PDA

View Full Version : EASY "Hummus" !!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Haniska
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
We discussed earlier how it is hard to get hummus to come out tasting like store bought:

While this is not hummus, it is very tasty and has Lots of possibilities.

1 can chickpeas or cooked equivelant
1/2 cup salad dressing
Or
1/4 cup marinade and 1/4 cup oil

Puree in food processor and you have a sandwich filling in whatever flavor you want! I have been eating them for 2 days now, with whole wheat bread, tomatoes, lettuce and cracked pepper.

Flippin' delicous :D

feral
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I was wondering how hummus with pineapple on crackers would be like, might make some, leaving out the garlic.

Cherry
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
store bought:

But homemade hummus is great stuff. Why would you want it to taste store bought?! :confused:

Having said that I like the texture of the bought stuff and think that if you put a tablespoon of olive oil in it and blitz it like crazy in a food mixer that it goes really smooth and a bit 'fluffy'.

VeganJohn
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:16 PM
When making hummus at home, I think adding peppers makes a whole world of difference, mmmmm!!

Cherry
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Yeh - good idea. I like sundried tomatoes too :)

rantipole
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Can someone post a basic hummus recipe? I've never made my own, and I love hummus.

Cheers,
rant

Cherry
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:31 PM
hummus recipe (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/SaucesSalads/hummus.htm)

Risker
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'd like to make my own but I find it a pain to clean out the food processor afterwards, I think I'm going to have to buy one thats dishwasher friendly or get a small one like they use on ready steady cook.

Off topic but I hate my food processor, I made watercress soup for dinner the other day and I'd just finished liquidising it, so I went to take the container from off of the machine (you do this by turning it anti-clockwise) unfortunately to detach the blade part from the container you also turn it anti-clockwise... Goodbye soup, hello bright green goo all over the worktop! It took me over half an hour to clean and got all inside the food processor, which unfortunately still works after I washed it out.

Cherry
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:02 AM
lol :D Obviously not *really* funny but you have to laugh, right?

I have a small one that fixes onto my little hand held choppy thing (I'm so articulate!). It also has a choppy blade thing (there I go again) and a whisk.
It's great for hummus and pesto when you can't be bothered to clean out the food processor.

Haniska
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:15 AM
But homemade hummus is great stuff. Why would you want it to taste store bought?! :confused:

Having said that I like the texture of the bought stuff and think that if you put a tablespoon of olive oil in it and blitz it like crazy in a food mixer that it goes really smooth and a bit 'fluffy'.

I can't get my homemade hummus to come out right. But it is possible that I simply haven't been able to bring myself to put as much salt and oil in as the recipe calls for. I'm not totally sure that this is the case though, I'll have to watch myself the next time I make real hummus.

Tigerlily
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:18 AM
My mom never uses oil and it turns out great! I think it all depends on the quality of the food processor.

Risker
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:18 AM
lol Obviously not *really* funny but you have to laugh, right?

I have a small one that fixes onto my little hand held choppy thing (I'm so articulate!). It also has a choppy blade thing (there I go again) and a whisk.
It's great for hummus and pesto when you can't be bothered to clean out the food processor.

At the time I didn't know what else to do so I just ended up laughing manically about the whole situation, cleaning it up really wasn't fun though, I couldn't believe how messy and gloopy it was. I was slightly fortunate in that I managed to save just enough for dinner, none left over for lunch though.

A hand held choppy thing is exactly what I was thinking of, is it like the ones on ready steady cook?

Cherry
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure :) It's a braun vario.

Here's a link (http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Food+and+Drink+Preparation/Blenders/230172791/Product.aspx)

It's a bit like a very primitive one of those :) I make hummus in the attachment on the far right.

I don't always use oil in my hummus btw, but it does go more like 'store bought' when I do.

herbwormwood
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I like my home made one and as I use dried cooked chick peas it is a lot cheaper to make and I don't go regularly to a shop which sells hummus anyway so I would run out if I had to rely on factory made hummus.
My recipe goes like this:
Soak dried chick peas for 2 days, changing the water twice daily.
You can then drain them and freeze for later if you want. Taken out the freezer or soaking dish and boiled for at least 10 minutes then drain and cool. Put in blender. Add large spoonful tahini, 1 teaspoon salt, a large dollop of your preferred oil, juice of 1 lemon, 1 clove garlic or some garlic pickle and about a cup of water.
Blend in the blender. As soon as it stops mixing take the lid off and add water and mix through. Keep adding water (and a little more oil if you wish), stir through, and then blending again until hummus reaches the consistency you desire.
Last time I made it I tried adding a half tsp turmeric, it was nice.

Tigerlily
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
The whole concept of buying hummus is just beyond me. I find it really amusing that people actually buy hummus when it's insanely easy to make at home. But then again, I'm Middle Eastern, I grew up eating this stuff homemade.

foxytina_69
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
tigerlily, you should share your moms hummus recipe :D

Tigerlily
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I have no idea what the exact measurements are. It's just tahini and chickpeas with lemon juice. She doesn't add garlic to it at all, as it's not traditional to add garlic where she's from.

And she adds olive oil to it after she's done making it. Sort of like a garnish.

rantipole
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the recipe, Cherry.

Cheers,
rant

Haniska
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
[quote=herbwormwood]I like my home made one and as I use dried cooked chick peas it is a lot cheaper to make and I don't go regularly to a shop which sells hummus anyway so I would run out if I had to rely on factory made hummus.
My recipe goes like this:
Soak dried chick peas for 2 days, changing the water twice daily.
You can then drain them and freeze for later if you want. Taken out the freezer or soaking dish and boiled for at least 10 minutes then drain and cool. quote]

Hi,

Wow, am I to assume that you are using sprouted chickpeas? I have some draining in my sink right now! You really only have to cook them ten minutes?

Cumin
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
:eek:
I thought you had to cook them for about an hour to prevent horrid-gut-pain-hospital-incedent-itis ! Like with Kidney beans.

Cumin
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Or are the "dried cooked" ones mentioned different from your normal dried ones ? I've always assumed there was only one type, and the ones I have say boil for 1 hr.

Haniska
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM
:eek:
I thought you had to cook them for about an hour to prevent horrid-gut-pain-hospital-incedent-itis ! Like with Kidney beans.

LOL! Kidney beans might be a different story as they are notoriously poisonous.

Tigerlily
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Oh dear, I like uncooked kidney beans. After they been soaking for a couple of hours, I like to eat kidney beans. Oops, giess I won't anymore.

piggy
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:42 PM
i used to do the same thing tigerlily...until they told me they are toxic :mad:
i think it's different with chickpeas though.

Cumin
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Perhaps the answer lies in what herbwormwood said:

... I use dried cooked chick peas....

As I said before, maybe there are 2 different types of dried chick peas. The dried raw, and the dried cooked. Is there anyone that can enlighten us here?:confused: