PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

beanstew
Sep 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM
10-13 years vegan I think. Ambiguity down to the fact that I have enough trouble working out how long I've been in a given job or lived in a particular house. I'm one of those people that has to work out how old I am if asked! I'm pretty sure I switched from being very vegetarian to fully vegan at a Glastonbury festival but I went to a few of those in my younger days, too much hassle getting tickets now so I don't bother and the folkie festivals are more my scene anyway.

I went vegetarian when I left home (17 or so years ago, yikes - where does the time go) to go to University but had never eaten much meat anyway so it was pretty easy.

Very happy with being vegan, feel healthy and glad to be minimising the suffering and environmental impact of my life.

Billy
Sep 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Went veggie in '93, and then vegan at some point in '94 - it was a bit of a gradual thing, not from one day to the other, but I think I had it nailed within a few weeks. Never looked back since :D

Spud Addict
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Since April 2005. So much happier now. :)

vєgαи gιяℓ
Sep 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Been a vegan for just over a year now!!!
And lovin it!!!!!!

Blue moon
Sep 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
It'll be 7 years in a week or so... must celebrate somehow (chocolate involved I think:rolleyes:)
vegetarian for, er, about 10 (?) years previously

I've lived more years meatless than I did meaty, for some trivial reason that makes me quite happy:D

Gorilla
Sep 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I've lived more years meatless than I did meaty, for some trivial reason that makes me quite happy:D

me too! :) (15 years and counting meat-free) i've got a long way to go before i've lived longer as a vegan than not though... (i'll be 49 then! yikes - not a good thought!)

fondducoeur
Sep 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I've been vegan for 7 1/2 months...I can't believe its been that long even:) I was vegetarian for about two years before.

blondemummy
Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
2 months and I feel great!

umbilical
Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
it's been 9 years now for me

Aims
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Since 2005. had my 2 year "veganiversary" early October

MarkAnthony
Nov 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Nearly two years, in January. :)

salty
Jan 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Nearly 19 years and vegetarian for about 4 years before that. I must remember to have a big 20 yr celebration next year!!!!!!!!!

ellaminnowpea
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Salty! This is so amazing you've been vegan for so long! I really admire you and can't wait until I can have a 20 year celebration. How did you become vegan?

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Just about 4 years now! It was January 2004 when I became a vegan - but I can't remember the specific date.

salty
Jan 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi ellaminnowpea, I became vegetarian at the age of 12 because I didn't feel right eating animals when I liked them so much. I joined the vegetarian society who sent magazines with information about intensive egg/dairy farming....and just couldn't be a part of it. At 16 I became vegan and it's a whole way of life. I think if you are vegetarian because you can't bear so see suffering, then it's even more natural to become vegan.
I have never known any other vegans and have continually had to defend/ explain my beliefs (I live in an area strong in farming ). So it's such a breath of fresh air to join this site, hooray!!:)

fiveqs
Feb 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Great, I hadn't thought about it that way before. I'll have to be just shy of 101 years old (or just over a century if you prefer). Turned 50 end of Nov07 and been Vegan approaching a month and a half. Well... I guess my odds of making 101 are better now :)
Paul Q

me too! :) (15 years and counting meat-free) i've got a long way to go before i've lived longer as a vegan than not though... (i'll be 49 then! yikes - not a good thought!)

Est
Feb 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
2 weeks today. I was veggie for 3 years as a teenager and really regret having given that up. Going vegan wasn't "planned" - I just had the thought, spent 2 days researching it (eating veggie again those 2 days) and did it! Best decision I've made for a long time :)

flying plum
Feb 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It's a year this month for me, although it's still even now and on-going progress with things like household products.

I wish i knew the exact date so i could have a party! heh heh :)

amanda

howdawg
Feb 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's a year this month for me, although it's still even now and on-going progress with things like household products.

I wish i knew the exact date so i could have a party! heh heh :)

amanda

Have a party anyway!!!

ivandurago
Mar 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Started a vegetarian diet about 4 or 5 years ago, and have been vegan for just about 2 now.

Linxie
Apr 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
1 year today!!! Hip hip hooray! I thought turning vegan would be so hard but its really been so easy (would have been easier still if I was any good at cooking! lol)

maikeru
Apr 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Then happy birthday-sort-of-type-thing-day, Linxie!

Michael.

Chandra
Apr 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
June 24, 2008 will be 12 years vegan! I went vegan overnight after attending a Washington DC Animal Rights conference and March for the Animals in 1996. I was already vegetarian but, at the time, didn't understand the need to be vegan. Still, all the speakers urged us to go vegan and I greatly respected them and figured they knew something I didn't know. So, I pledged to go vegan and sought out the information later. My biggest concern at the time was what to substitute for cream in my coffee. I'm not sure soymilk or creamer was readily available back then, or very good. Had I known what lay ahead of me, I would have realized the biggest hurdle is the social one.

missbettie
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Last month I have been vegan for 1 year!!! its odd too because I am probably the happiest I have ever been in my life...I think being vegan has helped contrbute to this...:D

Huddy
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Last month I have been vegan for 1 year!!! its odd too because I am probably the happiest I have ever been in my life...I think being vegan has helped contrbute to this...:D
Happy Belated Vegan Birthday Miss Bettie:D

I will be celebrating my one year anniversary in the first week of August this year-very excited:p
I too think that becoming vegan has helped me become happier-I am alot more at peace in my mind (my depression has become alot less :o)