PDA

View Full Version : Vegan foods that you want to try!

Pages : [1] 2 3

~Lenore
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I thought this would be a fun thread. Especially for newish vegans. When I first became vegan, not that long ago, there were so many foods & recipes I wanted to try. I was almost overwhelmed. :p

I had already eaten lots of tofu as a ovo-lacto, so I knew I liked that.

I tried falafel = loved it.

Avacado = HATED it at first, then liked it.

Young thai coconut = I had to try this because it gets so much hype with the raw foodies. And EW. I did not like it at all. It think it's the texture of the meat, because the flavour is tolerable and I like mature coconuts a lot. I hate to say it, but the texture reminds me of animal fat, I think... or squid! I just can't swallow it.

Just tried tabouli tonight... and I'm torn. I had it prepared pretty plainly, so maybe if it was jazzed up I'd like it more.

I've also tried dates and pomegrantes for the first time since becoming vegan, and I like them both.

I still want to try:

Jicama (sp?)
Quinoa
Clif bars
Clif nectar bars
Blood oranges
Papaya
Seitan & TVP
Tempeh
Almond butter
Figs
Tahini

Sometimes I think to myself, "How did I get to be 16 and had never had an avacado/a pomegrante/etc.?!"
It's a shame how many of nature's beautiful foods people (the general omni population) have never tried because of their dependency on the meat & processed foods and garbage of the Standard American Diet. :(
Anyone else ever feel that way?

Nadine
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
When I became vegan I tried
falafels (which I loved too)
avocados (although I'd tried them before I refound them)
yeast flakes (quite tasty)
Tempeh (dunno if I cooked it wrong but it was I Hated it)
Next to try Quinoa!

sugarmouse
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:10 PM
i still want to try nutritianal yeast..and have yet to have dairy free creamer in my coffee apart from some i stole from a hotel!

twinkle
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I really want to try proper truffles (as in the funghi) - I guess these can't always be classed as vegan if they're found by pigs or dogs, but I've read of experienced truffle hunting humans being able to find them without animal help as apparently they push the ground up a little bit.

First on the list if I win the lottery :)

Cherry
Apr 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I want to try the licorice allsorts from the veganstore

Tigerlily
Apr 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I want to try:
vegan marshmellows
couscous
millet
hempseed oil
pomengrante juice
fresh juice made by a juicing machine ^_^
Cheezly
Tempeh
Seitan
Plain soy yogurt
Ground round
TVP
Hmmm....what else?

Risker
Apr 26th, 2006, 12:20 AM
The main thing I want to try is Durian fruit

Unseen
Apr 26th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I would love to try exotic fruit, like most of the ones listed here: http://www.fruitlovers.com/fruittreedescriptions.html
Especially peanut butter fruit and brazilian cherry. I'm not so sure about the durian, though.

I'd also like to try that "milk" chocolate bar they have only in England.

RubyDuby
Apr 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Too bad for the fueled transport it'll take to get your exotic fruits and chocolate. :eek:

I want to try vegan marshmallows too! I wonder if they'll get all crunchy and burnt on the outside and melted on the inside like the real ones. I miss them when we camp. :(

mophoto
Apr 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM
i have never had indian food- i suck:)
my friend and i planned to go a few months ago and we never went. the nearest place isn't that far from me - about a 20 minute drive... but since i a have never had indian my friends want to take me to the best place (in their opinion) in town. one day we will overcome the laziness

Wildflower
Apr 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
mophoto - you totally need to try indian - it is awesome!

I am not sure what else I want to try as a vegan...maybe Flax Seed Oil allthough I am never sure as I know it goes rancid, and not every store keeps it refridgerated. I use ground flax.

Interesting thread!

~Luna~
Apr 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I think I would like to try falafel, hummus and some kind of "cheese".

I`ve already tried seitan (made it from scratch myself, it`s okay but not the best thing I`ve had), couscous (a very nice addition when I`m in a serious hurry and want something else than just baked beans straight from the can), tahini (eat it almost every day nowadays partly because it`s healthy), tofu (well, I can eat it but prefer something else really), alfalfa sprouts (must have been one of the most awful things I`ve eaten.. yugh, never again), nutritional yeast & marmite (yummy, have developed an addition actually..) and so on.

Wildflower
Apr 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
alfalfa sprouts (must have been one of the most awful things I`ve eaten.. yugh, never again)

couldn't agree more - I always thought they looked like something pulled out of my shower drain. :eek:

DoveInGreyClothing
Apr 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Amaranth, never seen it anywhere here
Sea vegetables, tried japanese seaweed crackers but thats it
Plamil sugarfree chocolate
A vegan cheese that melts and tastes as good as the real deal, all the ones iv tried are bogging!

Tigerlily
Apr 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
mophoto - you totally need to try indian - it is awesome!

I am not sure what else I want to try as a vegan...maybe Flax Seed Oil allthough I am never sure as I know it goes rancid, and not every store keeps it refridgerated. I use ground flax.

Interesting thread!

My bottles says you can freeze some to keep for later. I freeze half my bottle. It stays fresh in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.

I like it more than ground flax, more versatile!

Haniska
Apr 29th, 2006, 05:19 PM
If you like fried mushrooms -try frying tempeh the size of a bun/sandwich and 1/4 inch thick. Then add all the things that you like on a burger. Also, make sure you salt the tempeh with seasoned salt before you fry it.
Sinfully delicious:D

Wildflower
Apr 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
My bottles says you can freeze some to keep for later. I freeze half my bottle. It stays fresh in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.

I like it more than ground flax, more versatile!

Thanks Tigerlilly. Does the oil actually freeze solid? sometimes things I make with olive oil freeze in my fridge as I keep it so cold. It could be from other things (water) in the olive oil though, and not the actual oil itself.

Tigerlily
Apr 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Flax oil is different then olive oil. Flax doesn't get solid-y in the fridge, and it freezes solid.

fiamma
Apr 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Quinoa - am very curious! Especially as its pronounced Keen-wah...
I wouldn't recognise amaranth if I tripped over it. Unless it said so on the label :D

VeganJohn
Apr 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I have never tried amaranth either, is it similar to millet?

Some japanese foods I saw in a local health store looked very interesting, but I can't remember the names!! Atlantic Dulse is something I would also like to try.

Homemade seitan is top of the list to try though!!

fiamma
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Here's a pic and some info on amaranth I got here (http://www.specialfoods.com/amaranth.html). Kind of hard to tell exactly what it's like from the pic, though you get the idea. Sounds extremely nutritious though, I also read it's high in lysine, needed for bone development and calcium absorption among other things. Definitely must get some of this :D

http://www.specialfoods.com/pictures/amaranth.jpg
"Amaranth is a tall plant with very broad leaves; it produces many thousands of tiny seeds. The leaves and the seeds are edible. The amaranth is closely related to pigweed, spinach, beets, and other plants in the goosefoot family, Chenopodiaceae. Although the amaranth is sometimes classified in the goosefoot family, it is most commonly classified in its own family, Amaranthaceae. The point of all this is that persons who tolerate spinach and beets well may do very well on the highly nutritious seeds, leaves, and flour of the amaranth. Amaranth flour has a pleasant, nutty taste. It makes good tasting bread, muffins, bagels, pasta, milk, imitation nut butter ,cookies, gravies, sauces, pancakes, flatbreads, doughnuts, dumplings, and who knows what else.

http://www.specialfoods.com/pictures/amaranth_fbread.jpg

Amaranth pasta is light brown in color; when cooked, the pasta is the color of whole-wheat noodles and the consistency of regular noodles."

VeganJohn
Apr 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info fiama, I will certainly have to try it. Sounds very nutritious.

fiamma
Apr 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I have some buckwheat in the cupboard that I'm curious to try - I use the flour all the time to make pancakes but never tried the whole grain. Had barley and porcini mushrooms the other day - that was delicious :)

applepie
Apr 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
you definitely must try amaranth! it's amazing! sadly enough I haven't found it anywhere in Britain. I always take loads with me from Germany, or get my family to bring it with them.

I'd really like to try Durian one day!

fiamma
Apr 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'd really like to try Durian one day!

Ooh me too!!! I've heard it smells really bad though. :eek: