PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Sheffield

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

genisis
Jan 18th, 2012, 10:09 AM
^^^

I'll be in Sheffield on Tuesday but I've got a lot to do in a short space of time so it might be the all-day breakfast (plus slice of cake) at New Roots cafe for me. So many other eating places I'd love to visit though. Heeely Farm sounds good.:thumbsup:

Leedsveg

Alas I read this post too late, Iv been meaning to goand try the New Roots cafe for a while now as I pass it on the bus on way into town, but havent got round to it yet and this would have given me the 'push' to actually get off the bus and go in! never mind maybe next time Leedsveg. Iv been to the new roots shop near the hospital but its not a cafe but do sell snacks and drinks and have a room down stairs you can sit in, prices ok and the 'sausage' rolls are yummy :)

whalespace
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I'll be in Sheffield from about nine Saturday morning , till about nine Sunday evening.

friend
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Alas I read this post too late, Iv been meaning to goand try the New Roots cafe for a while now as I pass it on the bus on way into town, but havent got round to it yet and this would have given me the 'push' to actually get off the bus and go in! never mind maybe next time Leedsveg. Iv been to the new roots shop near the hospital but its not a cafe but do sell snacks and drinks and have a room down stairs you can sit in, prices ok and the 'sausage' rolls are yummy :)
Try the Burngreave rd one, thats better than the one by the Hallamshire.

genisis
Jan 25th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'll be in Sheffield from about nine Saturday morning , till about nine Sunday evening.
sorry whalespace I was away all weekend :(

whalespace
Jan 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM
^^ I stayed at the "Citadel Of Hope", for the national "Occupy" conference. There was vegan food between various discussions.

I got a few photos, which I might post later. Some people arrived, and started clambering through the roof parts, then down came a trapeze. I am cautious around trapezes since my previous encounter .

Bristol's "Invisible Circus" put on a show in the 'auditorium' for those who were interested [after the "Bank Of Ideas" and the occupied court house.]
I had to be on my way when the circus got going... Katy Cartwheel was doing her thing as I left.
Here is part of one of the acts last Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzSFxnzDy0

Another vid which might be of 'trainspotter' interest ; skip to time 07m35s to see the auditorium [which [I]was filled] :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhOqYYCBB34

Maybe visit next time you are passing?

whalespace
Jan 31st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Here is my blurry picture, the date is wrong :

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r274/whalespace/BILD0057.jpg

Not all of the food was vegan though.
I slept under a curtain, not one of these posh ones though.... another coincidence. I slept under a curtain the last time there were trapezes, but that was a long long church window curtain.:meow:

Anne Garage
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:38 PM
I've heard about the occupation of the Citadel. I always wondered what it was like inside. I must have a poke around!
Must try that falafel place.
We could do with somewhere funky for vegan food in Sheffield, without that "wooly jumper", "po-faced" vibe! Anyone inspired to start a business??

genisis
Feb 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
thanx whalespace for putting the links to those video's, i found them really interesting :-)

and yes Anne, im always 'inspired' to start a business but that seems to be as far as i get!! :-)

friend
Feb 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Yes, at times the po faced vibe does seem to extend all around us.Occasionally i see the blue moon in that light....
Sheffield animal friends are a good group who are having a free vegan banquet on Sat march 24th at Quaker meeting house.
I am told all welcome.....cheers

whalespace
Feb 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
You are welcome, genisis.

friend
Feb 25th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Its shocking that Sheffield has just one veggie cafe in the centre. The overpriced blue moon, with its tiny portions, huge prices and rock hard, uncomfortable chairs.
The staff are rude, including a very ignorant Sheffield wednesday fan who has been known to confront United fans about their allegiance.

freaky
Mar 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this forum. I live in Chorley, Lancashire but spend around every other weekend in Sheffield at my partner's. I have never been a fan of takeaways but trying to experiment with different food when I am staying with my girl. We ordered a chinese take away tonight, first 'Chinese' meal I have ever eaten, I liked it, but even with my thorough explanation of Veganism, I still felt a bit uncertain and wary. Initally the woman didn't have a clue what Veganism was but then rang me back to say everything in our order was Vegan a part from the spring rolls. Has anyone any tips for ordering from takeaways or know any trustworthy takeaways in Sheffield? (that deliver to S10 area).

Ta!

Freaky

friend
Mar 14th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this forum. I live in Chorley, Lancashire but spend around every other weekend in Sheffield at my partner's. I have never been a fan of takeaways but trying to experiment with different food when I am staying with my girl. We ordered a chinese take away tonight, first 'Chinese' meal I have ever eaten, I liked it, but even with my thorough explanation of Veganism, I still felt a bit uncertain and wary. Initally the woman didn't have a clue what Veganism was but then rang me back to say everything in our order was Vegan a part from the spring rolls. Has anyone any tips for ordering from takeaways or know any trustworthy takeaways in Sheffield? (that deliver to S10 area).

Ta!

Freaky
Any Chinese tofu dish is usually vegan, if concerned just ring n ask and they shall sort you out there.

friend
May 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Only afordable veggie place in the city is heeley city farm, so please check it out.

freaky
Jun 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Thanks! I've been to Heeley city farm and was impressed by their cafe, would like to know more about the farm part though such as the background of the animals they keep and how they are kept and treated on the farm. I had some concerns about the 'small animal' section. Ah well, that a side, I had a jolly good piece of vegan chocolate cake and a latte, very yum!

I've also been experimenting with takeaways on occasion, I have had a few nice chinese dishes (but a lot of hassle to explain what Veganism is) Still, I much prefer home cooking!! :)

genisis
Jun 8th, 2012, 06:20 AM
popped into the 'falafel king' on glosop rd, just down from the new roots, as I noticed that the sign above the shop said mixed grill,vegan and vegetarian. i could see nothing on the 'menu' that said it was vegan or anything that i could work out to be vegan. when i asked what vegan option they had, the waiter/cook dude look at me a little confused and ask someone else who worked there and then finally came back to me and offered me the massive choice of rice, chips or a wrap with plain salad in it! needless to say i didnt have anything and popped in newroots for a hot sosroll and tea :)
the quest for a decent reasonably priced veg cafe continues :)

friend
Aug 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
What about heeley farm cafe genisis? That is reasonable price and tasty too.

genisis
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
havent yet tried heeley farm cafe yet friend but it is on my 'to do list' :)

- - - Updated - - -

There is a new vegan group called the South Yorkshire Vegans (SYV) in Sheffield. The first group meeting is on 19th Sept 2012 6.30-8pm at Costa Meadowhall, Sheffield (inside WHSmiths)
It is not an animal rights group just a group for vegans longterm vegan,new or anyone considering going vegan to socialize with each other :)

friend
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks. Costa meadowhell doesn`t sound too inspiring but yes, good to hear of a new vegan group. I won`t be there as groups arent my thing. If they`re yours, Sheff animal friends are having a meal etc at rude shipyard, Abbeydale road, on Thu Aug 16th at 730pm.
Cheers.

harpy
Aug 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately I've been told that New Roots Cafe on Burngreave Road has closed as far as serving meals is concerned.

jonny_mears
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hey! Some of us from SAF coincidentally decided to start a Sheffield Vegan Meet Up group at the same time as the South Yorkshire Vegans emerged, so if anyone can't make the SYV meetings or finds the SVMUs easier to get to, we're meeting on the third Thursday of every month. September's meeting will be on Thursday 20th September at the Rude Shipyard on Abbeydale Road, but we plan to try other places out in future. We're on Facebook here (http://www.facebook.com/SheffieldVeganMeetUp) or you can email SAF at sheffieldanimalfriends (at) gmail.com to sign up to our mailing list and stay updated that way.

genisis
Sep 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Finally got round to trying Heeley City Farm cafe, I had the TLT (tofu,lettuce tomatoe sandwich) it was absolutly delish! will definatly go again. thanx for the recommendation friend :)

- - - Updated - - -

oh also ment to ask....Does anyone know of anywhere that serves vegan food in Rotherham? My daughter moved to Rotherham about 3 months ago and we have looked around town centre but cant seem to find anywhere at all! ive looked on google but cant seem to find anything except an italian place that only opens in the evening, was thinking of somewhere for lunch.
thanx in advance x

friend
Sep 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Finally got round to trying Heeley City Farm cafe, I had the TLT (tofu,lettuce tomatoe sandwich) it was absolutly delish! will definatly go again. thanx for the recommendation friend :)

- - - Updated - - -

oh also ment to ask....Does anyone know of anywhere that serves vegan food in Rotherham? My daughter moved to Rotherham about 3 months ago and we have looked around town centre but cant seem to find anywhere at all! ive looked on google but cant seem to find anything except an italian place that only opens in the evening, was thinking of somewhere for lunch.
thanx in advance x
Thanks genisis, you are welcome. A veggie colleague of mine from Rotherham says the town is really dire and hopeless for vegetarians. There must be Chinese or Indian places that can accommodate vegan food. Subway will do a vegan sarnie if asked. Good luck.:D

friend
Oct 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Honey pie tearoom on Chesterfield rd, S8, do vegan cakes and swedish glace ice cream sundaes..check it out.

VeganScott
Oct 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry if this is abit off topic but my band T.R.A.C (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throw-Rocks-At-Cops/122430204470595 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throw-Rocks-At-Cops/122430204470595)) are looking for a new drummer, if this wasnt hard enough we need a vegan drummer as the whole band is vegan and involved with various animal rights. Were in Doncaster (just down the road from Sheffield) and aim to practice at least every 2 weeks and gig as much as possible!

Also for myself im looking for vegan drummers or bassists for a more crusty/hardcore kind of band. Would be willing to travel to Sheffield to practice.

If anyones interested in either or both either get intouch on the facebook page or PM me on here

Thank You :)