PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Thai Food

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

snaffler
Mar 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Cheers Banana I am going to try this one never done a TGC before from scratch I will let you know how I get on or not :D

Aurora
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Good recipe Banana, will try it, thank you. Only query Snow peas anyone?

Love
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:16 AM
;) I believe they are what we refer to as good old garden peas ;)
With love from Love.XXX.

cedarblue
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM
SUDDENLY - i have a real hankering to make a thai curry at home.

i need a good recipe - any offers please? ;)

also, in the uk, anybody know of suitable ready paste bases available in general supermarkets?

thank you in advance :p

Cloudy
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:12 PM
SUDDENLY - i have a real hankering to make a thai curry at home.

i need a good recipe - any offers please? ;)

also, in the uk, anybody know of suitable ready paste bases available in general supermarkets?

thank you in advance :p

There's a good one that's sold in the veggie shop near me, I've been using it for a while and it's great. I'll check out the brand when I get back tonight, PM me if I forget!

Cherry
May 11th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I went to Canada a couple of years ago, and still have the occasional daydream about veggie Thai restaurant in Montreal called Chu Chai.
Mmmm.

Have attempted a couple of Thai recipes but most likely very far from anything authentic! www.parsleysoup.co.uk

acousticCORE123
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:58 AM
I had done some research into a vegetarian "fish sauce" and that it was rare to find outside vietnam.

Hey there, what was the name of that vegan fish sauce? I would love to check a vietnamese market here in NJ for it.

Yoggy
Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
Here is a very simple recipe for Thai rice noodles with soy sauce. I used to live in Thailand, and even though I was omni at the time, there were so many simple and delicious veggie dishes that I loved.

Rice Noodles with Soy Sauce (called "pat see yoo" in Thai)
1. Boil some dry large size rice stick noodles according to package directions, OR buy some already cooked large size rice stick.
2. Heat some vegetable or olive oil in a skillet on medium heat, and add the rice noodles.
3. Add some soy sauce and stir. Add enough sauce so that the noodles are light brown in colour, about 1-3 Tbsp (or to taste), depending on the amount of noodles.
4. Add some chopped broccoli florets and cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in a handful of bean sprouts and cook about 2 minutes, stirring, until they are hot and slightly tender.
6. Serve hot.

I like it simple like this, but you can change the vegetables, add cubed firm tofu and/or cook up some egg replacer in a pan, chop it up and add it with the bean sprouts. Here (http://www.pjchmiel.com/photo/food/joynoodle-ricestick.jpg) is a picture of what it looks like, only I prefer to use the very wide noodles (these are the medium size), and I don't put that many veggies into mine. But it's versatile, you can put whatever you like into it!

I love Thai food SO much, and luckily, since living in Thailand, I know enough of the language to make it clear in restaurants here that I don't eat meat, eggs, fish or fish/shrimp sauce.

Roxy
Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
I love spicy thai peanut sauce and could see myself making that recipe with peanut sauce instead of the soy.

Do you ever have a problem with your noodles sticking together when you go to stir-fry them after you have boiled them? I do :rolleyes:

Yoggy
Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
I've never had much of a problem with sticky noodles after boiling. I add kosher salt to the water, which seems to help, and I probably use too much oil when frying. But when I buy fresh noodles, they stick together a LOT. Usually I don't mind this, since I'm a fan of thick noodles anyway.

Roxy
Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I used to make Pad-Thai at home a lot, in my pre-vegan days. I used to have an awful problem with the rice noodles sticking together after I had boiled them and was trying to stir fry them. Perhaps it was because I didn't drain them/rinse them properly.

gicuzzi
Aug 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I have been searching the internet for a vegan thai peanut sauce recipe that would be very tasty on stirfries but every recipe I've found uses unusual ingredients, and since I'm a poor university student I can't afford to go out and buy all this stuff.

Do you guys have any good recipes which make use of fairly common (cheap) ingredients? Thanks!

Tofu Monster
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
right, let me see...

peanuts (about half a bag)
vinegar (a generous splash)
olive oil (2 tbsn)
tomato sauce (one squirt)
mustard (1 tspn)
chilli peppers (red hot)
weird thai spices (not much)
water (a bit)
red wine (2 mouthfulls)
salt (not too much)

i don't know if that's any good since i just made it up. but if you try it, let me know how it turns out. :)

AbFab
Aug 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I love your measurements, Tofu Monster. ;) And no, that was not a come one! :rolleyes:
How do you gauge the wine - take a mouthful and spit, and repeat? :confused: :p

Tofu Monster
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:13 PM
yeah, you take a mouthful then you spit it out, then you take another mouthful and spit that out as well. whatever you do, when you take a mouthful, don't swallow it!

(in the hands of anybody less tactful than me, this post could have had the potential to be rather distasteful. thank god i'm not like that.)

AbFab
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Paradoxically, the birds (feathered variety, Tofu Monster! http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/upload/crazy_chicken.gif) that are responsible for providing the spit that goes into Birds’ Nest Soup are a kind of swallow. How ironic is that? (And very distasteful!) http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/26.gif

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:19 AM
right, let me see...

peanuts (about half a bag)
vinegar (a generous splash)
olive oil (2 tbsn)
tomato sauce (one squirt)
mustard (1 tspn)
chilli peppers (red hot)
weird thai spices (not much)
water (a bit)
red wine (2 mouthfulls)
salt (not too much)

i don't know if that's any good since i just made it up. but if you try it, let me know how it turns out. :)

LMFAO - Tofu you are too funny! :D :D

my3labs
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Tofu...once again, you have made my day.

Steph
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
gicuzzi, don't know if this is considered thai,but is is very tasty and easy

Quick Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup peanut butter (microwave for a couple of seconds to soften)
1-2 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
fresh or ground ginger
2 Tbsp. vinegar, rice vinegar or cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or white)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 cup (or less!) hot water to thin out

Mix all ingredients together
Use with tofu and veggies too in stirfrys or whatever.

I also like to add a few drops of sesame oil, and chopped scallions, and chopped cilantro, if you have these.

I once made this over and mixed with diced cucumbers over speghetti-cold.
It was so good !!

gicuzzi
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM
They both sound yummilicious! I will have to do some experimentation! Thanks guys :)

Mr Flibble
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:51 AM
As with pasta, you can stop noodles from sticking whilst boiling by adding some oil to the water. If stir frying after it's good to cook them to al dente so they will finish cooking in the stir fry pan, as opposed to fully cooked and slightly mushy. Totally depends on the thickness and type of noodles/wrappers thou, I tend not to use wheat as opposed to rice out of choice.

Roxy
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Thank you Mr Flibble :)

maya
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Thai Pasta
4 ounces angel hair pasta
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon lemon peel seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Throw in pasta. Dont over cook pasta. Drain but don't rinse. Toss immediately with the 1 cup of coconut milk to prevent sticking. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Serve either hot or cold.

maya
Nov 10th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Sweet and Spicy Thai Stir Fry

2 green bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
2 small jalepeno peppers
snow peas
Spanish red onion or shallots
1 pkg Lo-mein noodles (thin yellow spaghetti like chinese noodles)
1 jar sweet red pepper Thai sauce
1/2 cup sweet plum sauce
soy sauce
bean sprouts

Slice the green peppers into 1/2" wide long strips. Dice all other peppers down to about 1/2" square. Slice ends from snow peas, otherwise leave them whole. Dice red onion or shallots smaller than the coloured peppers.

Run the lo-mein noodles under cold water in a collander for about 5 minutes to loosen.

In one stir-fry pan or wok add all peppers and snow peas (feel free to add any of your other favourite veggies to this wok as well). Add a bit of oil, about a tablespoon of soy sauce, and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the jar of Thai Sauce. Stir fry at med heat until the sauce has thickened slightly and the vegetables are well cooked.

In a second stir fry pan or wok add bean sprouts and lo- mein. Add a bit of oil, soy sauce, and just enough plum sauce to glaze the noodles and sprouts. Stir fry for about 5 - 7 minutes on med heat, until noodles are hot and sprouts have wilted. Serve veggies over noodles

puffin
Nov 10th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Maya, what are snow peas?