PDA

View Full Version : Metallic aftertaste: Why?

Tigerlily
May 1st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Can anyone think of a reason why all my baked goods have a metallic aftertaste?

Pretty much everything I ever baked has a weird aftertaste, sort of like a metallic aftertase.

:confused:

feral
May 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Could you be leaving oven cleaner residue after you've cleaned? What type of oven tray do you use, is it metal?

Tigerlily
May 1st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah, my oven tray is metal (aren't they all?). I don't know about the oven cleaner, I never cleaned the oven before and I have no idea how my mom does it.

DoveInGreyClothing
May 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Do you have a cold? Catarrh can make things taste metallicy.

feral
May 1st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well some have a non-stick coating, some are enamel (my preference) and some are aluminum (satin's metal!) the latter is more likely to leave a metallic taste I'd say.

sugarmouse
May 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
youre not pregnant are you?!i have heard this can cause a metallic aftertaste in some foods.
artificial sweeteners can but i dont thinkyou use those do you?i thought u had said you didnt use them,in another post a while ago.
other than that, it is a symtom of many illnesses you arent feeling a bit under the weather are you?this could cause it..unless it persists for a while i wouldnt worry.

poppy seed
May 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
Iron supplements can give you a metallic taste - have you changed vitamins recently?

Tigerlily
May 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
I think my baking wear have non-stick coating but I didn't buy it, so I'm not sure.

I don't have a cold, an illness, and I'm definelty not pregnant (!). I didn't change vitamins recently and I had this problem last year too when I baked. Oh, and I don't use artificial sweetners.

Maybe just my mouth is weird?

Wildflower
May 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM
Is your bakeware cast iron? (ie - really, really heavy)

To see if it is your bakeware, try lining the pans next time with wax paper or parchment paper.

Could it be your water?

Ask your mom about the oven, but if it needs to be cleaned, it usually makes everything tastes greasy/dirty.

You can buy stone bakeware, glass and silicone. you don't have to use metal bakeware, but you may need to adjust times. Glass expecially says too, I am not sure about stone or silicone.

Pob
May 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
Enamel bakeware is good, too (metal covered in glass enamel).

What sort of baking are you doing? Are you using baking powder? Could it have aluminium in it? Are you using aluminium foil? Just a thought.

Tigerlily
May 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
My two cakes I baked had a weird metallic taste. One cake used baking soda/powder/both (I don't remember) and the other one had an egg replacer powder. My cookies turned out...good but still weird. And my date squares were fine, but there's not much "chemistry" going on to bake those since most is done over the stove (baking just to brown it and such).

Wildflower, it's not cast iron, I don't think. They are very light. I'm probably not going to buy my own bakewear since I barely bake and I'm moving out soon but I'll look into better options when I get my own place.

aubergine
May 2nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Is there a nuclear leak near you?

Tigerlily
May 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
I don't think so. This only happens with my baked stuff, actually. But then again, I never baked anything since becoming vegan and my mom doesn't bake. So I don't know if it would still be metallicy with my mom's baked stuff.

FR
May 2nd, 2006, 02:11 AM
I use Pyryx glass bakeware and it does not leave an aftertaste at all. Although the pizza sheet I use is metal, but I don't get an aftertaste with that either. Where are you getting the recipes?

Tigerlily
May 2nd, 2006, 02:16 AM
How It All Vegan cookbok
And one of the cakes was a from a box (used egg replacer)