PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

drussell4801
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM
[B]I was vegan for 2 years, ending in 2001. I became malnourished because I didn't pay attention to my diet at all. I just started back up about 2 weeks ago. Gonna do it right this time. :)

jamaicadanceska
Jul 20th, 2004, 08:09 PM
i celebrated my first year of veganism just the other day, july 17th. i had quit eating most dairy (other than cheese) and all meat other than fish, the i realized how much of a hypocrite i was being. i had also been trying to go vegan for a long time.. and now after a year i feel more healthy than ever, as well as feeling like a better person.

tsunami
Jul 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Never heard of veganism until i was 14 in 9th grade(2001), in october, then went vegan in november, this year is my third year being vegan. I was vegetarian for about/less than a year, then found out about animal cruelty and veganism from another student friend, and went vegan afterwards. So glad i met her and made the choice! ^_^

tsunami
Jul 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Never heard of veganism until i was 14 in 9th grade(2001), in october, then went vegan in november, this year is my third year being vegan. I was vegetarian for about/less than a year, then found out about animal cruelty and veganism from another student friend, and went vegan afterwards. So glad i met her and made the choice! ^_^

Michelle
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:54 AM
I've been vegan for 2 days :) I've been a vegetarian for almost 8 years. A few months after I went veggie, I tried veganism for a couple of months, but didn't see it through. I decided a couple of days ago that it was time to do more. My daughter (2) is a vegetarian so far, but my partner is a meat-eater. I can only hope that I can influence her and educate her enough to follow my example. She loves to see farm animals and her favorite movie right now is Babe...so there ya go :)

Sheena
Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Been vegetarian for a few months now, and am about to go vegan grocery shopping for the first time today.

Veganmama
Jul 24th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I became a Vegetarian 19 years ago and have been a Vegan for about 6 of those years

eve
Jul 25th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Hi veganmama, are you part of the Vegans Unite group? http://www.vegansunite.org.au/melbourne/index.php

Veganmama
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM
no eve, i'll go and check it out, thanks :)

veganesquire
Aug 11th, 2004, 04:52 AM
September 1 will be seven years for me! (vegetarian since 1988, and vegan since 1997) I can't remember life before veganism! I remember when I went vegetarian - I was already the black sheep of the family, but for some reason this threw everyone into a panic. They thought it was so odd. They asked, "But you eat eggs and dairy, right?" I said, "Of course! Vegans are just freaky extremists." Oh, god. I was so brainwashed! All it ook was a "Why Vegan?" - Thanks Vegan Action!

veganesquire
Aug 11th, 2004, 04:52 AM
September 1 will be seven years for me! (vegetarian since 1988, and vegan since 1997) I can't remember life before veganism! I remember when I went vegetarian - I was already the black sheep of the family, but for some reason this threw everyone into a panic. They thought it was so odd. They asked, "But you eat eggs and dairy, right?" I said, "Of course! Vegans are just freaky extremists." Oh, god. I was so brainwashed! All it ook was a "Why Vegan?" - Thanks Vegan Action!

animalsvoice
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Interesting poll....!

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
I became vegan a few days ago, after three years of being vegetarian. I never thought eggs and dairy were so... so... so... Cruel! I am going to try to get a vegan campaign organized somewhere here in iceland, and Currently working on influencing my friends. I'm also going to some other forums, (www.rumandmonkey.com) to explain my point there. Actually, my influence to become vegan was www.milksucks.com . So far I'm doing very well in my veganism, and confusing my friends quite a bit. heh, I feel better mentally and physically. I'm really happy I found this forum, now I'm looking for more vegans around my age here in Iceland, mabe just close by, like norway or denmark or sweden? Yay, I speak a lot!

Wanda
Aug 16th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I am going to try to get a vegan campaign organized somewhere here in iceland
Wow! A vegan in Iceland!
I have only been to the Iceland airport when flying Iceland Air once. That was a rough airport to find some vegan food! Couldn't even find an apple or something!
I would like to wish you a lot of luck starting something there!

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 18th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Wow! A vegan in Iceland!
indeed, it's cool. First one in Iceland with my name, and one of the few vegans. A little about me: I wouldn't hurt a fly. :D

(I like the big grin smilie)

Veggie4Life139
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:20 PM
I've been vegan 5 days so far!

TwentyFiveButtons
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
I've only been vegan for about two months, and honestly I haven't seen much difference, even though before that I was an evil, hypocritical carnivore. I'm definitely proud of myself though.

I guess for me, the changes have mostly been mental - before, I practically refused to eat anything green, my favorite food was steak, and I seriously believed that meat was necessary for good health; now I keep catching myself forgetting that meat and fur are still legal.

Roxy
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Good for you TwentyfiveButtons! Positive mental changes are a good thing :)

snaffler
Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
I went veggie at the age of 11 after seeing a cow shot with a captive bolt gun :( learned all I could about being veggie got into animal rights at 15 went vegan at 17 - 18ish dead strict by 19... errrmmm I am 33 now...sssshhhh no old bugger jokes...

On a health note, I was a tubby little buggerback then I am not now..I have more of a zest for life and loads more enegy. And I have been told I look a lot younger than my age (tend to act it as well LOL) which all in is not a bad thing and yes I think veganism has had lots to do with it.

I need to keep up my vegan vits otherwise I can get ill easy in the winter but my stamina and strength is far better than ever.

Is that the kind of example you mean ? hope I understood the thread ok :-)

Liberate
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:13 PM
My friends said I wouldnt last a month. Its now been a year

snaffler
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Now thats going to show what an old bugger I am lol

wuggy
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I've been meatless for 16 years, vegan for a sum total of 4.5 years, with an unfortunate break in the middle!
Life-long commitment now. :)

veganblue
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I became vegetarian on the 11th of January 1992, and often vegan but now have been vegan since 1999. It took me a year to convince my Mum, but became vegetarian when I was 14. Only recently have I been associating with other vegans.

gertvegan
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:25 PM
I've been vegan for maybe 4 years, veggie for maybe 3 years before that, but as it was a transition from one to other, no real date was diaried.

Artichoke47
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Yay! I don't remember what date in October I stopped eating animal products, but it was definitely in the mid or early part. I wasn't a vegan until about November or December when I stopped the use of animal products in other respects, but I digress.

After just one year, my cholesterol is 142 (though I don't know what it waas before). My LDL/HDL ratio is 2.9, which is considered optimum and I guess what most vegans are!

I'm so happy to hear that my horrible prior diet/effects from it are being reversed every single day with my healthier, more ethical way of eating and living. :)