PDA

View Full Version : Brisbanites!

Pages : [1] 2

Jamie
May 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hi guys,

I'm from Brisbane originally - lived in Aus till I was 18, then married my english penpal and moved to the UK, and now I've been here for 5 1/2 years. Anyway, sick of the cold, and we are planning to emigrate to live in Aus. We are planning to come back to Brisbane, so I just wanted to say a hello on here and hope that any of you from the area will say hello back! :) We are looking to rent in the city or inner north initially, then buy somewhere, probably mid north but with the low prices for large places out cabolture way might end up there.

So how is life in Bris for Vegans?

Roxy
May 8th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Hi Jamie. I'm an ex-Brissy girl too :)

I've been living in Canada with my Canadian partner, since 2002. We were lucky enough to be able to visit Australia last year, and spent a few days in Brisbane with my parents. It was beautiful! You're very lucky to be moving back there :)

Geoff
May 8th, 2006, 03:41 AM
VVSQ has a website with lots of info: http://www.vegsoc.org.au/
And there's the vegan meetup: http://vegan.meetup.com/36/events/4833039/

I live south of the river and have no knowledge of or interest in, the northside. :D

Jamie
May 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I live south of the river and have no knowledge of or interest in, the northside. :D

oooh, play nice please!! :( :o I don't understand why there is such a big cliquey thing of south vs north - I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else I've lived!

Geoff
May 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Well get used to it Kid! :)

Jamie
May 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
why?! why can't we all beeee friiieeeeennnndddssss???! mate. Especially since we are all such fabulous vegan types. we are brisbane's most rockingest citizens. power to the vegans! wooo! (ok I just drank too much V in my lunch break, you'll have to excuse me, a bit overexcited...!!).

I have nothing against the south - I don't really know it though. My family have always lived in the North. I want to buy a house there just so we won't be far from the babysitters. Er, I mean my parents!! ;)

Geoff
May 9th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I have nothing against the south - I don't really know it though. My family have always lived in the North.

And this is from someone who doesn't believe we should have a north / south divide! :D :) :confused: :p ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

abrennan
May 9th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Geoff is just suffering post traumatic stress from being around in the Bjelke-Peterson era.

Brisbane is a great place as is all of QLD. Every time I visit Brisbane it seems as if there is another vegan restaurant. When I was there last month I found this great big health food shop in east brisbane, I canne remember it's name.

antony

Geoff
May 9th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Mrs Flannery's at the Gabba. :)
Yes, I was here for part of Joh's reign, which is probably why I have no hair! :(

abrennan
May 9th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Yeah good on you Mrs Flannery's I was impressed. That's where I bought all my food to take to Moreton. I stayed at Tangalooma resort and they don't even understand vegetarian never mind vegan. And the weather was fantastic.

Antony Flannery

Geoff
May 9th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I'll tell you a good story about Tangalooma sometime. :)

abrennan
May 9th, 2006, 11:01 AM
come on then

what's the story

if you're in the mood

Jamie
May 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
And this is from someone who doesn't believe we should have a north / south divide! :D :) :confused: :p ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

I don't get it?? I only meant geographically! :)

Geoff
May 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
come on then

what's the story

if you're in the mood

Get your gear off, find an appropriate spot, and I'll tell you - later. :D

(It's my bedtime - I'm an early riser :) )

abrennan
May 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
don't worry he doesn't evan mean anything you can tell by all those emoticons crowding around after him

Jamie
May 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Every time I visit Brisbane it seems as if there is another vegan restaurant. When I was there last month I found this great big health food shop in east brisbane, I canne remember it's name.
antony

really! last time I was in Bris, I found one vegetarian restaurant (it think it was Squirrels, or Nuts, or something...!). And the salad bar at Sizzlers. But I was only veggie then - not tired it as a vegan yet. Please fill me in on what delights await! :D

And are we going to have a potluck party for my arrival?!!! It can be a housewarming, once we find somewhere to live...! :eek: :p

Geoff
May 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Jamie looks cute, doesn't she fellas? :D

Jamie
May 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
once we find somewhere to live...! :eek: :p

that's me and my hubby, I mean, not all of us vegans together. Although that's an idea.... The Vegan Castle! :D

Jamie
May 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Jamie looks cute, doesn't she fellas? :D

LOL... you can't say that based on such a small picture! :p

abrennan
May 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM
really! last time I was in Bris, I found one vegetarian restaurant (it think it was Squirrels, or Nuts, or something...!). And the salad bar at Sizzlers. But I was only veggie then - not tired it as a vegan yet. Please fill me in on what delights await! :D

And are we going to have a potluck party for my arrival?!!! It can be a housewarming, once we find somewhere to live...! :eek: :p

There's the forest cafe in the west end on Boundary Street

There's Pu Kwong Logan Road at Underwood (asian vegan)

The Sun Ho on abbott st in camp hill

Vegetarian House in mains rd at sunnybank

And here's me I live in Sydney. Mebbe when Geoff wakes up he might know of more of em

antony

Jamie
May 17th, 2006, 03:04 PM
well done antony! :-) geoff man wake up...

are there plenty of places to get special food items from, like tofu (ok silly question), nutritional yeast, tvp, etc?

Geoff
May 18th, 2006, 12:57 AM
It's all at www.vegsoc.org.au (http://www.vegsoc.org.au) :)

abrennan
May 18th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah have a look at that link. You can get many things in supermarkets, the usually have a variety of tofu, even TVP. There are a few health food stores where you can get nutritional yeast and other ingredients like that.

Things have come a long way in the last five years in most Australian cities :cool:

Jamie
Oct 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Just an update - we got our visa! :D We are planning to get to Bris in mid Jan, via Singapore. I'm hoping we will book our flights within a week now, hopefully after we (hopefully!) hear back from some leads on accomodation.

So start planning my party guys ;)

Roxy
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Congratulations! Great News!! I am planning to be there and visit my family next October/November :)