PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

mysh
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Oustanding!
Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiration! ;)

MzNatural
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Congratulations on a healthy year and many more to come!

Roxy
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Congratulations Artichoke! :D

Artichoke47
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Thank you! :D

boomer
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Congrats, I'm at the year stage as well. I've never felt better.

Gorilla
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:54 PM
well done Artichoke!

i've been vegan a year or so now too, have no idea about my cholesterol levels but feel pretty healthy. :)

Artichoke47
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I had to get a blood test for my disability insurance. I HATE to have my blood taken. I asked them for a copy of the results. It is my blood, after all.

Anyway, that's how I got the results! I am very happy. I ate too many animal products as a teenager and even from 18 on when I was on my own. I am so glad that I changed my life around and that it is already showing up inside my body. :)

MzNatural
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:11 PM
A vegetarian for 12 years and I have been Vegan for less than 1 month.

cowpie
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Congratulations, Artichoke! :D

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Happy vegan birthday artichoke! :p

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 20th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Yay for Artichoke! Man...you are so knowledgeable and passionate about your Veganism...it seems as though you must have been doing this for many years! You make it look easy, practical and fun! Blessings to you on your Vegan Birthday! ;)

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Blessings to you on your Vegan Birthday! ;)

Vegan birthday is MY word ;)
Word stealer :D hehe

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Well I *usually* say "Vegan Anniversary" ... ;)

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:09 AM
:) :) :) :) :) :)
- I am procrastinating...I am "doing" a language and literacy essay and I soooo can't be stuffed

gertvegan
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Happy veganniversary Artichoke47, boomer, and that Gorilla. :D

Artichoke47
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Thank you, everyone! :D

Yes, I am very hardcore. I lived in an unenlightened state for far too long, CC. ;)

Trendygirl
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:14 AM
WOW! I thought from all your intelligent posts on veganism that you had been vegan for many years! Well done on making it to the year mark and for leaning so much on the issue.

Pete
Nov 28th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I've been vegan for over 18 yrs now (blooming heck :eek: makes me sound dead old).
I think the question about how you feel & problems when becoming vegan come dow to your dietary choices.
If you become vegan, eat in red veg everyday (a vegan/veggie fast food place that does burgers etc) or eat mainly refined flour & heaps of sugar, then problems will follow, but if you try to balance your diet & make sure you get B12 & your EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids), then most people tend to feel better than when on either a veggie or omni diet.
If you'd like any advice on diet. I could do it here or if you'd prefer you could e-mail me (if you don't fancy your details being plastered over the net :) )
I'd need your weight (& whether the weight is mainly fat, muscle etc), height, activity level, current diet (roughly, if you don't have a proper breakdown). A list of any supplements you take, also a list of any problems you have at the moment (oh yea, & any vices, booze, smoking etc).
Sounds a lot I know, but the more we know, the better we can help. For my trainees we often run through complete dietary breakdowns, habits etc & really dig out any lurking problems, that's before they even touch a weight!

Fruitbat
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Like any diet, a healthily-balanced diet is not detrimental to the health - the only difference is that veganism get sfar more bad publicity. A healthy vegan diet is likely to be the healthiest of all diets.

I have been fully vegan almost 2 years and semi vegan (veggie the rest of the time) for 1 yr before that. I have never felt so healthy and happy and good-looking before. I do stupid amounts of sport, I am rarely ill and I have no health complaints. I avoid wheat 80% of the time, eat organic as much as I can afford, combine soy and lentils beans nuts and seeds for protein, avoid processed foods, eat about 50/50 raw and lightly cooked foods. My weight stabilised after an Eating Disorder and since beginning weight-lifting I have become strong and gained mass. I quote a sports centre staff person talking to a friend as I was running on the track in front of the centre, he has seen me progress from a severely anorexic vegetarian to the vegan that I am now : "She never stops - never seen anyone like her , she's the wonder of us all at the sports centre - must spend more time that us here- and she was a right scrawny thing when she first started coming here too"

Cal
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Vegan since April 1990 so 15 year anniversary this month. :)

Vegetarian for about 10 years before that, which was a cop out now that I think back on it. :(

RockyRaccoon
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Oh dear, I was scanning down the list of options and I accidentally clicked on 1985-1994. I meant to click on 2005. I went vegan the first week of January this year.

PinkLogik
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I've been vegan since I was 26. I decided that I was 'officially' a vegan on January 3rd 2003. So I've been vegan for 2 years and 4 months now. I turned vegetarian at 14 (I was a few months off being 15). At that time I consumed eggs (yuk!) and milk (double-yuk!!!!), then when I turned 22 I decided to stop eating eggs (or anything with eggs in). It's funny cos when I say that ate eggs and milk, I never actually liked eggs or milk (ie I never could actually drink milk on it's own, or consume anything that resembled an egg before and I've never been able to - this has been from being a child), so it was always things that contained milk or eggs. I used to love cheese however, but once I'd given it up for a month I stopped craving it. Was I addicted??? :eek:

Oh, and I also tried being a vegan when I was 20 years old.... I lasted 3 weeks!! Ack....! Looking back I think I viewed it as more of a restriction than a philosophy, and I was probably not ready (???!!) I laugh about it now..... :rolleyes: :D

PinkLogik
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM

Vegetarian for about 10 years before that, which was a cop out now that I think back on it. :(

That's excellent Cal! :) Don't beat yourself up about being vegetarian for years before being vegan, I think it's a normal progression. I'm pretty sure most people here can recall the same. :)

feline01
Apr 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Happy Anniversary Cal!! 15 years is impressive. Think of how many animal lives you have saved. :D

Cal
Apr 6th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks feline01 and Neptunes_Girl! :)