PDA

View Full Version : Vegan margarine

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

veggiewoman
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
1stly apologies as this probably has already been discussed already but I did try looking for a sim thread but coldnt find one lol.

I jsut wanted to promote Marks and Spencer dairy free margarine , it really suprised my friends and I just how good it tasted and also it is free from Palm Oil aswell.
I will be buying that from now on :)
Anybody else buy this ?

absentmindedfan
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
It's PURE all the way for me. Definately vegan you see. Other dairy-free spreads I've seen have buttermilk or whey or milkfat in them :(
Haven't seen Sainsbury's or M&S's though

Troutina
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
It's relatively new the Sainsburys butter I think, and I try to swap between Pure and the Sainsburys one, so that they get fair share of my money :p

Cherry
Apr 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM
When I first went vegan I used to get sainsbury's free from marg, but then it disappeared and I discovered Pure, which I've been using since. I really like it. I also like the fact that you get a fairly big tub of it. :)

lozza
Apr 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
i've used the m+s one, its VERY good, isnt it? :D

my boyfriend doesnt like the green 'pure' but he likes the sunflower one, and he likes the m+s one. he says its got a really nice taste :)

i mostly buy pure though, cos m+s is up a hill and i cant be bothered walking there, lol. but i get it when i can.

cedarblue
Apr 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
my boyfriend doesnt like the green 'pure' but he likes the sunflower one,.

i agree with him, the yellow one wins for me too! the sunflower one seems to spread nicer too.

veggiewoman
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
thanks for the replies everybody :), I stopped buy ing the pure spreads as soon as I found the M&S one and unlike the Pure spreads the M&S one does NOT contain palm oil which is grown by cutting down rainforests.

Pob
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Can someone post the ingredient list of the M&S dairy free spread, please?

lozza
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM
lol, was trying to find the ingredients list for you. and i found a 'review' of the product on the observer guardian site:

"M&S low fat dairy free sunflower spread, 38% fat, 500g, 85p. Absolutely disgusting. Manages to wrap itself round your tongue. Avoid at all costs.
no stars"

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1127927,00.html

i think its quite nice actually :)

jackie@lit
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM
IMHO this is the best tasting and textured vegan margarine, but Sainsbury's have stopped selling it as from June 4th. :( They may consider reintroducing it if enough people express a wish for it to be. If you'd like it to be reintroduced call their customer services on 0800 636262 and say you want to make a product request.

jackie@lit
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:58 PM
It took me years to find a nice tasting vegan margarine, but I've been using Sainsbury's Free From margarine ever since I found it. But I've discovered that they have now stopped selling it:mad: However, apparently if enough people ask for it to be restocked they will consider it. So if you like the stuff too, please contact Sainsbury's at http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/contactus/contactus.htm

Troutina
Jun 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Done and Done.

Mr Flibble
Jun 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Sainsburys dairy free was the first nice marg to hit the market that I know of - before that I somehow got by with super manky stuff for healthfood stores. However Pure came a few months later and was a lot nicer IMHO. Sainsburys at some point got better than when it was first released, but Pure is still great and available in most supermarkets and health food stores. At a guess Sainburys are pulling their own brand to stock it instead

moochbabe
Jun 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I'd ask for them to stock it but I don't think we can get it in the states, so I don't think I'd be much help. :(

Pob
Jun 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Round here it has always been the other way. I've been in and there has been no Pure, only Sainsbury Free From. I prefer the Pure, too - especially as they have an organic one, which Sainsbury don't. So I'll actually be happy to see the Free From disappear.

Mr Flibble
Jun 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Sainsburys only stock pure in the really large stores.

eve
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
imho all margarines are harmful - it's what makes the oil go solid enough to be spread. Why not just dip your bread into a little bowl of olive oil, or spread avocado or homas on your bread? :)

Pob
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
They're not hydrogenated, Eve - they're not really margarines, they're spreads.

A mixture of vegetable oil (rapeseed, soya or sunflower), palm fat, water and emulsifiers. Nothing too bad in there.

twinkle
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Waaaay back (10 years or so?) Sainsbury's did a fantastic organic marge that was also vegan. I miss the hell out of that stuff. I quite like the Free From but it's not a patch on the old stuff so I reckon we should campaign them to bring that back instead ;)

sandra
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Has anyone tried Marks and Spencers dairy free sunflower spread? It's the nicest one I've tried so far, although I haven't tried the Sainsbury's one yet!

feral
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I have that in the fridge atm sandra, haven't gotten round to trying it yet though.

twinkle
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Has anyone tried Marks and Spencers dairy free sunflower spread? It's the nicest one I've tried so far, although I haven't tried the Sainsbury's one yet!

Marks and Sparks are doing something dairy free??? :falls over in shock:

:gets up and runs to the high street to have a looksee: :D

sandra
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I have that in the fridge atm sandra, haven't gotten round to trying it yet though.
Hope you like it as much as I do Feral, it doesn't seem to have that awful margariney taste others do.

sandra
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Marks and Sparks are doing something dairy free??? :falls over in shock:

:gets up and runs to the high street to have a looksee: :D
Hi Twinkle, yes I was surprised too, I even emailed them to make doubly sure it was vegan and they assured me it was. They also do these 'healthy' potato rosti thingys and I checked that they were vegan, they are lovely too!

feral
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks sandra, the Sainsbury's one is really nice too, even melted on toast yumm