PDA

View Full Version : Nuts

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fruitbat
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Nuts should be stored in an airtight container away from sunlight - so the best way to keep them is in glass jars in a dark room or cupboard, right? Well I dont have any glass jars so I just make sure the plastics pakcaging is well wrapped round and help with an elastic band and I keep them in my clothes cupboard. Do you reckon that is good enough.

The reason why nuts should be stored this way is to stop the fats being changed by the air and sunlight by oxidation which makes healthy fats less healthy. For the same reason it is best ot eat nuts raw.

I would love to to a biochemical study of nuts over time under different conditions!!!! I guess it would be quite straight forward - at appointed times, extract the fats and run them out on a gas-liquid chromatography.... hmmmm ;)

gertvegan
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
I use old swedish glace tubs fb.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
i KEEP MINE IN THE FREEZER SO AS TO NOT ALLOW THEM TO OXIDIZE AND BECOME RANCID. (oops!, caps lock! :) )

Artichoke47
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
I keep mine in Ziplock bags (or whatever brand) in a cabinet drawer.

Fruitbat
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM
I wonder what would happen if you had a refrigerated vacuum pump that you could keep in a dark place - then it would definitely be air-tight!

I have like planned out this whole experiment right- a selection of nuts and seeds each divided into sub-categories - light air and heat exposed, light exposed but air-tight and cool, heat exposed but air-tight and dark, air available but cool and dark, light warm but airtight, light in air but cool, warm in air but dark, and airtight dark and cool - and within each group fat analysis at the same time intervals over a pre-determined amount of time!

I think the idea of Swedish glace tubs is a good one except that as yet I have been good and havent eaten any! I am saving myselt up for that Caramel one coming out in October and the Swedish glace chocolate-coated sticks!

I have never heard of freezing nuts ... I dont suppose it does them any harm infact at the very least it will keep the protein stable. Still I would be too impatient waiting for them to thaw!!!!!

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
No thaw time needed, really. The refrigerator or freezer works just as well to keep them fresh...

Inchoate
Aug 31st, 2004, 09:07 PM
Nut oils are some of the most susceptible to rancidity that there are, short of saturated animal fats. Keep all nuts in the freezer - you can buy more in bulk, and keep them longer - and any nut oils for salads in the fridge.

indianvegan
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:01 PM
We do store in our refrigerator only.

Kiva Dancer
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I love the deep-freeze for storing nuts.

foxytina_69
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
what is your favorite nut? mine is cashews because they taste kindof creamy and soft.

John
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Brazil

Atlanta Newbie
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Almonds make a great snack. Can't argue with cashews, though, FoxyTina!

Mystic
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM
I cannot really eat too much nuts - they make me feel sick. But I always loved macadamias and peanut butter is a weakness for me.

gertvegan
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Apart from cedarblue, cashew . This could/should be changed to a poll perhaps.

Artichoke47
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Walnuts

cedarblue
Sep 13th, 2004, 04:08 PM
psta...pastatio...psati...oh you know what i mean! ;)

wuggy
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Hazelnuts.

Artichoke47
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Oh, hazelnuts sound good. Are they available year-round in the bulk food aisle or something? I never noticed them, but I guess I never particularly searched, either.

foxytina_69
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
i didnt make it a poll because there are so many different kind of nuts, i dont know them all!

eve
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:42 PM
pecans

cast_the_flames
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM
cashews! mmmm!

Kiva Dancer
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Anything but walnuts. I really can't stomach them. :(

assilembob
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:05 AM
:D This could go so wrong...I am thinking like my students...

I am a big fan of cashews and brazil nuts...although I never eat brazil nuts unless they happen to be in something. My favoirte type of ice cream before I went Vegan...Ben and Jerry's had some with brazil nuts in them called rain forest crunch...I am cravin...BAH on B&J for no soy options yet.
~Mel

Roxy
Sep 14th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Macadamias are my favourite! When I lived in Brisbane, I used to have a macadamia tree in my yard :p

cowpie
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Walnuts are my favorites, but I don't think there's a nut I don't like...