PDA

View Full Version : The New Face of Walmart?

DianeVegan
Mar 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060325/ap_on_bi_ge/wal_mart_organic) is an article about Walmart's plans to introduce organic produce, organic cotton apparel and susainably fished seafood in it stores.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I don't shop at Walmart but I understand that a big company pushing for changes will certainly help the movement towards organic and sustainability. I still won't shop there but I won't mind the fact that more organic products may become available due to this action.

coconut
Mar 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah, it could be good news or bad, depending on which way you choose to look at it. The introduction of organic and sustainable products by the world's largest retailer could make more people aware of their impact on the environment. Or it could be another step towards supermarket domination of organics. Personally its the company ethic that attracts me to shopping at a place, rather than the stuff they sell. If the company is run like an army trying to conquer territory and wipe out the competition I avoid it as best I can. It's much easier over here. A lot of Americans probably have to shop at Walmart if they want to eat.

Juice
Mar 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
brings to mind the old adage- "you can't turn sh*t to gold". They could start carrying the Temptation Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough soy ice cream and I still wouldn't shop there. :D

FR
Mar 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Remember last year there was a bill in front of Congress to lower organic standards? With a huge conglomerate like Wal*Mart trying to sell more organic products, don't be surprised to see a whole lot more pressure being placed on lawmakers to lower organic standards.

I'm waiting for veganic products to become readily available.

DianeVegan
Mar 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I have that same fear, FR. It's one of the reasons that I buy local as often as possible - at least you can get to know an actual person. I think Walmart could certainly dilute the concept of organic, literally and figuratively.

Coconut, thank goodness you can still feed and clothe yourself in this country without ever stopping into a corporate owned store!

FR
Mar 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I love buying organic produce from local farmers as well. The Farmer Markets should be in full swing around here shortly. You can really get a hold of some good deals from them and it feels good to give money directly to them.

Seaside
Mar 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
The retailers where I live won't let Walmart in the Bay Area. I have never been in one before, and only seen one once on a road trip. Whenever a large supermarket type building goes up for sale, the grocery and drug store chains make sure it gets bought by one of them, to keep Walmart out.

mophoto
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:36 AM
i honestly don't think it will last. the people who shop at wal-mart, regardless of their finical status, what cheap crap. i can't see any wal-mart shopper paying more for organic. it seems like a marketing ploy to me. I HATE WAL-MART:mad:

snaffler
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM
It's really hard this one because the UK has 3 main Supermarkets and much as we try to avoid them they all have something the other does not which is good for vegans and some have some very bad points.

For example in my town we have a great little wholefood store perfect but does not cater for all needs :( and it can get very expensive and I only earn so much.

In our town we also have ASDA - Which Wallmart is the parent company of, but ASDA in my town sales loads of Vegan stuff, more so when it comes to bathroom and household stuff, and mean proper Vegan Society approved stuff as well.

On the other side of Town we have Sainsbury, who are second best to food labelling for vegan products to the Coop, the down side is the CEO Lord Sainsbury is pro-vivisection and the UKs Science Minister, he also donates a large amount of cash from his stupid OTT salary and some of the companies money to Pro Vivisection Science :mad:

So I am affraid I use ASDA as much as I can after the wholefood store as they are the lesser of the two evils in the UK.

Nadine
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Wal-Mart is also actively anti-union = anti-employee rights :mad:

snaffler
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Wal-Mart is also actively anti-union = anti-employee rights :mad:

Yes that is what I have heard yet nearly all the people I knew that worked for Sainsbury Left to work for ASDA (who have also been voted employer of the year via a staff survey) the strange thing is all those left Sainsbury for ASDA to get better pay and conditions which they say they are happily getting :confused: :confused: :confused: even more confused....all I can think is that Wal-Mart the parent company have no influance on UK laws and employment T&Cs.

All the people we know who are working for them have left a for a wage rise, better sick pay and more flexible hours for parents.

It gets confusing