PDA

View Full Version : Cake Mistake

Pages : [1] 2

Tigerlily
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I baked a cake today and I was all excited. When the cake was cooled down and removed from the pan, I noticed it was a little on the thin side. I didn't think much of it, I just thought it was thin because I used a large, long pan.

After icing it and decorating it, and noticed the box of egg replacer said "1 tsp egg replacer with 2 tbsp water." You know what I did? I put 1 tsp egg replacer and 2 tsp water. GRRR.

My cake still tastes okay but it's too dense and slightly chewy.

God, I'm mad! I ALWAYS ruin everything I bake. EVERYTHING I ever baked got ruined. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RubyDuby
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM
its ok, you just made brownies by accident. nothing wrong with that!

Tigerlily
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
They don't taste like brownies. It's a vanilla cake with "buttery" icing.

RubyDuby
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
errr, blondies then I suppose... sorry, I was stuck on choccy cake answer from the Ask Game :o

Tigerlily
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
:( I hate how stupid I am. All I wanted was cake, not dense shit.

veggiesosage
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Thats one of those tiny mistake = disproportionate consequences things isn't it? Its so unfair that mix up teaspoons = no cake for you.

Hope you get over your lack of cakey goodness problems Tiger.:D

tabitha
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Oh Poor Tigerlily, bless her heart. Quick! someone make her a cake and run it round!. Veggie - you could do with the exercise! - bake up and get jogging....

veggiesosage
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'd have to do a spot of ocean swimming to whilst keeping a cake dry. No problem!

Resisting eating it along the way? erm...

Tigerlily
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Atleast the icing is delicious. Thick, creamy, buttery icing with rainbow sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. :p

lozza
May 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
ach dont worry..my cakes always go wrong.

thats the fun of making. you get to try again & again :)

absentmindedfan
May 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
As a relatively good cook I always get told that people 'can't bake'. It must be one of the most common things I hear regarding cooking.
Baking is chemistry, you *have* to get the measurements right and the oven up to temperature beforehand. If necessary read through the ingredients and recipe a few times, have all your ingredients assembled in front of you and then slowly work your way through.
But hey, even a sunken cake tastes cook covered in icing, so its not all bad.

Oh yeah, and sometimes a baked good *will* go wrong. It just happens so swear, let it go and try again a few days later. I find 'bad baking days' are a part of life and the best solution is to avoid baking on that day and have a drink instead!

Mr Flibble
May 4th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I agree with the above comments. Cooking can be artistic but basically it's logical and science based - hence why as a complete geek I'm interested in it. Confectionary making is the ultimate in terms of having to be absolutely scrupulous in terms of measurements and temperatures (particularly tempering and sucrose caramalisation), quickly followed by bread and yeast based stuff. Baking is a little more relaxed, you can use 20% more or less of an ingredient and get away with it, but the same basic principles remain. As it happens egg replacer is completely unnessecary in baking. The egg marketting board or whoever they are have done an amazing job of convincing the population that eggs are needed and as such people who turn vegan seek out direct replacements. Infact all that cakes are is flour, sugar and fat bound together somehow and airiated. If you want some cake recipes which work great and don't use commercial egg replacer at all then take a looksie at Cherry's site (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/MainPages/vegan_cakes.htm).

RedWellies
May 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM
est solution is to avoid baking on that day and have a drink instead!
I think that means I'm an alcoholic.

Tigerlily
May 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I agree with the above comments. Cooking can be artistic but basically it's logical and science based - hence why as a complete geek I'm interested in it. Confectionary making is the ultimate in terms of having to be absolutely scrupulous in terms of measurements and temperatures (particularly tempering and sucrose caramalisation), quickly followed by bread and yeast based stuff. Baking is a little more relaxed, you can use 20% more or less of an ingredient and get away with it, but the same basic principles remain. As it happens egg replacer is completely unnessecary in baking. The egg marketting board or whoever they are have done an amazing job of convincing the population that eggs are needed and as such people who turn vegan seek out direct replacements. Infact all that cakes are is flour, sugar and fat bound together somehow and airiated. If you want some cake recipes which work great and don't use commercial egg replacer at all then take a looksie at Cherry's site (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/MainPages/vegan_cakes.htm).

:o Too late. I just spent 6 dollars on a box of powdered egg replacer.

xwitchymagicx
May 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I've given up on making anything that rises I'm gonna stick to cheesecakes and biscuits from now on. :rolleyes:

Tigerlily
May 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hahaha.. I haven't made a vegan cheesecake yet. I tried one at a vegetarian restaurant in Halifax but it wasn't very cheesecakey (but delicious nonetheless).

Troutina
May 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hahaha.. I haven't made a vegan cheesecake yet. I tried one at a vegetarian restaurant in Halifax but it wasn't very cheesecakey (but delicious nonetheless).

I haven't either- I'm too nervous to!
I don't think I've even tried any vegan cheesecake.

Tigerlily
May 10th, 2006, 03:40 PM
There's some that are made with tofu and others that are made with fake cream cheese. Considering how yummy and 'realistic' the fake cream cheese stuff is, it might make for a delicious cheesecake.

Cherry
May 10th, 2006, 08:46 PM
It does :) Go for it Tigerlily

Wildflower
May 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Tigerlilly - why did you use a long, thin pan? Was that the size the recipe called for?

Pan size is very important in baking. You need to adjust temp and/or cooking time if you change the pan size.

Just a thought...

TofuFooYung
May 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
A great replacement for egg is vegan fruity yogurt... makes the coolest spongey muffins with little bubbles in just like a dairy cake!

Tigerlily
May 12th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Tigerlilly - why did you use a long, thin pan? Was that the size the recipe called for?

Pan size is very important in baking. You need to adjust temp and/or cooking time if you change the pan size.

Just a thought...

The only pan we had.

poppy seed
May 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
:( I hate how stupid I am. All I wanted was cake, not dense shit.

I love dense shit - especially if it's sweet, dense shit. Slide the pan of dense shit over here, and you go try again! :D

Tigerlily
May 12th, 2006, 03:47 AM
It's too expensive to try again any time soon but I ate it all. Too late.

poppy seed
May 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM
So it was edible?!? Then it was a success! It was a very large, frosted, somewhat dense...pancake...? Perfect this technique, Tigerlily, and perhaps you will have your own show on the Food Network (ahhhh, vegan dreams....!)