PDA

View Full Version : co-enzyme Q 10

herbwormwood
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I have read the natural source of this vitamin is mainly meat.
Does anyone have a list of veg this is present in and could vegans be low in it?
It is recommended for cardio and peridontal function.

Tray
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Good sources of Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) are:

peanuts
spinach

from http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/coenzymeQ10.php

DianeVegan
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:39 AM
About half of the Coenzyme Q10 in your body is made in your liver and the rest comes from food. Many foods have some amount in them. Good sources are soy, canola oil, wheat germ, rice bran. However, even these have just small amounts. So it's a good thing that your body doesn't need much. Your body does need plenty of vitamin C, vitamin E, the B vitamins and selenium to properly make CoQ10.

If you are deficient then supplements are the easiest way to go. If you are not deficient then supplements are a waste of money. Vegan supplements are available here. (http://www.veganstore.com/index-store.html?page=3&deptid=21236&parentid=92&itemsperpage=12)

Tiggerwoo
Apr 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I take a good CQ10 supplement from Biocare, which my naturopath put me on a few months ago for some health problems.

Is really good along with hawthorn berry (crategus tincture) for cardio function and circulation.

feral
Apr 11th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Me too tiggerwoo, I take 30mg (Quest) per day but at the moment have upped it to 60mg to help with relapse and migraine.

Tiggerwoo
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
OOohh I feel greedy now, was on 200mg per day!:D :D :D

feral
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Blimey I didn't know you were able to take that much tiggs... 90mg is what's recommended by the Migraine association.

tabitha
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
My husband has a deficiency in Q10, also a low white blood count or something:confused: He had tests about 3 months ago, has taken some vitamins and wont go back to get it checked out. I could slap that bloke sometimes.

Tiggerwoo
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Blimey I didn't know you were able to take that much tiggs... 90mg is what's recommended by the Migraine association.

Oops, no wonder I'm always hyperactive!:D Was taking it under the guidance of my naturopath, so presume its OK, have taken that dose since new year.:confused:

Tabi, typical bloke........ won't do anything till they're falling apart at the seams, live with one like that myself!:D