PDA

View Full Version : The Bread Making / Recipe Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

cedarblue
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM
i just leave it out, dont replace it.

i think the idea is that the milk powder will rehydrate with the water and act with sugar and yeast to make a slightly lighter loaf.

snivelingchild
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Now I bake my own bread. I used to be terrible (even the squirrels wouldn't eat my first few loaves), but now I'm pretty good and it's sooo much fun. Right now I'm baking a loaf so we will have bread when hurricane Jeanne comes through tomorrow. I think I've become addicted to baking! Anyway, it's quite easy. I just mix yeast, 1/2 a cup of warm water, and a tablespoon of agave nectar in a bowl until the yeast dissolves. Then I add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, beat, and let rise for 15 minutes. Then I add 3/4 cup more warm water and 2 tablespoons salt. Then I gradually mix in about 2 cups whole wheat flour, and knead while adding more flour until it is no longer sticky, then let it rise again. I put it in a buttered (soy butter) loaf pan, and let rise for a third time. Then I bake it for and hour at 375 degrees, with a pan of water in the lower grid, to get a lovely little loaf.

Next time I'm going to try putting some agave nectar and oats on the crust and see how that turns out.

I used to spend forever in the bread isle finding the right kind of bread, but now I can just make whatever kind of loaf I'm in the mood for.

Andie
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Does anyone have a recipe for Ezeckiel Bread which I'm probably spelling wrong!! It sounds so good but is expensive. Thanks.

mysh
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:18 AM
I don't have the recipe, but I just wanted to confirm that, not just does it sound good, but it tastes delicious! As I don't eat a lot of bread, it's not too expensive for me. I go through one loaf in 1-2 months. But I'd love to have the recipe, too.

Mystic
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I second the deliciousness of ezekiel bread (otherwise known as essene bread here in Australia). It is worth paying for because it tastes so good and is very healthy for you, but if you are game to make your own (and I solute you for your efforts), I found this link for essene bread:

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/wigmore.html

Northern Lights
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I actually have recipes for two different breads- one is called Ezekiel and the other essene. Different results but both good (IMHO). The Ezekiel is more like a normal loaf of bread, the Essene is sprouted and more 'banana bread' texture. Both- YUM!

EZEKIEL BREAD (I confess, I have a wheat grinder and a Bosche mixer, so I can make this easily. If you don't it's going to be harder.)

4 C hard spring wheat
1 c pot barley
1/4 c pinto beans
1/4 C soya beans
1/4 C lentils
1 C rye kernels or spelt
Mill together. (I have a wheat grinder!)
3 c wheat milled separate.
5 C water-warm
1/2 C oil
1/2 C molasses
1 T yeast
Use only as much of last flour batch as needed. Knead 7-10 minutes in a Bosch or 15+ minutes by hand until dough is 'ready' It will be on the soft side. Shape into 4 round loaves, place on cornmeal cookie sheets. Rise until doubled. bake 350 35 minutes.

ESSENE BREAD

Approximately one pound of wheat berries per loaf.

6 cups will make 3 good sized loaves.

Choose hard spring or winter wheat. Soak in room temperature water for 18 hours, then drain and keep in a dark place, rinsing 3 times a day until the little sprout is one third the length of the grain. This will take 36-48 hours maximum.

If the sprouts are too young, the bread will not be sweet. If too old, the bread will be gooey and will never bake out.

Remove excess moisture from the sprouts with a terry towel. Grind the sprouts to as smooth as possible. Can do up to 2 cups at a time in a food processer. (I put mine through the champion juicer with a plate in the bottom)

Knead the gooey mixture well to get the gluten going. (Can use the blender and continue the 2 cups for about 3 minutes...watch it carefully)

Let the dough rest about an hour. Shape into small loaves and bake on a well greased sheet. Bake slowly, not over 325 for 2 1/2 hours or until nicely browned.

Cool loaves and wrap in a towel. Set aside in a cool place for a day or two to soften the crust.

Variation: Can grind up 1/2 cup dates with sprouts

eve
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Northern Lights, I take off my hat to you - I used to make bread years ago, but now I eat so little, that when I buy a loaf of sweet & sour rye bread, it lasts a fortnight, by which time it is really, really solid! If I made lovely bread as you do, I'd eat too much. :)

Northern Lights
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Eve- if I was by myself I'd bake less often. Since I have a family, I bake often. I believe in the rule of not having junk in the house, so if the kids are looking for things to eat I want it to be good.

It also makes meal times easier. Supper the day I bake is bread hot from the oven and soup. (and since I'm now vegan AND I do the cooking, guess what the family gets!!)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Northern Lights]I actually have recipes for two different breads- one is called Ezekiel and the other essene. Different results but both good (IMHO). The Ezekiel is more like a normal loaf of bread, the Essene is sprouted and more 'banana bread' texture. Both- YUM![QUOTE=Northern Lights]

Thanks for sharing your recipes! Your family is blessed to have you providing healthy home-baked treats!

In the US, "Ezekiel Bread" is made from all sprouted grains, has sesame seeds lining the crust and is not really terribly expensive- it is all Organic and can be bought (here) at Trader Joe's for $2.19 a loaf. It is a wonderful bread and the only store-bought/cooked bread I give to my daughter. ;)

Andie
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the recipes and link. Currently I don't have the requisite equipment however I'm saving up for a juicer. Till then, I guess oh tightwad could buy herself a loaf of bread ;-)

Artichoke47
Oct 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
From Very Vegetarian by Jannequin Bennett

2 T. flax seeds
1 1/2 c. sugar (I used Sucanat)
1 c. pumpkin puree (I used 1 1/2 c. or one can)
1/2 c. applesauce
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. whole wheat flour (instead of all-purpose and whole wheat, I
used 1 2/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour, to make it more "whole
grain")
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I left this out and put a little extra cinnamon)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan. In a blender or processor, blend together the flax seeds and 6 T. of water until frothy. (I recommend grinding the flax seeds first in a coffee grinder and then blending with water.) In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flax seed mixture, sugar, pumpkin, and applesauce.

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a bowl. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and combine well. Pour the batter into the pan and bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.

cedarblue
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM
p.s.

anyone in the uk, where can i buy sprouted bread? health food stores i guess, havent seen any in my local one tho :( i am keen to try them!
can you give me a brandname??

:)

lvhatkent
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
I have a couple of recipes in vegan cookbooks that call for whole wheat cake flour. I've had no problem finding whole wheat pastry flour and regular whole wheat flour, but I have no idea what makes cake flour different from either of these. If anyone knows, please please please tell me. Also let me know if I have to use cake flour or if I can use regular or pastry flour. I really only work with whole grain flours, so regular store-bought white flour isn't an option.

Thanks bunches!

Leah

Artichoke47
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
I wonder what kind of cookbook would label something "cake flour." I've never heard of it. Does the recipe call for baking soda? Maybe they mean self-rising flour. I would use ww pastry flour for a cake.

Artichoke47
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
MAKE YOUR OWN CAKE FLOUR

2 tablespoons cornstarch in measuring cup. Fill with unsifted all-purpose flour. Sift 3 times. 1 cup of this equals 1 cup of sifted cake flour.

Here you go. I googled it.

Mystic
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:36 AM
I love organic 100% wholemeal sourdough by Pure Bread Bakery - it is so dense and texturised and has a lovely flavour, particularly when it is toasted. The only ingredients are stoneground wholewheat flour, sourdough leven and salt.

I also love the Pure Life essene breads, which come in the following varieties:
- wheat
- wheat with sultanas
- rye
- rye with dates
- rye with dates and walnuts
- essene supreme (wheat and rye mix)
- essene supreme with dates
- essene supreme with dates and walnuts
- spelt
- kamut
All they contain is the sprouted grain, minced into a loaf (with the fruit/nuts added) and a little sunflower oil to grease the loaf pan.

So what is/are your favourite bread/s?

nubilous
Jun 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Okay, so I'm not sure if it's 100% vegan, but it's absolutely amazing - the Hodgson Mill Caraway Rye Bread Mix. I've never made my own bread until just tonight, and I used this mix and I can't even describe how tasty it is. I JUST got it from the oven and tried a slice and just had to share the wealth - everyone else is asleep!

Has anyone else tried it? If you have, what did you think? If not, go to the store! All you need is a box of the mix, a cup of warm water, and butter, margarine OR vegetable oil (I used olive oil). The box even comes with a packet of yeast.

I'm going to feel like a complete ASS if it's not vegan. . . . :eek:

Kiva Dancer
Jun 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I was just about to ask for an ingredient list, too. :)

But then I found it at the Hodgson Mill site.

It contains: Unbleached and enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid); stone ground whole grain rye flour; stone ground whole grain wheat flour; sugar; vital wheat gluten; soy flour; caraway seeds; salt; vitamin C. Packet of fast rise yeast included.

The only potential iffy here that I can see is the sugar. Some vegans avoid it because of it being filted with bone char and some have no problem with that at all. Since it's an American company, they might use bone char filtered sugar but then again they might not. If it's an issue with you then call the company and ask. If it's a non-issue, then enjoy the bread. It looks quite good.

Sunnie
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I am hunting for a cruelty-free baking soda. The brand that seems most popular here (USA) is manufactured by Arm & Hammer (per PETA list, they test on animals). Any suggestions?

Yoggy
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I checked a bit and didn't find the following questions elsewhere, but I apologise if they've already been addressed in other threads.

I haven't done any baking since I became vegan, because all I really know is how to bake with animal ingredients (I was an avid baker before). So here are a couple questions that I want to ask before I try my hand at vegan baking:

1. Can you substitute Earthbalance for butter in any recipe?

2. What about sugar? I don't want to use refined sugar anymore, so is raw okay? Is organic sugar "refined"? How do you substitute brown sugar?

3. Can you use egg replacer in any baking recipe that calls for eggs?

I know the answers to these questions are out there on google, but I guess what I'm looking for is "testimonials" about how well these substitutions work, and if there are any other considerations to take into account when baking. Thanks :D

Artichoke47
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM
It's best to use vegan recipes as opposed to "substituting" for animal ingredients that were never meant for baking!

1. I believe the Earth Balance can be used in any recipe. However, I have not tried every single recipe out there.

2. I think raw turbinado sugar is available. Sucanat is similar to refined brown sugar.

3. It has worked for me in every recipe I have tried, but there again, I have not tried every single vegan recipe out there, despite having over 40 vegan cookbooks.

moochbabe
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Canola oil and olive oil can both be heated to extremely high heats without being turned into trans fats. Other oils, when heated too high, end up turning into trans fats, however, not as much as pure hydrogenated oil, which is all transfats. Also, organic cookies won't contain refined sugar, at least not here in the States, usually they have brown rice syrup or organic cane juice. Hope that helped!

Artichoke47
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I think when an organic product contains "organic sugar," they mean "refined" sugar, do they not? That's what I've seen in ingredients.

moochbabe
Aug 10th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I don't know about "organic sugar" I wouldn't chance it, it could be refined. However, most of the organic things that I've come across haven't listed that as their sweeteners. I know cane juice is safe though.

twinkle
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I second the bread machine suggestion. If you don't want to buy one I bet you know someone who doesn't use theirs and will lend you it so you can try it out :)

You might even be able to get someone to make loaves for you in their machine if you say you'll pay for enough flour so you can both make loaves (and buying flour in bulk is generally cheaper).

It's not even that difficult to make bread without a machine, it just takes a long time, but there's only about 10 minutes of actual work to it.