PDA

View Full Version : Post your favourite Oven Fries recipes!

Yoggy
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:19 AM
After swapping some oven fry recipes with Veganwitch, I thought we should have a thread devoted just to oven fries where we can share our favourite recipes! My apologies if there is already a thread like this: I DID search for one like it, and didn't find anything.

Here's the recipe for what my roommates call my "bomb fries" :D They bug me to make them at least once every couple weeks. They're SO easy, but they only like it when I make them, go figure :rolleyes:.

I use Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe, but white or red potatoes work just as well.
Preheat oven to 475F
Slice potatoes lengthwise into 8 wedges (or more/less, as desired)
put in a bowl and drizzle on some olive oil (or other vegetable oil). I just use guesswork for this, but about 1/4 cup for every 2 potatoes should be enough. Gently stir to coat evenly with oil.
Lightly oil a cookie sheet or lasagna dish. I usually line it with tin foil first to prevent sticking. Place wedges in a single layer on pan and sprinkle with the following (my "5 secret spices" ;)): salt, pepper, paprika, basil, and oregano (or parsley).
Bake about 12 minutes, then flip the wedges and sprinkle again with the 5 spices
Bake another 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and start to look "puffy"
Place on a dish lined with one or two paper towels to drain off excess oil before putting in serving dish.I like to eat them with ketchup and vegenaise. Whenever I make veggie burgers and fries, I never get to the burger because I'm too full from the fries!

If anyone has a different recipe for oven fries, I'd love to hear it! And Veganwitch, you should post your two recipes here as well. I'll let you know how I like them :D

Jane M
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I make mine pretty much the same but I add lots of minced garlic. Big garlic freak here.:rolleyes:

Yoggy
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I make mine pretty much the same but I add lots of minced garlic. Big garlic freak here.:rolleyes:
You mean minced fresh garlic? :eek: That would be awfully garlicky I think. But tasty too ;)

veganwitch
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I am so bad about being precise w/ recipes, but here goes......

I use any type of white baking, russet, gold (even sweet or yams) and cut them up real thin

Spread out in single layer and drizzle with approximately 3-4 tbl. olive oil (more or less depending on how many potatoes you use)

Then I sprinkle with gomasio (sesame seeds w/ sea salt). Sometimes I use gomasio w/ added garlic or seaweed.

I bake at 425 until they are crispy around the edges. I turn them once.

I find them delicious but then I never met a french fry I didn't like.

Another way I've made oven fries includes using unsweetened cocoa! Sounds odd I know. I had adapted a recipe from a magazine. Figured who could go wrong with chocolate and fries. I liked them but my husband preferred them without cocoa so I used to make two separate pans but then it just got easier to make them all the same.

From what I recall of the cocoa ones. I cut them up the same and drizzled with oil. Then I mixed cocoa (maybe 1 tbl?), w/ black pepper, cayenne, oregano, salt.....and baked them.

Enjoy!!

Tigerlily
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I just like cumin and bake until crispy.

Risker
Apr 11th, 2006, 02:13 AM
If I make baked potatoes I'll cook some extra ones so the next day I can make potato wedges.

I chop them into 8 wedges each, put them in a deep baking tray, cover them with oil, sprinkle them with salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and sometimes I use Cajun Seasoning/garlic/rosemary/chilli powder or whatever else is laying about. (If I've got the oil left from a jar of sun dried tomatoes I sometimes use that instead of normal oil for an extra bit of flavour)

Make sure they're evenly covered, put them in the oven at a high temperature (since they're already cooked they just need browning and making crispy.)

I eat them with every type of sauce I have available, ketchup, brown sauce, chilli sauce, relishes, chutneys, mustard, guacamole if I've made them spicy, salsa, hoi sin, you name it.

Jane M
Apr 11th, 2006, 02:25 AM
You mean minced fresh garlic? :eek: That would be awfully garlicky I think. But tasty too ;)

Vampires fear me!!!:cool:

foxytina_69
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:20 AM
i just slice up the potatoes into fry sizes, like the smaller sizes, not wedges. then i spray them with a little cooking spray (to make them low fat) and then season them with garlic, pepper, salt (if im not watching my sodium intake), paprika, sometimes chili powder, sometimes cajun seasoning if i have it, and parsley.

i bake them at 400 degrees and flip often so they get crispy all around, and eat when done. mmm i want some now.

i eat them with vegan mayo, ketchup... really anything. sometimes sweet chili sauce, etc.

snaffler
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Marris Piper Spuds chooped into thick wedges, some Corn Oil Pre-heated in an over tray (in the over) place in wedges, sprinkle with rock salt, cracked pepper and rosemary.

Thats it for a plain and simple one, but tastes acem you get a great finish with those spuds and Corn Oil.

foxytina_69
Jul 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM
i made some this morning as a snack.

i seasoned them with paprika, sea salt, cajun seasoning, and mrs. dash fake salt. i cant wait to eat them. theyre still baking.

foxytina_69
Jul 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
here are my oven fries. i also made a dip for them. its just vegan mayo and mustard mixed together. it sounds wierd but its SO good. its kindof like honey mustard, without the honey lol.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/foxytina/Picture187.jpg

herbwormwood
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:26 PM
my recipe is similar to Yoggy but I often do other root veg in a similar way, sometimes with the spuds. Beetroot, parsnip, and carrot work well, in fact most root veg work.

Smoothie
Jul 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
i usually cook slice potatoes, sweet potatoes, beet root, carrots, celery and other good stuff, and spice them with either paprika or chili or rosemary. and oil, salt and pepper. soo good. and healthy too.