PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B12 & coffee

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Stu
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Uh... Oh yeah, I suppose the B-12 forum would be a sensible place to read about B-12, eh? Now why didn't I think of that?

milly
Mar 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM
i love coffee. but i try to only drink it when i really need a pick me up. kinda like right now, i think i will go brew some

Mystic
Mar 21st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Does anyone else have this problem?
When I consume chocolate/cocoa products, coffee or tea, I get these symptoms:
- mild - severe anxiety attacks
- the jitters
- insomnia
- hyperactivity
- hypoglycemia (which I have anyway, but is triggered by caffiene)

snivelingchild
Mar 21st, 2005, 10:25 AM
I have felt most of those symptoms from caffine, but only back when I used to drink something called Bawlz all the time (a drink that has about as much caffine as four cups of coffee in one 8 oz. bottle), but that was a great deal of caffine. Perhaps you are just more sensitive to it.
Do you really experience that from chocolate? Because I think there's only a small amount of caffine in it. I stopped all my caffine intake except for occasional chocolate, but I never feel caffine effects from it.

veganblue
Mar 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM
- the jitters
- insomnia
- hyperactivity

I get something called 'restless legs' which is a nervous-ish condition that doesn't make you move but jsut makes your legs feel...edgy...like you can't get comfortable no matter what, but moving doesn't help.

I *used* to get caffeine accellerated anxiety but somehow it doesn't affect me any more since the meditation course :confused: but it's a good thing :)

I drink load of espresso coffee and never instant coffee (eeuw - unless there is an emergency) but have a rule of thumb that it is never after 4pm - otherwise sleeping can be distrurbed.

Maybe if you ate dates with the coffee and boosted your blood sugar?

celtic rose
Mar 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
I've recently discovered caffiene is a trigger for my IBS.

Herbal tea only now.

Gorilla
Mar 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
i have a moderate caffeine intolerance - if i drink more than one or two cups of coffee a day i get palpitations and panic attacks, and sometimes stomach ache. i never drink caffeinated drinks after midday to avoid trouble sleeping. i don't usually eat too much chocolate at a time so it doesn't affect me in this way.

i mostly drink herbal tea now too :)

Andie
Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
My husband, an omni not that that matters in this discussion, gets really "high" off caffiene whether it's tea, coffee or chocolate. He'll talk and talk and get on my nerves :-) He always thinks he's having a heart attack and I have to remind him that it's the caffiene.

cedarblue
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
due to a long term avoidance of caffeine, i cannot now tolerate it in any form.
like gorilla it can spike a panic/anxiety reaction in me.

who needs it? - not me :D

Geoff
Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
- the jitters
- insomnia
- hyperactivity

I get most of those symptoms if I DON'T drink coffee! :)

Tao
Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
- the jitters
- insomnia
- hyperactivity

Posts like these make me wonder why people drink coffee! :D

veganblue
Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:54 AM

...I tried... life wasn't better without it! Sad, but in my case, true... :p

Mystic
Mar 24th, 2005, 02:08 AM

I don't drink coffee

Tigerlily
Apr 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Does caffeine hurt the nutrients in foods?

I like to warm some soymilk and add French Vanilla instant coffee to it for a "cappucino" taste. Sometimes I like to drink normal black tea in the mornings with breakfast. Am I harming my nutrient in take?

I don't drink soy milk plain (very rarely) and I don't really like leafy green veggies (*GASP*), so I kinda do rely on it for a lot of calcium and one of the ways I like to get my soy milk is through my little cappucinos I make.

Is this bad?

Kiva Dancer
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I've read it does.

It hurts the B vitamins especially (including the ever-important B12) but I can't find my source for this.

slightly OT - You don't like any leafy green veggies? None at all?

Tigerlily
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Seriously. I find them either way to bland or too strong and "grassy" tasting. Sometimes my mom sautees endives with onions but she boils them first and I know that boiling ruins the nutrients.

Even in salads. I normally go green free. Just tomatoes, cucumbers, grated carrots, green and red peppers, raddishes, and lots of herbs and dressings.

aubergine
Jul 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I'm now 100% caffiene free and feel so much better. Now I'm awake all the time :)

However, I used to drink around ten cups of tea or coffee a day. The withdrawal symptoms were like that scene in 'Trainspotting.'

DianeVegan
Jul 5th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Oh no, Trainspotting!?! This thread just about had me ready to give up coffee until I read that. I don't think I could survive anything which occurred in that movie - definitely some of the most memorable scenes of all time.

ChocolatBlanc
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I can't believe how some of the teens my age are so used to drinking coffee. Kinda worries me. Does anyone know if daily (or even occasional) coffee is worse in any way for young people? :(

FR
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
That is some good iformation you all posted. I am wondering about organic, decaffinated tea. Is it bad?

aubergine
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
That is some good iformation you all posted. I am wondering about organic, decaffinated tea. Is it bad?

I wouldn't have thought so. I drink alot more fesh juice now, but I have maybe one or two cups of decaf tea or coffee and now I don't get terrible headaches.

foxytina_69
Jul 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM
i, like tigerlily, can only drink plain soymilk if i mix it with something. (smoothies, or decaf coffee) is it unhealthy to consume 1/4 cup of decaf coffee once in a while? i like to mix it with a cup of plain soymilk, a little vanilla, a little maple syrup (or stevia) and ice and make an icecapp :)

eve
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well I love coffee though I'm not drinking it all day, just a cup some mornings, and it is delicious. I'm pretty sure it's not doing me any harm. When out with friends, I have a soyaccino, and they make it so much tastier than mine turns out at home. Occasionally I have a cup of delicious Rooibos tea.

Zool
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
The only "healthy" way to take in coffee is in an enema. It's very cleansing.

This just made my day. After reading this I think if I ever started a band I'd have to name it "Coffee Enema". :D

eve
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
In today's newspaper there's an extract from an article in the JAMA (Journal of American Medical Assn) that states:

"Coffee addicts have something to feel good about - habitual coffee drinking is associated with a much lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. A review of 15 previous studies, involving nearly 200,000 participants, found that drinking at least 6 or 7 cups of coffee per day, cut type 2 diabetes risk by 35 percent."

The authors said longer-term studies were warranted to find out what caused the association.

I drink very little coffee, should I increase my drinking to 6 cups a day? :D