twice but can't remember what I ate; think I must have been overwhelmed by its poshness :)

horselesspaul
Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
I forgot to post on here but it was my 5 year 'vegan annivarsary' at the begining of July -celebrated in Rome on holiday by going for a meal at the top veggie restaurant there - and they had a fab vegan choc cake:D
Nice one alisont.
x

horselesspaul
Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!).
Seven or eight years? Good job Barry.
I only remember because I met my lovely daughter BassPixie's mother when she was three months pregnant and she was a vegan and I was a new vegetarian. She decided to become a vegetarian and I became a vegan. Ideally suited...hahaha. We struggled on for another eight years together...
BassPixie will be 20 next year and she's been vegan since she was 14 and vegetarian from birth. Very proud of her.

sandra
Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
5 years = awesome!

Sandra I've just noticed that we joined VF on the same month in the same year (April 2006), but you have almost exactly ten times more posts than me! I think I should be more active on the board.. :p

You should be more active Barry. I for one always love reading your posts. :)
I didn't realise we joined together either................it will be 5 years next April hasn't the time flew by? :)

BassPixie will be 20 next year and she's been vegan since she was 14 and vegetarian from birth. Very proud of her.

She is a very lucky girl to have two such great parents...............it must be wonderful to have NEVER eaten meat. :)

Tigerlily
Aug 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I can't believe I've been vegan for so long. I had a little set back where I wasn't vegan for 6-8 months but that was ages ago now, almost three years ago. I was vegan for 2.5 years then + 2.5 years now= 5 years, 6 years in November! I might celebrate and throw a party! :P

Kimberlily1983
Aug 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Almost 5 months! Still a baby, but it's for life. :) (And as I mentioned before, have been vegetarian for over 9 years now)

Tigerlily
Aug 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Woo hoo!

MoonDance
Aug 13th, 2010, 05:08 AM
9 months today! WOOT! *brings out the cookies*

Hemlock
Aug 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Since I joined this forum in October 2005, wow I've got my 5th anniversary coming up :bigsmile: I think this calls for a celebration.

megrainbows
Aug 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
5 months & 20 days, of the rest of my vegan life :)

IslandPrincess7
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:23 AM
four days! woot!