PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Sheffield

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

leedsveg
Aug 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
^^^
Oh, dear. Not good. Not good at all (re Airy Fairy).

lv

friend
Aug 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
She apologised to us later, saying she doesn`t really think like that about animals.
In my mind, the damage is done, it just reflects badly on the place.
Weeks later, they held a meeting on pagan animal rights but I was not there.
Disgusting behaviour though that day.
And last time there, two weeks ago, I was irritated by the frosty "cheerio" from the maitre d as we were leaving.What no jewellery bought?
No cheese sandwiches?
Nobody but nobody says cheerio these days..sorry but it`s a thumbs down from me.

Gwydion
Aug 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I say cheerio :(

Well, more often its sister adaption 'cheerios' - but still.

leedsveg
Aug 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
^^^

My sister always says "Cheery!" but then again she's lived in Scotland (where they do things differently) for nearly 40 years.

Lv

friend
Aug 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM
:-)I am always happy to be proved wrong.:dizzy::umm_ani::thumbsup:

friend
Aug 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Heeley farm was where I went Sat and Sun just gone.
Tofu n mushroom pie with roast spuds n two fresh vegan salads.
Cost around 4 quid and was amazingly good.

friend
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Fanoush vegetarian falafel takeaway , bottom of London road, please go check it out, its new, its veggie, its quite cheap too.

leedsveg
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
^^^

I'll be in Sheffield on Tuesday but I've got a lot to do in a short space of time so it might be the all-day breakfast (plus slice of cake) at New Roots cafe for me. So many other eating places I'd love to visit though. Heeely Farm sounds good.:thumbsup:

Leedsveg

friend
Oct 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Earlier this year a place opened on London road calling itself The Sharrow pie experiment.Cue a text from me asking if pie, which was free btw, is vegan.
Sorry no came the reply but we have free soya milk to make you a really good cup of tea..free.
Later they emailed me that their pie "is most definitely vegan" and yet when I said "what type of pie" the silence was deafening.
Place has now shut down.
Typical..a bunch of ex students renting an office, assuring all that they are here to stay and then shutting up shop.:undecided:

leedsveg
Oct 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
^^^
Sounds like The Sharrow "Pie-in-the-sky" Experiment to me. Maybe things being free was the source of it's demise?

Leedsveg

Crusty Rat
Oct 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
As for vegan Sheffield, i prefer the omni Pho 68 on London road.Vegan tofu salt n pepper starter for 3 quid..beats blue moon anyday....despite it being omni not veggie, this pho 68.
That used to be one of my favourite places but last time it was fucking horrible - staff were rude and my partner found shrimp in a dish which was meant to be veggie in the first place. I got really ill, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to be sick for ages. I was ill for a couple of days afterwards too, not good. :|

friend
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yes leeds. I actually think it was like a non veggie version of the common place as used to be in Leeds..all student aspiration, and pie in the sky..but worse than the common place cos for a while it was good there.:-)

friend
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=Crusty Rat;693926]That used to be one of my favourite places but last time it was fucking horrible - staff were rude and my partner found shrimp in a dish which was meant to be veggie in the first place. I got really ill, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to be sick for ages. I was ill for a couple of days afterwards too, not good. :|[/QUOTI do not accept the staff are rude there.
No.
And i have never seen shrimp given on a vegetarian dish.
Watch your language.

Crusty Rat
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
Just realised no-one has mentioned Lembas... http://www.lembas.co.uk/ fuck supermarkets! :D

julie blacker
Oct 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Hello
Heeley City Farm in Sheffield is currently hosting vegetarian/vegan
evening events at The Farm kitchen. In September The Farm kitchen (which is
totally vegetarian/vegan) hosted the first of it's evening events -
themed 'Gormet food evening'. This was a brilliant success and we hope
to run more gourmet food evenings in the future. On Nov 11th 2011 we
will be hosting a 'Greek food night' and wish to invite lovers of
vegetarian and vegan food to this and future events.
For more information please contact The Farm Kitchen on 0114 2580244
For a menu please contact julie.blacker@sky.com
many thanks

friend
Oct 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Oddly, a thing that puzzles me about the farm..cheap wholesome vegan n veggie cuisine....but do the animals go to slaughter someplace??
And on the farm website is a photo of the stripy piglets that live there, with an advert for pork n cider something or other being touted by another farm..odd contrast here.

Crusty Rat
Dec 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Earlier this year a place opened on London road calling itself The Sharrow pie experiment.Cue a text from me asking if pie, which was free btw, is vegan.
Sorry no came the reply but we have free soya milk to make you a really good cup of tea..free.
Later they emailed me that their pie "is most definitely vegan" and yet when I said "what type of pie" the silence was deafening.
Place has now shut down.
Typical..a bunch of ex students renting an office, assuring all that they are here to stay and then shutting up shop.:undecided:
Ah, we went in there when it was still running, was a bit put out to find out the pie wasn't vegan though - even though the woman running the place was! It was apple pie as well. Had a cuppa and a chat anyway. Argued for vegan pie. Personally I think they were a bit old to be described as ex-students.

Next time I saw the woman she said the pie was now vegan and they were doing a vegan curry night, but I didn't end up going. Is it shut down now then?

---

Tried out the new all-vegetarian falafel bar on London Road today, "Fanoush", damn fucking good falafel! I had a 10" fanoush wrap with jalapeno houmous, red onion, red cabbage, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, chillies, olives, pickle and tahini sauce. £3. It looked too full to roll up, but the guy managed and it was completely packed but also really well wrapped - normally I end up a falafelly mess by the end of eating, but no such problems today. :D Ohh it was delicious.

Crusty Rat
Dec 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Oddly, a thing that puzzles me about the farm..cheap wholesome vegan n veggie cuisine....but do the animals go to slaughter someplace??
And on the farm website is a photo of the stripy piglets that live there, with an advert for pork n cider something or other being touted by another farm..odd contrast here.
I was a bit confused by the veggie cafe thing. At first I thought they might rescue farm animals, but they actually appear to be a kind of agricultural zoo. They metion an elderly horse who they still have but what happens to animals who appeal to the average English palette I couldn't say. On top of that, they breed "pet" animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles and even keep caged chipmunks.

mikeydredlox
Dec 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
<error, see below>

mikeydredlox
Dec 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Fanoush vegetarian falafel takeaway , bottom of London road, please go check it out, its new, its veggie, its quite cheap too.

I'd second this place, fantastic falafal wraps with a great choice of salads and sauces - really clean looking interior and the couple who run it seem very friendly

leedsveg
Dec 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Just read a really good write up on "Fanoush" so I rang them up to see if they were open over Christmas. Alas no, they close on the 23rd and don't reopen until 4th January, the 2 partners having a bit of a holiday. I asked if they were going somewhere hot + sweaty and the answer was "No, Canada!"

I look forward to going there in the New Year (Fanoush, not Canada :bigsmile2:) so thanks Crusty and Mike for the info.:thumbsup:

Leedsveg

friend
Jan 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Its not too great, fanoush. Very little falafel, which they spread ultra thin on a wrap, they then insist you have a bit of everything on the salad, ignoring/making sure you dont request, say, more chilli, more cucumber etc. So large sandwich of salad with a smattering of crushed falafel, costs 3.50. Not good at all.
If you want decent food , go to pho68, Vietnamese omni.
London rd, get the tofu with salt n pepper.

Crusty Rat
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Would really have to disagree with the Pho68 recommendation. Whilst it used to be a favourite, last time I went I had to have a dish brought out three times - the first it was brought out with egg in despite our requests, the second my partner found shrimp floating in hers and the third time, although when we asked they hastily assured us there was no egg in it, I really do wish I'd walked out because I ate it and felt incredibly sick. I'm positive they lied to avoid further hassle - when we checked with the waitress who brought it over she turned round to ask other staff and they just waved her hands at her like "yeah, sure, whatever". It was a really horrible experience, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to spew for ages.

Before that I'd always thought it was good, although when I mentioned it to a friend (pre-incident) she grimaced and said she'd had a bad experience there, as had other vegans she knew. Wish I'd listened now. :/

Crusty Rat
Jan 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I do not accept the staff are rude there.
No.
And i have never seen shrimp given on a vegetarian dish.
Watch your language.Not sure why you felt the need to edit this post, but I'd like to point out that I'm in no way the only person to be treated rudely by staff in there or be lied to about the vegan-ness of a dish.
I also think "fucking horrible" is a perfectly reasonable reaction to finding a piece of dead animal in my dinner.

I never told you not to go there - I just really don't think they're a good recommendation for "Vegan Sheffield".

whalespace
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I should be visiting Sheffield in about twelve days... Anybody in the mood for a herbal infusion, or some chatty networking feel free to let me know.:-)