PDA

View Full Version : The Bread Making / Recipe Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Blueberries
Feb 8th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I made some naan, I did it in my bread machine and guessed at the quantities a bit as I don't like measuring with cups. I put rosemary, garlic granules and ground coriander in it and used wholemeal flour rather than white. The end result doesn't look or taste anything like a naan bread but is really very tasty anyway :D

Glad to hear that you liked it! A completely silly question- do breadmakers just mix and knead the bread or do they cook it too? o_O

Risker
Feb 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM
They do cook it, but I set it just to just mix and knead the dough then took it out, rolled it out and cooked it in a frying pan.

Actually, they do look a bit like naans.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/724/dsc00002zl.jpg

Blueberries
Feb 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
They do cook it, but I set it just to just mix and knead the dough then took it out, rolled it out and cooked it in a frying pan.

Actually, they do look a bit like naans.

They do look like naan! I never had naan pre-vegan so I'm not sure what non-vegan naan tastes like :).

Blueberries
Feb 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I just started some raisin bread, it's on the first rise now. Rainy day with big snow predicted (we shall see)...Perfect for baking!

How did your raisin bread go?

Blueberries
Feb 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I'm on a bit of a bread-making streak recently, I'm sure I'll make something over the weekend :D

I made bagels :) Recipe from Vegan Brunch.

deniselynn
Feb 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Ended up with three loaves of yummy raisin bread. One was gone pretty much the first day. Kids love raisin bread. :D

Blueberries
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Ended up with three loaves of yummy raisin bread. One was gone pretty much the first day. Kids love raisin bread. :D

It does sound yummy! I really don't make enough sweetbreads, I only really make hallowe'en brack.

Risker
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Ewww... sweetbreads.

Blueberries
Feb 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Ewww... sweetbreads.

Maybe you're thinking of sweat-bread... that wouldn't be nice at all :p

Risker
Feb 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Nope, definitely sweetbread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbreads).

Blueberries
Feb 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Nope, definitely sweetbread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbreads).

Ah I see, I had forgotten that that was also called sweetbread! I definitely live in the vegan bubble! :)

Blueberries
Feb 21st, 2013, 09:31 PM
Yesterday I made a basic white loaf and today I'm making a half brown/half white.

I got the basic bread recipe from the BBC Good food website.
· Mix 500g flour, a sachet of yeast (website said a 7g sachet but my yeast sachets were 4.6g so I used 1 and a bit), a teaspoon of salt and 350ml of lukewarm water.
· Knead for a few minutes.
· Let rise for an hour and then heat the oven to 220c.
· Bake the bread for 15 mins @this temp and then reduce to 200c for 30 mins.

Mymblesdaughter
Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
I'm having trouble with my bread recently. I usually make wholemeal and it's quite dense but it seems to not be cooking on the bottom. When it is cooked the crust is really hard. Anyone got any idea why? I usually shape my bread into freestanding loaves and put on a baking tray.

Blueberries
Feb 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm having trouble with my bread recently. I usually make wholemeal and it's quite dense but it seems to not be cooking on the bottom. When it is cooked the crust is really hard. Anyone got any idea why? I usually shape my bread into freestanding loaves and put on a baking tray.

I'm no baking expert but I think that being burnt on the outside and undercooked on the inside could indicate that your oven is too hot. Maybe try starting at the high temperature and then lower it?

Mymblesdaughter
Feb 22nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
I'll have a go at that I'm baking them at gas mark 4 at the moment. So not that high but maybe I'll start them higher and then reduce to mark 3. They are only not cooking on the bottom, so about a cm on the bottom is still dough. I've tried turning them over for 10 mins at the end but it doesn't seem to do much.

Blueberries
Jul 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Yesterday I made brioche. I never had brioche pre-vegan but this one turned out really nicely (how wrong can you go with butter and sugar? ;)).

The only problem was that I forgot to let it rise again for an hour after taking it out of the fridge, so my guess is that if I had followed the instructions it would have been bigger, lighter and fluffier. I'm going to make it again today, follow all of the instructions and let you know how it goes!

The recipe I used is on the Have Cake, Will Travel blog written by Celine Steen:

http://havecakewilltravel.com/2011/08/06/brioche-a-gogo/

harpy
Jul 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Looks nice, can't say I'd missed brioche as I hardly ever had it anyway, but now I quite fancy some :p

Blueberries
Jul 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
I made the brioche again, letting it rise when it come out of the fridge and it turned put just as I expected- same taste but lighter and fluffier texture.

Blueberries
Jul 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I made burger buns today, to go with some home-made veggie burgers. They turned out really nicely :)

I got the recipe from the about.com dairy-free cooking site. I followed the recipe except that I substituted half of the flour for wholemeal flour.

I like making bread :)

micthemini
Oct 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM
This is one of the easiest bread recipies I've followed, due to the lack of intense kneading!
I've made it with white and wholemeal flours.
http://www.oundlefoodfestival.co.uk/index.php/recipes/64-danlepards-easy-white-bread

franklinjerry
Oct 5th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I searched for such an important recipe for preparation of my breakfast and at last I have found it in this Forum. Really many many thanks for this thread poster and i will try it for my breakfast tomorrow.