PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to go raw?

eve
May 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Ratatouille can rot your teeth
Agençe France-Presse - Thursday, 4 May 2006

Eggplants and other ingredients of ratatouille become more acidic if you roast them in the oven. Cooked vegetables can be as acidic as tooth-eroding fizzy drinks, scientists warn.

Read full article at: http://abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1630447.htm

DianeVegan
May 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Interesting. I always thought eggplant became less acidic as you cook it. It certainly becomes much more palatable!

It's that raw time of the year here in the northern hemisphere with summer approaching. We are trying a new recipe for raw beet ravioli with pine nut "cheese" tomorrow. So much nicer than turning on the stove.

cedarblue
May 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
WOW, sounds interesting diane - let us know here how it turns out. can you do a photo?

DianeVegan
May 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I can certainly do a photo - although I may just use the photo in the recipe book if it looks better than mine (as it most certainly might). I did make one mistake however - the filling is made with cashews, not pine nuts. There are too many recipes floating around in my head right now.

DianeVegan
May 8th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Here goes. I hope these are not too large. The sauce (not very artistically drizzled) is made of orange peppers and soaked pine nuts.

Roxy
May 8th, 2006, 04:59 AM
That's raw? Wow!! It looks very yummy!! :D I love beets.

insubordination
May 13th, 2006, 06:29 AM
That's interesting because as much as I love eggplant, baba ganoosh etc. It doesn't sit in my stomach very well and gives me indigestion. Why is it so damn tasty?

chickendude
May 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I love raw vegan recipes, they're incredibly quick! And it's incredibly hard to make anything that's not healthy. I've got a raw lemon pie at my house waiting for me to finish :)

Cherry
May 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Interesting.

Just a passing thought, but surely most raw fruits are more acidic than most cooked veg?

speedylemons
May 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I love raw vegan recipes, they're incredibly quick! And it's incredibly hard to make anything that's not healthy. I've got a raw lemon pie at my house waiting for me to finish :)

:eek: did you make it yourself?

DianeVegan
May 16th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I made a raw Pina Colada pie today, truly raw as the crust was not dehydrated. Since there are only two of us in the house I believe we could become overweight eating only raw!

zena
May 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
i ate a cooked slice of eggplant the other day and it hurt my tounge. the same way you dont want to touch fire a second time, i just dont want it. i used to love it though. its strange. but that whole acidity thing explains it perfectly, thank you, eve.

speedylemons
May 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I try to eat mainly raw.. but how do you eat beans raw, like kidney beans, chickpeas, blackbeans etc..? Do you just soak them for a certain amount of time..?? :confused::confused::o

~Lenore
May 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I try to eat mainly raw.. but how do you eat beans raw, like kidney beans, chickpeas, blackbeans etc..? Do you just soak them for a certain amount of time..?? :confused::confused::o

I don't know much on the issue but I do know that some (apparently many) beans are dangerously toxic when eaten raw or raw & soaked, particularly kidney beans.
Although I do know that you can soak and sprout lentils so that they are safe. I've done it, quite fun. :D

Haniska
Sep 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I just read this article on raw eggplant:
www.waynescomputerworld.com/Dotti/vegetables.html

It should not be consumed raw because it contains the toxin solamine. I don't know that I believe that cooking totally destroys it as solamine is the chemical found in nightshades. Nightshades are to be avoiding by sensitive people with arthitus, and I have never seen it said that it is okay so long as cooked.

Korn
Sep 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I think most people will avoid eating eggplant (or potatoes, another plant in the nightshade family) raw... :) Tomato - also a nightshade plant - is said to be one of few plants that actually benefits from being cooked.

cedarblue
Sep 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
i've probably posted it elsewhere before but i like http://www.thegardendiet.com site. i have purchased their e-books, circular workout etc and they have now added a weight gain/weight loss/shopping list e book too.

i made their raw apple pie and made and took the creamy raw peach pie to a potluck last week which was all eaten up!!

they dont bother with dehydrators (i cant be bothered either). i'm not setting them up as guru's or anything, i just think they have a good ethos and attitude. i eat raw 3/4 of the day now with just a cooked meal with the family at night. i made raw tomato sauce to go with pasta which was storming!
(the raw pasta was originally sliced zucchini but i compromised and had organic corn fusilli with it)

emmydu
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:55 AM
oh, i hope eggplants aren't toxic!
i love them so much...