PDA

View Full Version : Pub food suggestions

Risker
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:48 PM
I spoke to my pub landlord and asked if he would be prepared to offer a vegan option on his menu, I'm glad to say he agreed (My suggestion that it might get him more business may have helped.)

Anyway, he said that if I emailed him some recipes he'd see about getting them put on the menu. The requirements he said were that the ingredients used in the recipes shouldn't be too perishable.

I think it's also safe to assume that it would be better if the ingredients were fairly cheap and not too exotic (so ingredients don't have to be kept specifically for that one meal) and that the recipe's are fairly quick and easy (Or can be prepared in advance and stored.)

They have Heineken on tap so if they introduced vegan food aswell I would have no reason to leave! :D

If anyone can suggest any recipes I'd be grateful :) I'd prefer a recommendation of 1 recipe than a link to hundreds of them if you get what I mean. :)

~Lenore
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hmm... bar food... how about:

Tortilla chips with plain beans & salsa, or guacomole, too
Veggie sandwiches? The only problem would be making sure the bread is vegan.
Vegan chili, made with just tomato sauce, beans, veggies & spices?
Soups are always great, many many possibilities, easy & cheap
Hummus & bread/pita/crackers/pretzels

Here's an easy recipe I like:

Kidney Bean Burgers

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
1/2 cup oats
2 Tablespoons Braggs (or tamari or soy sauce)
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, optional
onion powder, optional
oil
Directions:
Mash kidney beans. Add oats, Braggs, and seasonings.

Mix and form into patties. Fry in oil until brown on both sides.

Put that on some vegan bread, or if they have none, on lettuce. And then serve with french fries or veggies or something?
Good luck! :)

RedWellies
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM
That's great, Risker. I don't do cooking but I'm sure someone can come up with a risotto recipe or a pie, they use "normal" ingredients.

Tigerlily
Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Chips/french fries cooked in exclusively vegetable oil by themselves.

tipsy
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
i like the veggie chilli idea!

some of the bars around here serve things such as marinated tofu sandwiches with veganaise and veggies, hummus and pita bread is good too, chips and salsa, maybe some wraps with veggies and hummus/veganaise & an alternate protien source?... a vegan veggie burger is a good idea too. how about mini vegan pizzas!

now im getting hungry!:D

Wildflower
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:41 AM
cheeseless pizza...that would keep if it was frozen.

also, a good assortment of deep fried floured veggies - a lot of premade ones have milk/egg in the batter.

could you do samosas? i don't know about you guys, but i think drinking goes well with greasy food.

also, make sure any mixed nuts are gelatin free

over here we do popcorn at bars - you could do vegan popcorn (do you guys eat popcorn?)

shepherd's/cottage pies

grilled veggie sandwiches

veggie soups

veggies chili

good veggie salads

tofu scramble with potatoes and veg

and maybe a dessert - vegan apple crumble

Sorry, no recipes, just ideas. if you are interested in those ideas i could dig up some recipes.

Risker
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas, so far I'm thinking chilli, bean/vegetable burgers and shepards pie. The recipes need to be for main course meals since they already do things like peanuts/chips/salad etc.

They also needs to appeal to vegans/vegetarians and meat eaters alike since if it doesn't sell it won't stay on the menu so ingredients like tofu or recipes like cheesless pizza I don't think would work.

I'm going to try and put some recipes together on Monday/Tuesday into an email together with some info on what is/isn't suitable for vegans.

If all goes according to plan I'll be inviting you all to my local to try it out :)