PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B12 & coffee

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

andesuma
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Someone once told me that tea has more caffeine than coffee. And he was a well-informed health nut. Still, it might be bollocks.

an 8 oz. cup of tea contains about 20-50mg of caffeine(depending on the tea, added ingredients, etc.)

an 8 oz. cup of coffee contains about 90-120mg of caffeine (I've read even up to 150mg can be found, not sure on the exacts though..)

coffee definitely has more caffeine.

DianeVegan
Sep 17th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I think you also get more caffeine from tea by allowing it to steep longer.

soylatte_au
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
I only drink decaf a couple of times a week from cafes. I have fibromyalgia, and caffeine really does me no favours. The rest of the time I drink only water.

Roxy
Sep 18th, 2005, 04:10 AM
I think you also get more caffeine from tea by allowing it to steep longer.

I wonder if brewing loose leaf tea in a pot would produce more caffeine than brewing a tea bag? Probably note - but I'm just wondering.

Wildflower
Sep 18th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I used to have this theory that caffiene may one day be outlawed due to all I hear about what it does to people.

But really, it doesn't do any more to me than having a slight diruetic effect.

I go on and off with coffee. I will go months without coffee, than drink it every weekday morning. I really like coffee.

I think the caffiene depends on the roast and the way it is prepared. I know darker roasts actually have less caffiene, as does espresso (as the grounds do not steep as long).

I make my coffee in one of those "posh pots with the plunger". :D I call it a french press! :p

I also drink the occasional cup of black tea and green tea during the day at work.

Jacqui
Sep 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Love my coffee. Real though, never instant, and only during the day. Tea at night.

mophoto
Sep 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Insomnia is usually the sign of a guilty conscience. Anxiety is usually the sign of a guilty conscience.

i am screwed!!

not from the uk so i don't know much about tea:) - i drink it iced every morning but are the leaves naturally caffinated? if not why do they add caffine? if so, how do they make it that way?

Gliondrach
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Yes, tea has caffeine. As far as I know, no one adds caffeine to tea. Ceylon tea is supposed to be lower in caffeine than other types.

Gliondrach
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I only drink decaf a couple of times a week from cafes. I have fibromyalgia, and caffeine really does me no favours. The rest of the time I drink only water.

I was reading the other day about magnesium malate. This is a combination of magnesium and malic acid. It is used by people who want to increase their strength but there was reference to it being used to relieve the pain of fibromyalgia.

Roxy
Sep 19th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Yes, tea has caffeine. As far as I know, no one adds caffeine to tea. Ceylon tea is supposed to be lower in caffeine than other types.

If I have tea at night, I try to make it a herbal tea (such as peppermint) to avoid the caffeine.

maya
Sep 19th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Coffee is one of the only things that keeps me sane.

tipsy
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM
How about normal versus decaf?
unless a coffee is quoted organic decaf, it has been decafinated with chemicals...

ICK! :eek:

tipsy
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Someone once told me that tea has more caffeine than coffee. And he was a well-informed health nut. Still, it might be bollocks.

its bullocks!

i managed a coffee & tea shop for more than 4 years!

black tea has 1/3 to 1/2 (at very very most) the caffine in coffee... and black tea is the highest...

celons, green teas, and white teas are way below (1/8 to 1/4 the caffine in coffee).

Seaside
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:29 AM
No, Stu is right. By dry weight, tea has more caffeine than coffee. But the brewing methods for each are different, so the coffee beverage ends up with more caffeine in it than the tea beverage does. The caffeine from coffee is more easily absorbed by the body, too. :)

soylatte_au
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I was reading the other day about magnesium malate. This is a combination of magnesium and malic acid. It is used by people who want to increase their strength but there was reference to it being used to relieve the pain of fibromyalgia.

Thanks for the info! Fortunately I don't have so much pain anymore. A combination of diet/vitamins and exercise have helped me to reduce it greatly. It's tricky finding the right balance.

abrennan
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Does Tea Contain More Caffeine Than Coffee? (http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm)

click the above link for the web site I found this at

While coffee and tea are both sources of caffeine, the amounts of caffeine in any single serving of these beverages varies significantly. An average serving of coffee contains the most caffeine, yet the same serving size of tea provides only 1/2 to 1/3 as much.(Ref.: Caffeine by The Institute of Food Technologists' Expert Panel on Food Safety & Nutrition.) One of the more confusing aspects of caffeine content is the fact that coffee contains less caffeine than tea when measured in its dry form. The caffeine content of a prepared cup of coffee is significantly higher than the caffeine content of a prepared cup of tea.

There is also this link

http://ask.yahoo.com/19991108.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

that has a picture of the molecular structure of caffeine, how bout that.

So dry the tea wins buut wet the coffee wins

I think this thread should be re-named to Coffee... Bad or Worse??

Ant:D ny

Mr Flibble
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Coffee is great, but I don't drink it for the caffeine. Caffeine makes me sleepy, sluggish and headachey if i have too much. I only drink espresso based coffee (americano, lattes etc) and despise filter and instant. I've done loads of research (too many hours) into acquiring a good espresso machine, but ultimately I don't think I want to start drinking coffee too much. Although it works out more expensive if you do it every day (which I don't), I actually quite like going out for a coffee to the Italian deli at the end of my road. They do fairtrade/organic stuff already anyway.

tipsy
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:32 PM
No, Stu is right. By dry weight, tea has more caffeine than coffee. But the brewing methods for each are different, so the coffee beverage ends up with more caffeine in it than the tea beverage does. The caffeine from coffee is more easily absorbed by the body, too. :)

i was talking about prepared coffee and tea seaside! :D

of course by dry wieght tea has more caffinne that coffee... a pound of coffee is like 25-35 cups of strong coffee

a pound of tea can make about 300 cups of tea...

xwitchymagicx
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I can't drink coffee without getting sick

rxseeeyse
May 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I stop to drink either tea or cofeee recently, dunno how I stand them before, caffeine tastes so bad!
but I'm in favor of herbal tea :D

Cricket24
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
The first time I had coffee was probably in the womb. o.0
Then when I was younger, my mom would sometimes let me have the last sugary sip of her coffee.

My friends and I, in high school, used to hang out in a coffee shop, so I probably had about one cup every week or two for about a year. But then I admitted to myself that I didn't like the taste (unless I dumped tons of sugar into it) or the way it made me feel (jittery, etc.) so I stopped drinking it. Which was easy because I never relied on it to wake up or anything.

I'm trying to cut out unnecessary junk from my diet. I'm also trying to not end up a coffee junkie like my parents and grandma who have at least three cups every morning! I try not to rely on anything if I don't need to because there's a history of various kinds of addictions in my family (coffee, cigarettes, alcohol).

Now I have the added worry of B12 deficiency if I drink too much coffee or caffeinated tea... So I just won't bother with those things.

Kimberlily1983
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I don't drink coffee, but I occasionally take a little sip of my partner's coffee! I used to hate it, now I find it's not so bad.

I love tea, on the other hand, except now that I'm vegan I find I rarely drink it. I know tea can interfere with mineral absorption (iron), so I tend to avoid it when I'm having mineral-rich foods. I used to eat fruit and drink tea for my afternoon snack, but lately I've been finding myself including protein-rich, mineral-rich foods like almond butter and blackstrap molasses on toast with this - as well as all other - meals/snacks, so I skip the tea to ensure better absorption. I don't really miss it, though. I still have lots of tea, will enjoy it as a treat from time to time. :)

jimmeh
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The first time I had coffee was probably in the womb. o.0
Then when I was younger, my mom would sometimes let me have the last sugary sip of her coffee.

I find that Europe and the US differ greatly on their attitude to coffee. Most Americans I've spoken to are usually morally opposed to the idea of giving children coffee, treating it as a very potent drug. However, most Europeans (UK included) have no qualms about this. I grew up drinking lukewarm coffee from a beaker. I find that it doesn't have much effect on me now, which is why I rarely drink it.

patientia
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Those same Americans that give their children coke? :rolleyes:

Cricket24
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Those same Americans that give their children coke? :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean! I used to work at a movie theater and I saw parents buying their children (even small ones) pop all the time. One time that I saw a kid young enough to be in a stroller (maybe four or five?) and he had his own bottle of Coke! Aside from the negative health effects of pop, why would any parents want their kids that hyped up on sugar and caffeine?! :confused: Oh well, maybe I'll understand whenever I'm a parent, but hopefully not.