PDA

View Full Version : mcdonalds

yum
May 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM
out of interest can someone please tell me about mcdonalds and there policies or lack of. When i go out with my friends we end up in mcdonalds for lunch and theres nothing i can eat. Hmmmm. Is that anything vegan in there? or as a vegan should i just refuse to eat anything and put money in their pockets....

Cherry
May 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Some people would argue that vegans eating at McDonalds is positive because it increases the demand for vegan food and will make them more likely to provide it.

I say steer well clear!! They're evil (IMO), the food is unhealthy, and even if there was something that was vegan on the menu I wouldn't trust that by the time it got to me it would still be vegan from all the cross contamination. Don't give them your financial support.

I hope at least one of your friends will be understanding and supportive, and that you can find somewhere else to go that's a bit more vegan friendly :)

starbee
May 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
there is a TONE of information here: http://www.mcspotlight.org/ (and what a fantastic site too, who done that then?)
"....and welcome. To McSpotlight. The biggest, loudest, most red, most read Anti-McDonald's extravaganza the world has ever seen. Anything you could possibly want to know about McDonald's or McLibel nestles somewhere in our 21,000 files. Don't get us wrong, though, we're not telling you to give up your Big Macs. We just provide the info for you to judge for yourself...."

[just think, soon every town in the world will look exactly the same, how exciting]

Jon.

aubergine
May 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Apart from the fries (UK) everything on their menu contains animal products or is tested on animals.

I'd avoid it altogether.

Mr Flibble
May 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I haven't eaten there or anything from there this millenium. Infact, one of the last times i went in one i was removed by 2 security guards - something about 2 other stores being trashed within a couple of miles and a couple of hours. I think they were a bit edgy about people with placcards and whistles ;)

McSpotlight is a good resource, there was a great documentary made for channel 4 a while back. I don't think it's online but do have a copy that i've shown various people

the_red_star
May 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I would encourage anybody and everybody to avoid giving McDonald's their custom regardless of whether they are vegan, vegetarian or omnivorous. They are another multinational that is destroying the world. They are terribly unethical.

That link posted earlier is really good and has a load of info on it. I'm sure you'll find the majority of what you want to know on there.

starbee
May 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
......there was a great documentary made for channel 4 a while back. I don't think it's online but do have a copy that i've shown various people
Not a C4 film but a Spanner film - www.spannerfilms.net - you can buy a copy there for £12 - and there other films are great too.

ravenfire
May 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, nothing on their menu (in the US anyway) is suitable for vegans. The fries even have beef flavor added now that they can't fry them in tallow anymore.

Maisiepaisie
May 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Just heard on the news that McDonalds happy meals are to be scrapped because Disney no longer wishes to be associated with junk food and obesity.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=61985&c=w
A decision by Disney to pull out of deals with McDonalds is being highlighted as proof that the public has had enough of inappropriate marketing.

The entertainment giant is ending its marketing arrangement with the fast food chain, citing fears of child obesity.

It is believed that DreamWorks Animation is considering a similar move, which is delighting Robyn Toomath of Fight the Obesity Epidemic.

She says the move exemplifies the huge level of public support for moves, such as banning advertising.

She says now that steps are being taken internationally she hopes New Zealand will finally follow suit. Dr Toomath says when companies like Disney start showing concern, New Zealand looks increasingly negligent in being so slow to take action.

Risker
May 9th, 2006, 07:40 AM
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/resources/img/sections/eatsmart/Nutrition.pdf

Page 6 has a food allergy listing.

ravenfire
May 10th, 2006, 01:38 AM
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/resources/img/sections/eatsmart/Nutrition.pdf

Page 6 has a food allergy listing.

Just be warned though that they were recently busted for having both dairy and wheat in their fries when their food allergy listings said neither were present. Since they just got busted they may be more honest now but with McDonalds who knows!

Jane M
May 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I still worry about all the ketchup packets I use to steal from them in college. They were the basis of my world infamous ketchup soup.

Mystic
May 10th, 2006, 03:20 AM
OMG PLEASE TELL ME THE RECIPE FOR KETCHUP SOUP!!!!!

Jane M
May 10th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Hot water + ketchup = ketchup soup....best sprinkled with a (ripped off) pack of pepper and served with those little packs of saltines:D

Mystic
May 10th, 2006, 03:35 AM
:D Guess what I'm having for dinner!!!! Thanks - I loooooooooove ketchup

Jane M
May 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM
hmmm...I have a friend who makes ketchup spagetti sauce...maybe I should get his recipe for you?

Mystic
May 10th, 2006, 04:31 AM
YES PLEASE :D

tabitha
May 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I had to take the boys into McDonalds the other day (they dragged me in). I was absolutely starving at the time, so I asked if they could do me a baguette with just grilled veggies, no cheese or mayo. The young man was charming and said of course. I waited and waited. Eventually I got it - full of cheese and mayo. I took it back, he apologised. I got another one full of cheese and mayo. I then gave up. Veggies would probably have been grilled with the burgers anyway. Tossers:mad:

Mr Flibble
May 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
:eek:

my kids will no doubt hate me, but i'm willing to take that risk ;)

Hemlock
May 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Even if McDonalds did a hundred vegan options I wouldn't eat their sh*t knowing what they put in it, what they do to the environment, animals etc etc. My son wasn't allowed in there and now he is a vegan and wouldn't go near the golden arches anyway.

Enchantress
May 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm grateful to my parents for not taking me to McDonalds.

the_red_star
May 10th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I was taken to McDonald's when i was younger, but it was like a 'treat'. Even the smell as i walk past a McDonalds repulses me. I wonder if people actually think about what they smell when they walk past a mcdonalds or if they are just somehow conditioned to like it, because really, it just smells of chemicals and fat!!! yuk!

BluEyze
Jun 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I was taken to McDonald's when i was younger, but it was like a 'treat'.

I can remember that, and that's why I think it's great about the whole Disney dropping Happy Meals thing, because, as a child, I considered it exciting and a luxury to go McDonald's and can remember trying to persuade my mum to take me there, and now I'm trying to disuade her, oh how I've changed... For the good, no doubt. It's just gross to think children enjoy going and it makes them happy, if only they had our knowledge and were mature enough to understand what that awful company does.

~Jay