PDA

View Full Version : Unusual things for salads you enjoy

Pages : [1] 2

jamieoneill
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'd like to know what unconventional things you've tried putting in salads and how did it taste.

English salads are a bit conservative, I think. I've read that the Israeli salad has almost anything you can think of in it.

Please share you best recipes and tips. Low fat would be good as well.

:cool:

tipsy
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM
nothing is too wierd to be in a salad.

i have put any and or everything in a dish and called it a salad...:D

Risker
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Not very odd but I quite like orange, avocado and watercress.

jamieoneill
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Fruit.. cool. Orange with watercress I can't imagine!

veggiesosage
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I like smoked tofu and artichoke hearts and, of course, the aforementioned avocado.

Jane M
Apr 16th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I like to toss in either some nuts or beans. I use those instead of the croutons that a lot of people use.

Tigerlily
Apr 16th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Guys, those things aren't weird! They are normal things for salads!

spiralannie
Apr 16th, 2006, 02:00 AM
i lurve mandarin slices in my salads, but that isn't weird.
apple chutney, when it's thin and not gooey, goes really well as a salad dressing.
but as far as salad goes, nothing's as weird as candlestick salad. it's this old school fruit salad that involves bananas with pineapple rings around them to make them stand, and cherries or strawberries on top (the "flame") and mayo/cream cheese (vegan, in our case) as wax drippings.
bizarre.

Risker
Apr 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Guys, those things aren't weird! They are normal things for salads!

As jjdaiquiri said there really is nothing too weird to put in salad so I think we all opted for least common.

jamieoneill
Apr 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM
They're all new to me. Thanks.

Tigerlily
Apr 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I like olives.

I like ginger.

I like lots of raw garlic.

I like beans (chickpeas especially).

veganwitch
Apr 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM
mandarin oranges, avocado, faux chicken patties (cooked & cut in strips), toasted walnuts, drizzled w/ raspberry vinagrette on a bed of mixed greens....yum!

raisins are another thing you can add to regular old salads

Seaside
Apr 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I don't know how odd it is, but grapefruit and spinach is very good, and the grapefruit will help you absorb the iron in the spinach.
Sprouted pumpkin seeds are good in salad, too. Edible flowers are very nice. I have come across recipes for rose petal salads.

my3labs
Apr 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I don't know how odd these things might be, but:
spinach
olives
avocado
sunflower seeds
almond slivers
chick peas
cucumber (peeled)
carrots
cabbage
french fried onions (not so healthy, but yummy)
And I really like leaf (red or green) lettuce in lieu of head lettuce.
I also love the vegan versions of http://www.anniesnaturals.com dressings. "Goddess" is the best!
My husband likes mushrooms as well, but I'm not a big fan.

Anyway, makes for a really yummy salad.

Roxy
Apr 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mandarin segments, dried cranberries, sprouts, shredded beets - Mmmmm yum!

Jane M
Apr 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I have thrown in corn chips and fried noodles a few times. Dried cranberries are great in slaw type salads too.

Unseen
Apr 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I like to put tosted sunflower seeds ontop of my salad. As a dressing I like a miso/balsamic vinigar blend.

speedylemons
Apr 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I basically add as many veggies as i can find, and then sometimes various seeds, but i really like mustard and balsamic vinegar mixed as a dressing. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mustard. :D

Wildflower
Apr 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Mmm...as far as weird, sometimes I bake a potato, and cut that up and put it in a salad. Oven fries go great in salad too.

Cut up fake chicken patties, sliced up grilled portabella mushrooms, smoked tofu, veggies, beans, seeds, olives, nuts, are what I use. Pasta thrown in is good too, and torn up peices of bread.

I have seen recipes for something called souper salad, basically a vegetable soup, that has all the salad stuff in it.

Usually I eat salad with spinach, then add grape tomato, red/yellow pepper, onion, brocolli, shredded carrots, olives, croutons and an olive oil vinegar dressing - I like Newman's Own Light Itallian Dressing. avacado is great too, i do that quite a lot. Taco salads with soymeat is yummy too!

I usually eat salad with some sort of soymeat, and or a baked potato.

Mmm..salad! I eat quite a lot of that in the summertime...I may go make one right now!

absentmindedfan
Apr 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Nasturtium flowers and leaves are good in salads, not to mention herbs, washed dandelion leaves, courgette flowers, raw baby courgettes, fresh shredded beetroot....

Wildflower
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Mmm, herbs are good in salads. I saw Roxy here posting about an Organic Herb Salad mix, and I purchased it and it was soooo good!

Seaside
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Lettuce, tomato, black olive, and onion with hummus thinned enough to pour, and then hot falafel crumbled on top, and eaten while the falafel is still hot, is very good.

ukahela
Apr 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
yay, i love salads!! these are some of my favourite combinations:

shredded carrot+beetroot, sweet pepper, lettuce, cucumber, asparagus (tinned), corn (tin), avo, lots of oregano. and if you like: celery and shredded courgette (though some say raw courgette is indigestible)

boiled millet or quinoa; sweet pepper, lettuce, cucumber, black olives, avo, marjoram

rice noodles, mung bean sprouts (raw or boiled), carrot sticks, celery sticks, lettuce or napa cabbage, avo, tahini & on top ground seaweed (i use wakame). optional; sweet pepper, and sesame seeds or roasted peanuts or peanut sprouts on top.

kasha or buckwheat (boiled), plenty of sauerkraut, shredded carrot, lettuce, sweet pepper, spices for example: ground ginger+black pepper OR turmeric+white pepper.

tomato, sweet pepper, cucmber, lettuce, sundried tomatoes, plenty of seeds/nuts, e.g. sunflower seeds+cashew nuts or pumpkin seeds. etc (whole or ground).

rice, avo, lettuce, tinned peas, fried mushrooms, plenty of curry

pasta (regular or buckwheat), fried or dry-fried broccoli+ carrots+sweet pepper+courgette or any other veg you fancy; a sauce of plain soya yoghurt + mustard

pepper, lettuce, cucumber, a tin of beans (or homecooked, or sprouted) such as fava, or chickpeas, or whatever sort or combination. took some getting used to beans, now i sort of like them! sprouted they should have better absorbed protein and produce less gas, some say.

a tip for variation and nutrients, is to boil quinoa/millet/rice etc with spinach or broccoli or some other green; makes it really flavoursome. just remember to throw it in at the right time, as they are done much quicker than the grains.

speedylemons
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Today i made a salad with mixed argula greens, tomato, 1 lg yam, sauteed portobellas/green onions/garlic, and some crushed peppercorns. it was extroidinarily tasty. :D

rantipole
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I'm surprised no has mentioned walnuts. Spinach, walnuts, dried cranberries and vinagraitte make a wonderful salad.

I also like pine nuts and this prepackaged seasoned baked tofu. Avocado is probably my favorite salad item. Sometimes I'll use hummus in place of dressing.

Cheers,
rant