PDA

View Full Version : Vegan margarine

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

veggiewoman
Jun 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I maybe wrong, but don't ALL the Pure ranges of marg have palm oil in them- palm oil - a major threat to rainforests as they are chopped down to grow palm oil? Or are some palm oils grown in environmentally friendlier ways:confused: , either way I much prefer the M&S one anyway lol.

Conrad
Jun 25th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Good question, the palm oil comes from peru I believe so it may or may not be threatening rainforests depending on what part of the country it comes from.
Here's a link:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87
I should email these folks and get the skinny before I go around promoting such a product.

boomer
Jul 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry if this is else where...

I know a few of us in the uk use this as for me it's so much better than Pure. But and big but... the company that made it have gone bankrupt, so it's no longer available. I have spoken to the customer care line 0800636262 and they at the mo can't find another supplier. Have had a bit of a moan that this was probably the best alternative to those of us that wish to avoid dairy and was told that it may be at least a year before we get it or similar back, I then went on to explain that there were very few reasons to visit a large supermarket and could they get it back sooner......etc.
So if any of you feel that you could also have a moan then they may realise there are alot of us out here and we want the alternatives.
I can't eat pure tastes like cack to me, so thats it no toast for breaky :(
Cheers to any that try....

VeganJohn
Jul 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
What about Suma spread, have you tried that? Can't believe you don't like Pure, have you tried both the Soya (Green tub) and Sunflower (Blue tub) products?

veggiewoman
Jul 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
try Marks & Spencers dairy free spread, its fab.
I am with you on not liking PURE , never liked it much , plus it has palm oil in it too.
I hope you get want you want back or find a yummy alternative very soon :)

VeganJohn
Jul 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Never tried the M and S. I never shop there though, so that's why :)

moonshadow
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
i like suma organic sunflower spread, but our healthfood store goes back and forth on stocking it currently they stock vitaquell which we like better than pure. i'll go with it or suma over pure any day. (but will use pure if it's all that's available!)

moonshadow
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
i like earth balance in the states and can't stand smart balance.

moonshadow
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM
my goodness the heat has eaten my brain! i already posted on page one! sorry!

moonshadow
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
as for price, we tend to pay around £1.59 for a 500g (i think that's the size!) tub of either suma or vitaquell.

boomer
Jul 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Will try the M & S one.... fingers crossed

lozza
Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
the m&s one is my favorite :) its yummy & creamy. but i mostly buy 'pure' cos i can get it from everywhere! i have to go up a hill to get to m&S :P

in my local healthfood establishment, they sell suma. its about £1.50. i havent tried it..but its a small name brand, and i'd like to support that :) but i dunno what it tastes like. might try that one day.

edit:
it might not actually be a small name, lol..i just assumed it was cos its less well-known than pure.

Korn
Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
1stly apologies as this probably has already been discussed already but I did try looking for a sim thread but coldnt find one lol.

Hi, try this thread...
Favourite sandwich filling/bread spread? (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532)

Gorilla
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM
i know some people on here like the Sainsburys Free From margarine; do they still make it? in my local Sainsburys the other day there was a sign on the shelf saying they would no longer be stocking it - and that people should buy Pure instead!

Mr Flibble
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM
you should - it's much nicer :)

Sainbury's supplier no longer make it, they are investigating an alternative but are suggesting people buy the more superior pure in the meantime.

twinkle
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Has anyone checked into the vitamins in the M&S margarine?

My housemate bought the Sainsbury's organic olive oil spread, which, despite not having milk listed in the ingredients or allergens is only marked vegetarian, not vegan. I would imagine it's because it also lists added vitamins. Isn't vitamin D (one of the additives) sometimes derived from sheeps wool?

lozza
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
it can be yeah. people were always talking about the sainsburys free from one, and i never ever saw it. i was buying pure for a while, but cos of the palm oil, i'm back onto m&s dairy free spread.

sandra
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I love the M&S one, infact I have to go again tomorrow and buy another 3 or 4 lots of it as I've just ran out! I had to have baked potato tonight without my M&S dairy free spread! :(

lozza
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:35 PM
its lovely :D i'm trying to cut down on things like fat (even though it is a vegan one!) so i just bought the small tub and am trying to make it last me.

Pob
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:59 PM
it can be yeah. people were always talking about the sainsburys free from one, and i never ever saw it. i was buying pure for a while, but cos of the palm oil, i'm back onto m&s dairy free spread.I'd be surprised if it was palm oil free. It may just be that it is listed as vegetable oil, rather than palm oil.

twinkle
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM
So does anyone know if the M&S dairy free marge is actually vegan? Or do you not really care about vitamins because it's such a small proportion of the final product?

sandra
Aug 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Twinkle, I contacted M&S myself and they assured me that their dairy free spread is completely vegan. :)

Gorilla
Aug 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM
you should - it's much nicer :)

Sainbury's supplier no longer make it, they are investigating an alternative but are suggesting people buy the more superior pure in the meantime.
i buy Pure anyway, i was just interested to see that Sainsburys were actually recommending Pure over their own (albeit discontinued) product. i think i tried the Sainsburys one once and if i remember correctly it tasted a bit weird to me.

the palm oil in Pure is a concern but i don't use that much margarine (mainly because i don't eat bread very often), and as Pob says palm oil can just be listed as vegetable oil so it's hard to tell without contacting the manufacturers. i might email Pure about the palm oil as i have emailed them before and they were helpful (i was asking about them making their packaging more eco-friendly; they said they can't change it at the moment).

sandra
Aug 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Well, I got 3 lots of the M&S dairy free spread today, that should last a while and Twinkle, the vit d in the spread is vit d2, which is vegan, so no need to worry about that. :)

twinkle
Aug 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Great! thanks for that, sandra :)