PDA

View Full Version : Accidently Non Vegan??

Pages : [1] 2 3

uww27225
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM
So I found this section on the peta website that's food that's supposed to be vegan http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/default.asp, but they list things like Oreos and Famous Amos cookies. What's up with that? :confused: I wasn't expecting this from peta. :(

feline01
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I think they are just trying to help, the items listed are allegedly made without any animal ingredients or animal by-products though they do note that manufacturing processes change all the time. I think it's a good idea for those who might not want to run to the health food store to buy some kashi and are at the regular supermarket and need to know what they can pick up easily. I did learn recently that Cheerios aren't vegan, they may or may not contain D3.

Kiva Dancer
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Mint oreos are vegan. I read the package 4 times to make sure but yea, they're vegan (in my part of US at least).

There's loads of stuff that people don't usually think as vegan but they really are. Then there are some things that PETA lists as vegan but aren't because of change of forumla, source of a certain thing, etc. Things also vary by area, so something that's listed as vegan in the list might not be vegan in another state or even in another part of the country.

I use that list as a guide only, not as a difiinitive source for what is and is not vegan because of all the variables involved.

beforewisdom
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I have heard elsewhere that some of those foods are not vegan.

Worse, many of the foods they showcase are exactly the types of foods vegan health experts have been blaming for the growing amount of poor health among vegans and vegetarians.

PETA may not be explicitly telling people to eat junkatarian, but I believe putting it on a web site, especially PETA's web site, encourages people to use that stuff.

A little bit may be fine, but the data shows that people are filling up on this junk regularly.

IMHO, I think it is kind of thoughtless. PETA's goal depends upon making more vegetarians. I have seen too many people try junkatarianism as vegetarianism, feel like crap, quit, and become close minded to vegetarianism.

feline01
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Beforewisdom,

Good point, I didn't look at it that way but you're right. It is a bad idea to encourage that sort of eating. I think I'll stick with my Kashi and make some chocolate cake rather than buy the hydrogenated crap.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I don't understand how they are vegan. The sugar itself isn't vegan.... (???)

uww27225
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I checked the Kraft Foods website and it says that Oreos have whey in them. Isn't that always a milk derivitive?

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I read the Oreo package (the regular sort) and it says it has no animal ingredients at all... Though the new kind, with the white or brown chocolate coating isn't vegan... damn, they were my favorite! :D

veganmike
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
This thread should be called "accidentally non-vegan". :)

Gorilla
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
as far as i know, whey always comes from milk...

i've never heard of most of these products as i think they're mainly sold in the US. but i don't like this 'watered-down' veganism. i wouldn't be happy eating something that was 'nearly vegan' - it's either vegan or it isn't.

maybe Peta are just trying to help, but encouraging people to eat junk food is a bad idea and accepting non-vegan products as vegan is surely just going to confuse people? there aren't many people who actually understand what vegan means as it is. :(

beforewisdom
Aug 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Has anyone written PETA about wrongfully listing foods as vegan?

Forget about PETA, think of your fellow vegans

Gorilla
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
i don't bother writing to Peta anymore, as they always ignore my emails. i'd rather do something more useful that will actually make a difference. :)

phillip888
Aug 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure PeTA puts up those lists for people who want to find familiar foods (for those that will not understand that statement, familiar foods means ones that they already eat) that don't contain animal products. Many vegans aren't as aware of food products that may have used animal to process them as folks here. PeTA is listing what their contributors believe is vegan. PeTA is not the vegan society, but a animal rights organization. There is a difference.
It would be nice if they left out disreputable companies, and foods that are refined using animals, and foods that may make you fat, you may be allergic to, or may not be local to you, therefore using lots and lots of fossil fuels, or that may have disagreeable packaging, or use tacky colors, or be made by someone that you don't like the looks of, but you know what? They are acting as a resource for people that were once mainstream knuckle-heads, not a place only for vegans anally thorough about boycotting the industry.

Personally I ate a lot of accidentally vegan foods when I switched, it didn't change my mind about veganism or animal rights in anything but a positive way. It also influences the sales of companies that happen to sell them. The idea that healthy people suddenly start eating excessive amounts of junk food because PeTA lists them strikes me as pretty asinine. Why would anyone believe that?

Sorry, I hate to be the opposing view in an anti-PeTA frenzy, but I really like those guys and what they're doing. It really makes me, an 'extreme' vegan, feel like there are a lot of people who become vegan not for the animals or health, but to wear a badge.

Sabster
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:17 AM
I agree with Phillip. He pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

People are adults and any sensible adult can think for themselves. Most people aren't going to go to the extreme and suddenly adopt a junk food diet but familiar mainstream foods that qualify as vegan are good to know. Especially for those of us with family and friends that eat more mainstream. It's good to be aware of it, it doesn't mean people will run out and buy it all. i.e. When I go over to my parents house it's nice to know that a cereal or bread they have is ok ... especially on my often more finickly days when I see mono & diglycerides and avoid something because I'm not sure...

As for the sugar that's a personal preference. There are many vegans out there that would not be as likely to completely avoid it. I've talked to a lot of people and read through many vegan books & cookbooks... so that's not coming directly from me.

Refined products are bad for you but even the most health conscious can take things in occasionally with no harm done. I like the cookie monster but I wouldn't eat like him:)

Atlanta Newbie
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:50 PM
Here are the e-mails I sent to and received from General Mills as well as PETA on the question of Cheerios containing vitamin D3.

Message to General Mills:

I have read that Cheerios (the original whole grain variety) is not considered vegetarian because General Mills uses vitamin D3 in its formulation. The box only lists "vitamin D" but does not specify if the type is D2 (plant-derived) or D3 (animal-derived). Could you please clarify this for me? As I try to avoid consumption of animal by-products when possible, I want to make sure that I am making an informed purchase decision. Thank you for your time.

Response from General Mills:

Thank you for contacting General Mills with your inquiry.

There is vitamin D3 in Cheerios.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if we can help you again.

Message to PETA:

Hi there, thank you for creating the great "I Can't Believe It's Vegan" site. I have two questions:

1) Cheerios contains vitamin D3. (I verified this with General Mills.. it is D3 although the box only specifies vitamin D.) Doesn't this make Cheerios non-vegan (and non-vegetarian)?

2) Do you have plans to expand your site to include household items (cleaning, bath, etc.) or is there a similar site for those items?

Thanks!!

Response from PETA:

Thank you for contacting PETA about the products that appear on our “I Can’t Believe It’s Vegan!” list. We understand your concern that some of these products may contain ingredients, such as monoglycerides, stearoyl lactylic acid, and natural flavors, that are derived from animals. We also appreciate this chance to explain our position.

Since you’re checking out lists of animal ingredients in the first place, we’re betting that you’re trying to root them out of your diet, and we applaud you for going vegan—without question, it is the best thing that you can do for animals, yourself, and the Earth. However, it’s important to remember that veganism isn’t a dogma but rather an animal-friendly lifestyle.

We want to offer as many options as possible to people who are trying to make the switch to a more compassionate way of living. We prepared the list of vegan foods in order to demonstrate how easy it can be to become a vegan. We want all those who currently believe that vegans have “nothing to eat” to realize that veganism is a feasible, realistic option for everyone. Adopting a vegan diet should not be regarded as a chore; we want to help people make the switch to a compassionate diet with as little effort as possible.

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to make absolutely sure that nothing that we eat has ever come into contact with animal-derived products. Let’s not pretend that even “pure” vegan food hasn’t been processed with electricity that destroys habitat, delivered in gas-fueled vehicles, and so on. Sadly, everything that we eat involves some degree of animal suffering. Indeed, there are many “pure” vegan foods that surely cause more suffering (to animals who are caught in combines, who eat pesticides or herbicides, etc.) than foods that contain minuscule amounts of some product that may be animal-derived. Our goal is to reduce animal suffering as much as possible.

For a further discussion of this topic, please check out the essay on the following Web page: CaringConsumer.com/labels.html. Please also view www.caringconsumer.com (http://www.caringconsumer.com/) for the information you were searching for regarding cruelty-free cosmetic and household items.

We respect your views and realize that the issues that you raise are complex. As animal activists, we face similar issues and decisions every day. Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for doing all you can to help animals.

Gorilla
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:44 PM
i read that message on their website. now i'm not a total health nut and i eat processed foods, but i'd still rather not eat products that are still *intentionally* made with animal products. Cheerios are knowingly made with D3, yet Peta call them vegan. i wouldn't eat anything with D3 in it no matter what Peta says about it.

ok if that makes me anally retentive then so be it. i dread the day when convenience foods like these are widely considered to be vegan and aren't, and it'll be even more difficult to get genuinely vegan products. it's debatable how much these small amounts of animal products contribute to the meat/dairy industries, probably not that much, but i'd still rather not eat them because i don't like the idea of it.

Peta do a lot of good work on behalf of animals, but sometimes i think they're way off and this is one of those times. :(

uww27225
Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
My intentions for starting this thread were not to attack peta or junk food. I have only been eating a vegan diet for barely 2 weeks and am trying to "learn the ropes". I was excited when I first found the list, but my emotions quickly turned to disappointment when I realized the number of products on the list that clearly weren't vegan at all. The peta argument that it makes it easier for people to become vegan doesn't make sense to me. It seems that there were plenty of items omitted from the list that could be considered vegan and by putting non-vegan items on the list, only makes me more frustrated in my searching. Looks like I'll just have to keep scrutinizing labels. :)

cedarblue
Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
for me, if you're making a vegan list of acceptable foodstuffs..er it should be vegan - if you're making a list of veggie stuffs....er it can be veggie, not necessarily vegan!

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Gorilla, uww2, cedar, I agree with what you have posted. I avoid animal products for many reasons. I'd have to say the biggest reason is a Spiritual one, since all the others stem from that one choice...to be Spiritually connected to all living things. To consume even a minor bit of an animal product is repugnant to me on every level. It makes me psychicly and physically ill. Really. I do not jest. My partner and daughter have the same reaction!

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
PETA seems to always pick celebrities for their campaigns who aren't vegan, yet they refer to them as vegan.

Yeah, what the hell IS that? And PETA's "I can't believe it's vegan" page is bull$hit too! Hello! MANY of those things are NOT VEGAN! :(

They also call people who eat fish and other sea animals "vegetarian" from time to time, baffling me (see Pam Anderson).

FR
Oct 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM
crap, i knew it!! what about cheerios??

I always seem to see conflicting information about Cheerios. I was told they use D3 derived from fish or sheep fur. That would make Cheerios non-vegan. Others were told it is synthetic D3. They should just use D2 instead.

rainbow
Oct 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
The important thing about Cheerios is that they are made by Nestle, who are a highly unethical company - see eg www.babymilkaction.org (http://www.babymilkaction.org). I quote: "Nestlé is the target of a boycott because of its aggressive marketing of baby foods and campaigners also highlight its trade union busting activities, involvement in child labour, environmental destruction of its water bottling business, use of GM technology and other causes of concern ". Any company that is happy to sacrifice the lives of third world children in order to make money promoting cow's milk cannot be considered to have any vegan products IMHO, regardless of what the ingredients on the packet say.

aubergine
Oct 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Well said Rainbow.There are plenty of alternatives to Nestle products.

peaches22
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Wow, I always thought PETA was perfect, but as I constantly have to remind myself, nothing is. I still respect PETA, but I'm not going to trust them with their vegan wand (magically makes things vegan).

Meikmeik
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I myself am a newbie to the vegan world and I must say I am learning a great deal. I know that it's possible noone has the same thought process as myself but I don't care who tells me something is vegan I will still read the labels, that same formulation for a product in my state may be different in your state.

I've been to the PETA site a couple times, when I see celebrities endorsing organizations and/or products I try to steer clear of them. If I decided to become vegan b/c a celebrity was endorsing veganism I wouldn't have stuck with it since I wasn't doing it for myself. PETA and veganism are not synonomous (sp?).

Meikmeik