PDA

View Full Version : Film: Darwin's Nightmare

Tray
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:24 PM
did someone of you see this film?
It's a film about fishing for the northern countries in lake Victoria and it's catastrophical consequances over the environment and over the people that live there.
Fishing, starving children, desperation weapon traffic..
I have seen it today and i found it a very good film.. When it ended i watched around and i saw all the meateater that were hit by the film and all were visibly turbed/shocked and didn't know what to say about it..
Fishing, starving children, desperation weapon traffic
http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/

"Darwin's Nightmare is a tale about
humans between the North
about globalization, and about fish

Some time in the 1960's, in the heart of Africa, a new animal was introduced into Lake Victoria as a little scientific experiment. The Nile Perch, a voracious predator, extinguished almost the entire stock of the native fish species. However, the new fish multiplied so fast, that its white fillets are today exported all around the world.

Huge hulking ex-Soviet cargo planes come daily to collect the latest catch in exchange for their southbound cargo… Kalashnikovs and ammunitions for the uncounted wars in the dark center of the continent.
http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/darwin/images/spacer.gif
This booming multinational industry of fish and weapons has created an ungodly globalized alliance on the shores of the world’s biggest tropical lake: an army of local fishermen, World bank agents, homeless children, African ministers, EU-commissioners, Tanzanian prostitutes and Russian pilots."

Gliondrach
Apr 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
It's usually the way when human greed directs anything. And quite often when there are good intentions, too. Perhaps true Darwinian Natural Selection would have done a better job. It wouldn't have introduced an alien species into a lake that it couldn't have reached by itself. It's a bit like soya cattle feed destroying large parts of the Amazon jungle and hundreds of other similar enterprises.

It's good that such films are made. It will have educated a lot of people, and might have persuaded some to make changes.

rantipole
Apr 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I have a review copy on DVD. Everytime I think about watching it, I worry that it will depress me too much. I should just bite the bullet and watch it.

Boy, have we f'ed up Africa or what? That poor continent!

Cheers,
rant