PDA

View Full Version : dumping grapes

eve
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM
The ABC reported today that tens of thousands of tonnes of Riverland wine grapes will be dumped on the ground or left to rot on the vine this season because of the national oversupply. The South Australian growers have been left with no market for their fruit after some had contracts suspended, while others were not able to renew their agreements with wineries.

The region's lost income could total $65 million. Loxton grower Glenn Arnold says the situation is desperate, "We're just trying to survive," he said.

"Everybody says there's swings and roundabout and you know good times are followed by bad times, bad times are usually followed by good times ... we've just got to hang in there. "If we don't we're out, we're gone. And that will happen to some people unfortunately and that's pretty bad."

Hey, how about giving away the grapes to people who couldn't afford to buy them? It's not just easter prices, but for a few months now, price of fruit and vegies are unbelievably high. Wouldn't mind a few grapes myself!

Klutz
Apr 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
They should send them up here to Korea! I'd LOVE to have some affordable grapes!

Tigerlily
Apr 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hey, how about giving away the grapes to people who couldn't afford to buy them? It's not just easter prices, but for a few months now, price of fruit and vegies are unbelievably high. Wouldn't mind a few grapes myself!

They don't want to pay for shipping if they aren't making a profit off them.