PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Thai Food

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM
A very sweet treat you'll absolutely love. Be sure to start with a mango that's nice and ripe, with a slight give to the touch. The flesh should be bright and yellow.

THAI SWEET STICKY RICE WITH MANGO
2 cups sticky rice
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ripe mangoes, cut into thick slices
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Prepare the 2 cups sticky rice as per instructions. While sticky rice is steaming, mix together 1.5 cups coconut milk, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool (for a more fancy preparation, you can strain the coconut milk in a cheesecloth before setting to cool, but this is not necessary). Immediately after sticky rice is cooked, and still hot, put it into the coconut sauce and stir together well. Cover for 1 hour and let cool.

Topping
Mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and the tapioca starch. Bring to a boil.

Put the sticky rice and mangoes on a serving dish. Pour the topping sauce over the sticky rice and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM
LYCHEE & GINGER ICE
1 can lychee in syrup
1 ounce fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Combine the lychee and syrup, the ginger and 3/4 cup of water in a blender or food processor and blend to a fine puree. Pour the pureed mixture into a 9-inch-square baking pan. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours. Break the iced mixture into chunks and process again until just slushy. Return to the pan and freeze until solid. Allow the mixture to soften slightly, about 5 minutes, before scooping into chilled dessert cups or champagne glasses. Serve, garnished with mint leaves, lychees and a light, crisp cookie, if desired.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM
more squash!!!!!

THAI PUMPKIN PUDDING
1 lb peeled pumpkin (about 2 cups after steaming)
1/2 cup white grated dried coconut
3 tablespoons coconut cream powder
1 cup rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
A few drops pandan essence (optional)
Start by mixing the coconut cream powder with 1 1/4 cups warm water, stir well and set aside. Cut the pumpkin into bite size pieces and steam until soft, i recommend the Chinese-style stacked steamer. Blend pumpkin with rice flour and tapioca starch, add sugar, half of the dried coconut, pandan essence (optional) and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix while adding the coconut cream a little at a time. Continue until sugar and coconut cream is dissolved. Pour mixture into a square pan 8 x 8 or use a pie pan. Sprinkle with the remaining dried coconut and 1/4 tsp salt. Put into the steamer and steam for 30 minutes. Remove, allow to cool, cut the pudding into pieces and enjoy!

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:47 AM
this is simple and delicious. my boyfriend really loves this one. you can buy the tapioca pearls in different colors and add different types of fruit chunks if you'd like to change it up a bit.

THAI TAPIOCA PEARLS WITH SWEET COCONUT MILK
1 cup small tapioca pearl
4.5 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut cream powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Boil 3 cups water in a saucepan. Rinse tapioca pearl to cleanse, then add to the boiling water and stir until the tapioca starts to turn translucent. Add sugar and stir. Remove from heat. In a separate saucepan, mix coconut cream powder with 1.5 cups warm/hot water. Stir well then put on stovetop at medium-high heat. Wait for boil, then remove from heat and cool for a few minutes. With a large spoon put about one cup tapioca in a serving bowl and gently cover with a few tablespoons of coconut milk (or more if you like). Garnish with sprig of mint (optional)

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:19 AM
VEGETARIAN PAD THAI
1 pound dried rice noodles
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup soy milk
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
cayenne pepper to taste
1 pound mung bean sprouts
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
1 lime, cut into wedges
Submerge the rice noodles in a large bowl of hot water for about an hour.
In a saucepan, mix together peanut oil, peanut butter, water, soy sauce, soy milk, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Season with garlic powder and paprika. Heat until sauce is smooth. Season liberally with cayenne pepper.
Drain noodles; noodles should be very flexible, but still relatively firm. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large saucepan or wok. Cook noodles in oil, stirring constantly, until they are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in peanut sauce, sprouts, carrots, scallions, and ground peanuts. Continue to cook over low heat until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately with raw cabbage and carrots on the side, garnished with lime wedges.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:36 AM
This recipe is a very simple and quick dish which you can prepare the night before or immediately before cooking. Recipe adapted from Thai Vegetarian Cooking, by Vatcharin Bhumichitr

VEGETARIAN FRIED TOFU WITH GARLIC AND BLACK PEPPER
3 cloves garlic, smash gently with the side of a knife or cleaver to peel
2-3 shallots, peeled
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 tblsp Thai soy sauce (Dragonfly brand) or Golden Mt. Seasoning sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
4 tblsp canola oil
8 oz firm tofu, cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 triangles(8 altogether)
Garnish: Cucumber slices, coriander leaves, tomatoes
In a mortar and pestle or electric coffee grinder(used only for spices, etc) pound or grind together garlic, shallots, and peppercorns to make a paste.
Remove to a small bowl. Add soy sauce and sugar and stir. Lay the tofu on a flat dish, cover with the mixture and allow to marinate 30 minutes or overnight.
Heat the oil in a skillet or wok, over medium heat, until hot, but do not allow to burn. Fry the tofu until golden brown. Turn on each side to brown evenly (including the cut edges). Drain and place on a serving dish.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:42 AM
this is absolutely my favorite thai dish. i have it for lunch with coconut-lime soup frequently.

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD
4c grated raw papaya
1c finely shredded cucumber and carrots
2T peanuts crushed
4 cherry tomatoes halved
4 whole fresh red chillies crushed
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1T vegetarian fish sauce (if available)
2T lemon juice
2T sugar
Combine the crushed garlic, peanuts, and red chillies in a bowl.
Toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Serve immediately topped with some more crushed peanuts and red chilli

catmogg
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Wow GG, you've really spoiled us with all the recipies. I'm gonna try making the pad thai. Thankyou.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM
RICE NOODLE SALAD

5 cloves garlic
1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons vegetarian fish sauce
1 (12 ounce) package dried rice noodles
2 carrots, julienned
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 leaves napa cabbage
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
4 sprigs fresh mint

Mince the garlic with the cilantro and the hot pepper. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the lime juice, fish sauce or salt and sugar; stir well. Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rice noodles; boil them for 2 minutes. Drain well. Rinse the noodles with cold water until they have cooled. Let them drain again.
Combine the sauce, noodles, carrots, cucumber, mint and Napa cabbage in a large serving bowl. Toss well and serve the salad garnished with the peanuts and mint sprigs.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
since vietnamese and thai food are so similar i thought this soup recipe would fit in well here.

VIETNAMESE CURRY SOUP

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 inch piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2 inch pieces
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 pound fried tofu, cut into bite-size pieces
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetarian fish sauce (optional)
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 kaffir lime leaves
8 small potatoes, quartered
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk

2 cups fresh bean sprouts, for garnish
8 sprigs fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish

Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion and shallots until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, ginger, lemon grass and curry powder. Cook for about 5 minutes, to release the flavors of the curry. Stir in green pepper, carrots, mushrooms and tofu. Pour in vegetable stock and water. Season with fish sauce and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then stir in potatoes and coconut milk. When soup returns to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 to 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Garnish each bowl with a pile of bean sprouts and cilantro.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
this appetizer is served cold with a hoisin-peanut dipping sauce.

SUMMER ROLLS

2 ounces vermicelli noodles
8 large round rice paper wrappers
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup cucumber, cut into thin strips to make 1/2 cup
1 medium carrot, shredded
8 2-3inch strips of head lettuce

Sauce:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 TB peanut butter
3 TB water

Make vermicelli according to package instructions, set aside.
Soften 1 rice paper wrapper by immersing in warm water until soft (about 10-20 sec), carefully remove and place flat on a large plate or cutting board.
Be careful not to let the paper fold on itself when removing the wrapper from the water.
Place 1 piece of lettuce in the middle of the wrapper, add 1/8 each of the vermicelli, cucumber, carrots, and sprouts. Roll rice paper as you would a taco, tucking in the sides, it should stick to itself easily. Repeat for the remaining 7 wrappers. Makes 8 rolls.
For the sauce, mix the ingredients until smooth. Sauce can be split into small bowls for each guest to dip rolls into.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
BAHN CAY (curried dumplings)

1 kg of cassava root peeled and grated finely (using cheese grater with smallest hole size).
1 level teaspoon of salt
2 table of sugar
1 table spoon of curry powder
1 chilly chopped (optional)

Mix the ingredients together. Take spoonfuls of the mixture and form into balls about 2cm in diameter. Deep fry the balls and serve it in a bed of lettuce as a snack or with main course.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS

10 dried rice papers (8 inches in diameter)
vegetable oil for deep-frying

for the filling:
1/2c dried mung beans, soaked overnight
2oz firm tofu, chopped
1c finely chopped taro root
1/2oz dried chinese mushroom, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes, then minced
pinch of sugar
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper

to serve:
sprigs of fresh herbs such as basil, thai basil, cilantro, and mint
english cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
green (unripe) banana and green (unripe) starfruit, thinly sliced
leaves of mustard greens and/or lettuce

cook the mung beans in fresh water to cover for about 20 minutes or until soft. drain. combine the mung beans, tofu, taro, and mushrooms. add the sugar and 1/2t each salt and pepper and mix together well.
soften each rice paper by brushing lightly with warm water on both sides and leaving for about 20 seconds. using scissors, cut each paper in half. then, with the straight edge of the paper at the bottom, place a generous teaspoon of filling at the center of each rice paper half. wrap the sides over, then roll up tightly from the bottom, squashing the filling into all corners. use a little water to seal the roll, if necessary.
deep fry the rolls until golden brown on all sides. serve wrapped with sprigs of herbs and slices of cucumber, green banana, and starfruit inside the green leaves, dipping in nuoc cham before eating.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM
NUOC CHAM DIPPING SAUCE

1T vegetarian fish sauce
3T lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh hot red chili, minced
1/2t sugar

mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and serve. garnish with green onion slices, if desired.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
BRAISED STRAW MUSHROOMS IN CLAYPOT

vegetable oil for cooking
2 garlic cloves, minced
8oz fresh or canned straw mushrooms
1/4c soy sauce
2T sugar
1t each sea salt and fresh black pepper

heat a little oil in a claypot or heavy-bottomed pan and soften the garlic. add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. add the rest of the ingredients. cover and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM
VERMICELLI WITH SHALLOTS

8oz rice vermicelli
8 shallots, thinly sliced
vegetable oil for deep frying
sprigs of cilantro

cook the vermicelli in boiling water until al dente. meanwhile, deep-fry the shallots in hot oil until golden brown. drain on paper towels. drain the vermicelli, scatter the shallots over the top, and garnish with cilantro. bring to the table immediately.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 05:59 PM
OKRA WITH SHALLOTS

6 shallots, thinly sliced
8oz okra
soy sauce to serve

deep-fry the thinly sliced shallots in hot oil until golden brown. drain on paper towels. cook the okra whole in a little water in a covered pan for about 5 minutes or until tender. drain. top with the deep-fried shallots and serve dipped into soy sauce.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
DEEP-FRIED BEAN CURD WITH LEMONGRASS

1lb firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4c minced fresh lemongrass
2 fresh hot red chilies, minced
vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 garlic cloves, minced

drain the tofu cubes on paper towels. mix together the lemongrass, chilies, and salt. gently toss with the tofu, then cover and leave for 30 minutes to blend the flavors. deep-fry the tofu in hot oil for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown all over. drain on paper towels and keep warm. stir the garlic into the remaining lemongrass mixture. saute the mixture in a little hot oil until the lemongrass is golden. pile on top of the tofu and serve immediately.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
STEWED BEANCURD WITH TOMATO AND EGGPLANT

1lb firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, roughly chopped
1lb tomatoes, roughly chopped
12oz asian eggplants, cut across into 1/2 inch slices
1T vegetarian fish sauce
1/2t sugar

drain the tofu on paper towels, then deep fry until golden brown all over (about 10 minutes). drain well and set aside. saute the onion in a little hot oil until beginning to soften. add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down into a pulp, stirring frequently. add the eggplants, veg. fish sauce, and sugar and stir well. cover the pan and cook until the eggplant slices are soft. add the tofu and warm through, then serve.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM
GREEN MANGO SALAD

2 green mangoes
1 fresh hot red chili, thinly sliced
1T minced fresh Thai basil
1t vegetarian fish sauce

peel the mangoes, then cut them into long thin shreds. to do this use a sharp knife, cut into the flesh repeatedly from top to bottom, then thinly shave off the flesh. combine all the ingredients, and serve immediately.

Yoggy
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I've been addicted to Thai (and other Asian) food lately! I can't believe that when I lived in Thailand I got so sick of the food (rice particularly) that I didn't touch it for over a year after I got back to Canada! Now I can't get enough of it!

GG, your recipes look great, I may give the Stewed Beancurd one a try this weekend :D

seviya
May 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
GoodbyeGirl, on page 3 you said you often had the Green Papaya Salad with Coconut-Lime soup - would you happen to have a recipe for that soup? It sounds delicious!!! (coconut + lime = two of my most favorite things)

Thank you for sharing all these recipes with us!! I luurrrve Thai . . .

p.s. I now have that "you put the lime in the co-co-nut" song going through my head . . .

veggiesosage
May 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Where can you get vegetarian fish sauce in the UK?

Jane M
May 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Vegetarian Stir Fry Oyster Sauce

1 mushroom broth cube
1/2 cup boiling water
2 T brown bean sauce
1 generous T dark unbleached sugar
1 t cornstarch dissolved in 1 t cold water
METHOD Dissolve the broth cube in the boiling water. Mix with the brown bean sauce and sugar, and heat to boiling. Add the dissolved cornstarch and stir until thickened. Cool and store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

I don't know if this is any good...I buy mine from Food Fight. That's quite a ways from you though.

veggiesosage
May 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I've found vegetarian oyster sauce in the UK before. I always presumed that fish sauce and oyster sauce are very different though but have never tried the originals.