PDA

View Full Version : Earthlings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

becks
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM
EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity’s absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called “non-human providers.” The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animals shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary ever produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests. There are many worthy animal rights films available, but this one transcends the setting. EARTHLINGS cries to be seen. Highly recommended!

piggy
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
sounds very interesting!!! nice to see there's a "high-profile" documentary on this sort of subject. i'll definitely download it!!

coconut
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I'd love to see it. I hope they make it available on DVD soon.

Troutina
Mar 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Wow, this really does sound amazing!
Is it not going to cinema?

Blueshark
Mar 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I purchased this on dvd a few months ago.

Watched it once. It is very hard hitting, with very shocking footage.

I think it is worth watching, but be prepared ;)

Asperger
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Aint It Cool news has a positive review of Earthlings.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22845

StmpyElephant
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone,

I heard about this documentary Joaquin Phoenix narrates and found out it has been rather talked about. Anyway, you can watch it online (link below) which I started to do tonight. Anyway, it is really really INTENSE. I watched 30 mins before I turned it off. I got upset and I felt so adament about veganism for animals sake (my first reason was enviro, health then animals). It's just..woah. So, that's a recommendation and a forewarning...it really is intense. I talked to my carnivore friend straight after and begged him to watch it, just so he's informed...because you can just see the right thing to do by the pain in the animals eyes.

Litsea
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Ohhhh, thanks for that link! I've been wanting to watch this one! I didn't know where I'd be able to rent it either.

feral
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I got to the slaughter house bit before bottling it, think it'll have to be watched in stages wea lots of hankies.. thanks for the link.

DancingWillow
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
I wish there was some way to force all non-vegans to watch this! I'll definitely try to get my mom to watch it. Thank you for the link.

Tigerlily
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the link. Lately I've been questioning my own beliefs as to why I am vegan and starting have thoughts of being lacto-ovo. I just felt disillushioned with veganism and lost. But thank you for this video. I am regaining my faith. :) I got up to 40 minutes and now I'm taking a quick bread (too hard to watch in a sitting). I am making myself watch the whole thing. I am also going to post this around the internet on other forums and communities (even the non-veg ones!).

Geoff
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
I bought the DVD and it arrived on Friday but I haven't watched it yet as I need to be in the right mood. (Either feeling really positive or seriously depressed when things couldn't be any worse!)

feral
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Isn't it funny Geoff how when we reach our middle ground (emotionally) we don't want to move the perimeters for fear of loosing our footing? I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to being in the right mood to tackle things like this, either high enough to deal or low enough that it'll not make things worse.

The_Lincoln_Imp
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I know Peaceable Kingdom is also on Google Video, anyone know if Tribe Of Heart's other film "The Witness" is available online?

FR
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Watching now. Will watch Peaceable Kingdom next.

FR
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, what a powerful video. I swear, most of you all will not like what I am about to say, but everyone who eats animals and knows what they go through, I don't care who they are, deserve every possible disease and health disorder they are exposed to as a result. And slaughter house workers, wow, they are some of the worst scum to walk the earth.

I'm not trying to hear all that, "you give vegans a bad name", "how can you expect people to go vegan with those views" crap. People who eat animals, and are too stupid to change their ways after being presented with information like this video, who really cares about them? I don't. People need to be compassionate and need to stop making excuses for their non-compassionate ways, period.

The_Lincoln_Imp
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, what a powerful video. I swear, most of you all will not like what I am about to say, but everyone who eats animals and knows what they go through, I don't care who they are, deserve every possible disease and health disorder they are exposed to as a result. And slaughter house workers, wow, they are some of the worst scum to walk the earth.

I'm not trying to hear all that, "you give vegans a bad name", "how can you expect people to go vegan with those views" crap. People who eat animals, and are too stupid to change their ways after being presented with information like this video, who really cares about them? I don't. People need to be compassionate and need to stop making excuses for their non-compassionate ways, period.

I definitely wouldn't quibble with this viewpoint in the red mist of just having watched a load of animal abuse as you just did. To survive and get by in a non-vegan though we tend to then calm down, be more accepting of animal abuse and yes even stick our heads back in the metaphorical sand to get by with reasonable mental health. Every scene shown in these films is going on somewhere every second of the day and we are powerless to prevent it.

Anyway I haven't seen Earthings yet, so I'll be in the same boat as you are now after I've finished surely. :)

FR
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:47 PM
This video covers almost every angle of animal abuse. The masses really need to see this. Thanks for posting the link.

sugarmouse
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Were you really gettin liek that tigerlily?why
thankyou for that link i am downloading it.FR, i feel exactly the same way sometimes .the onlytime i do not is when i am not thinking at all.generaly, peiople are sick minded in my opinion, to live how they do.

FR
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Most humans really are sick-minded. We, as a whole show ourselves to be truly horrible creatures. Why is that? Even those who do good, offset their goodness with horrible traits. Why, though? That is really perplexing. Videos like this make me more determined to constantly be mindful of my actions and try to correct areas in which I still need to improve. It’s knowing the truths of what is going on which makes me never question my veganism and only makes me proud that I am different than the masses, and that there are like-minded folks who feel the same way. There are so many issues on so many levels, and it seems overwhelming. It really is hard getting through to people who are ignorant or know no other way.

BTW, Here's: Peaceable Kingdom (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7013048855715857701&q=peaceable+kingdom&pl=true)

The_Lincoln_Imp
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
All animals are made up of selfish genes. Priorities being survival, safety, breeding and replicating genes. Even when any animal cares for assists another it is to ingratiate themselves and enhance their own future security by safety in numbers.

Rather than evil, human flawed selfish nature just happen to have the capabilities to be so much more destructive and willfully complicit in mass suffering due to science/technology in the main. There are other issues to this granted.

Then of course you have wrongly wired minority freaks like us who care beyond not only about ourselves but even other species. :D

veggiesosage
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I'm watching it in small pieces. I'm not normally squeamish but this really is relelntless in its depiction of horror and misery. Be interesting to see if it ever makes it onto TV, maybe More 4 in the UK?

Kiran
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I could never watch it. I tried just now, but broke down in the first 10 minutes. Those who are able to sit through the entire programme, my hats off to you.

There is no need for me to see this. I am already a vegan, and sensible enough to understand how mean and selfish mankind in general is.

I will however pass it on to my carnivore friends, and see if they can comprehend the atrocities being performed in their name.

tabitha
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Im not sure I can do it either Kiran after reading some of the posts:( Although I think I should sit and watch it with my meateating family, but I doubt if they would sit through it.

FR
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I cried watching it, and I cried watching Peaceable Kingdom. I feel the need to watch these things for the useful information and first hand documentation they provide. Peaceable Kingdom is great because it shows the efforts put forth by a wonderful organization, Farm Sanctuary, and its workforce. It also shows interviews former dairy, egg, and animal farmers and gives their accounts on how they went vegan. Sad tears, and tears of joy are the result.