PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B12 & coffee

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

eve
Jul 20th, 2005, 08:22 AM
I've just put a link at Vegan Voice to a coffee site though I don't know if it is Amerian or English. But after an exchange of emails, decided to exchange links with them. Check it out here: http://www.coffeecaffeine.com/coffees/freetradeorganic.html

andesuma
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:14 AM
What are your opinions on the consumption of coffee?
(organic and fair-trade, of course!)

I have never been a big drinker of coffee, but lately my consumption
has been increasing, I usually try and stop for a month or two so I dont
feel so dependent on the stuff...
I know moderation of anything, is a good thing.

But, I read this article recently...
http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/coffee090305.cfm

I am a bit confused, because articles in the past I've read, have
always been indifferent, or inconclusive of the daily consumption of coffee..
and I've also heard it depleats your body of nutrients...

What do you think??

veganblue
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I think that the occasional coffee is fine, but since I tend to use it too much it is better for me to not have it except on the rarest of occasions.

There are numerous reports quoting both the health benefits or otherwise of coffee; but considering so many people around the world drink it - I would stick to the idea of moderation.

DianeVegan
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I drink it everyday - black - fair trade - organic - non-corporate one person roasting company.

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
I here it speads metabloism and enhances fat-burning??? sometimes i drink it black with two sugarine tablets

Stu
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:18 AM
[Late-night drunken post alert!]:

I would never even dream of drinking coffee or tea. Of course, it's a part of everyday life for most people here in Britain. But so is eating animals.

If you want to drink these things, go ahead! It won't have a MASSIVE impact on your life. But it's certainly unhealthy.

As a general rule, when you consume products that purport to give you an "energy burst", they have to get that additional energy from somewhere. And that source tends to be your body's natural "backup supply" of energy.

So when you use up such energy, you need to somehow get it back. So if you consume coffee or tea every day, it may be a long time before your body can regain its natural energy supply.

mophoto
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:18 AM
coffee gives me panic attacks:(

abrennan
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I'm with Stu. Latley there has been some press saying that coffee contains some compounds that are beneficial but overall it strips your body of nutrients, and is massivley acidic which is bad for you. Once in a while it won't hurt you but best not to have it. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions it can exacerbate them. You eczema people stay away from it. That's why I don't drink it.

I guess the other issue is what people have already noted it depends where it comes from. Most countries and peoples who produce it are significantly ripped off in virtual slavery, like cocoa production. I don't like that either.

Antony coffee free and holding:p

tigerbabe
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
How about normal versus decaf?

abrennan
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
you teaser:)

DianeVegan
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
All this coffee talk. I am now going downstairs to brew a fresh pot of shade-grown, organic, family owned beans roasted by a little non-corporate business. With all the caffeine, of course.

I'll be back soon, typing faster. ;)

Gliondrach
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I rarely have coffee. I'm a tea drinker - 6 or 7 cups a day. Tea is an elixir of youth and health. I, too, have seen reports of the benefits of coffee but, as others have said, you have to weigh the benefits against the dangers.

Strangely, I can drink coffee last thing at night and then sleep like a baby.

I don't mean that I sleep in a nappy. Just that I have a sound sleep. This is more to do with the fact that I have a clear conscience.

VeganJohn
Sep 10th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I avoid caffeinated coffee and tea like the plague, although I drink decaf, mainly tea though. If I have more than one cup of coffee I get really jittery and anxious and can often develop headaches.

Stu
Sep 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Someone once told me that tea has more caffeine than coffee. And he was a well-informed health nut. Still, it might be bollocks.

Skajen
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM
i suffered from bad anxiety and insomnia during my exams and didn't realise coffee could trigger this i was drinking LOTS of VERY strong coffee, not suprising huh?

x

Gliondrach
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Insomnia is usually the sign of a guilty conscience. Anxiety is usually the sign of a guilty conscience.

Stormypagan
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I don't really like coffee apart from the occassional 'push down plunger' coffee <how posh> but even then I have it rarely. I like proper tea (all proper tea ia theft an old anarchist saying hehehe), green tea or herbal tea (peppermint being my fav). Also rooibosch is rather groovy like normal tea without the caffine!!

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Roxy
Sep 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I drink coffee on a daily basis too. Usually 1 or sometimes 2 cups in the morning. It's the coffee-pot kind where the water runs through the coffee and drips into the pot below.

It's always organic free-trade coffee and I don't mind paying the extra expense for it.

abrennan
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Also rooibosch is rather groovy like normal tea without the caffine!!

you should look this up, it's a powerful antioxident and contains many trace elements ,it's like a superfood in a cup of tea. it's originally from south africa, very alkaline too.:D

eve
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Rooibos is the only tea I drink, but not often. It grows naturally without caffeine, unlike other drinks that have chemicals added to get rid of the caffeine.

Skajen
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Insomnia is usually the sign of a guilty conscience. Anxiety is usually the sign of a guilty conscience.

is it? oh right..... :p well no...this was just plan old exam stress and problems at home, so no not guilty conscience! ;)

kriz
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I drink coffee on a daily basis too. Usually 1 or sometimes 2 cups in the morning. It's the coffee-pot kind where the water runs through the coffee and drips into the pot below.

It's always organic free-trade coffee and I don't mind paying the extra expense for it.

Just like me, Roxy - 1 to 2 cups a day. I love coffee!
:)

abrennan
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Rooibos is the only tea I drink, but not often. It grows naturally without caffeine, unlike other drinks that have chemicals added to get rid of the caffeine.

I came across it when i wass looking into foods that would reduce the acidity in the body. when i read the known effects of it i thought i'd better give it a go. then a lady i work with gave me some. she's froum south africa, of indian extraction. it's not to bad, what do you think Eve. i gave up coffee completely earlier this year.

coconut
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I drank three cups of tea and one coffee yesterday which is a lot for me. It made me feel a bit sick :( Too much and I feel nervous and get a headache. I do have some really nice organic fairtrade coffee but I never have more than one cup of that a day. I think I read somewhere that coffee production is having a terrible effect on the environment in South America/South East Asia. Tons of coffee husks clogging the rivers etc. Maybe I'll give up coffee after I finish this packet.

FestiveF
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I LOVE COFFEE! That being said, I generally feel better when I am not drinking it as often. I got better about only haveing it once or twice a week over the summer but now I have a cup almost every day. At one point last year, I was drinking so much coffee that I would wake up and have a huge headache until I had my coffee....that just isn't healthy. So as much as I love my coffee, I definitely DO feel that it is not the best thing for your body and will try to cut down on the usage of it if I can....we'll see. Taking 20 credit hours and working 15-20 hours in a psych sleep lab aren't helping with this.... :p