PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Home and Away?

sosmixchild
May 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hello,

Not it's my own fault I know, and theres no excusing it. But here we are. I've been a good little vegan for three weeks, until I came here, here being Spain, on a working trip, and my mind set is totally different. I feel stupidly tempted by foods that I know arn't vegan by a long shot. Did I leave all my values at home when I got on the plane? And I'm sure I've probably had meals, sandwiches that although were the veggie option, probably had something non-vegan in, its impossible to be totally sure here, work wise I can't make much of a fuss about food, and we're so busy and work so late meal times can be hit or miss that there is anything left in the staff catering. But why am I being so lax? I'm so strict at home, and wont let anything sus get on my plate. Arg.

I felt all mind made up not so long ao, all set and sorted. Two steps forward one back. Damn it.

veganbikerboy
May 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I know it's difficult; particularly being a new vegan with old temptations still there. But stick with it. How long are you there for?

I always supplementing the meals i get served with stuff i buy from supermarkets which i stash in my room. That way if the only sure vegan thing is a 'lettuce sandwich' you don't have to worry about being hungry later or missing out on protien etc. because you have provisions (peanuts + apples + bread usually hide under my bed:D )

As i say stick with it and even if you decide to take risks don't form habits (ie allowing cheese etc..)

sosmixchild
May 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply bikerboy, and you're right. Don't worry I won't start letting things creep or tailor things in silly ways. I took some dried friut with me, but didnt think to take anything else, to be honest it was last minute me going. I am out here for four days, already done three and tomorrrow I'm on my way home. So it's not long now. And I was good to start with. My only excuses are working till gone 1 in the morning, and feeling a bit hard done by seeing the amazing sculpture like foods and desserts everyone else had, i had no treats. :( I think thats it really, nothing like feeling denied to invite the devil to your shoulder.

veganbikerboy
May 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM
live and learn;) next time you'll be a bit better prepared. Sounds like you've done OK anyway, so you should be proud of that.

The longer you are vegan the easier it is, better planning and a better understanding of what you can get away with when your eating out.

It does get easier honest; i just had a great holiday to portugal - huge meateaters. ate in chinese + indian restaurants and even found a little veggie cafe:D

chickendude
May 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Anyways, after about a month or two, things that you know aren't vegan will begin to stop looking appetizing. Things like hamburgers and fish and such will probably make you a little queasy (if they don't already). It just takes a little while to detox, and then the only difficult part is finding the small, unexpected things they throw in (like milk in vegetable soups or something). However, I've never gone overseas since adopting veganism, and I don't know how fluently you speak Spanish, but that may make it more difficult. I don't know.

Keep at it, those cravings will die down :)

seviya
May 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I know this may sound really stupid, but, whenever possible, brush your teeth, or use some heavily-minted mouthwash. Right before breakfast, lunch, dinner, and right before you go out and about. Doing this tells your brain 1) mealtime is over so stop craving - especially that [insert tempting non-vegan food here], and 2) you've just brushed your teeth so nothing will reallly taste good - especially not that [insert tempting non-vegan food here].

I had to do this on vacation with my (at the time) non-vegan husband. It allowed me to regain control of my impulses by tricking my brain, and I'd be able to think rationally and go find/eat vegan stuff. Even when I was tired, and there was nothing to pick from because it was at the end of the day, I'd be able to say to myself, "Well at least I can eat that apple, and if I'm still very hungry well let that be a lesson to me!" and because I really hate being reallly hungry, I made sure to plan the next morning.

Hopefully this doesn't sound unhealthy or anything. It works for me because I'd hate myself if I ate an animal/by-product just because I didn't have the time, wherewithall, or conviction to turn down, say, a big yeasty calzone stuffed with tomato sauce and cultured cow breast milk. But I'm not always 100% in control of my body, so sometimes, when my guard is really down and I don't have many options, it suddenly wants gobs of cultured breast milk. Yeecch. And I know I'd be less likely to take a slice if I had that nasty toothpaste taste in my mouth.

Anyways. Sorry so long. Best of luck!!! :)

Agatha
May 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I'm going on holiday to Spain in September and I'm a bit worried about it becase I don't speak Spanish. Both of my flatmates used to live in Spain and have scared me with their stories! apparently the Spanish believe fish and any kind of meat in a tin is vegetarian (this was confirmed in a spanish restaurant the other day when the waiter gave me some 'vegetarian' tuna). How on earth can I explain I don't want milk or cheese or eggs either?! I'm planning on lots of tapas and fruit, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? I never go anywhere without a handbag full of nuts and dried fruit but it would be nice to eat with my friends in a restaurant rather than just watch them!

Risker
May 9th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm going on holiday to Spain in September and I'm a bit worried about it becase I don't speak Spanish. Both of my flatmates used to live in Spain and have scared me with their stories! apparently the Spanish believe fish and any kind of meat in a tin is vegetarian (this was confirmed in a spanish restaurant the other day when the waiter gave me some 'vegetarian' tuna). How on earth can I explain I don't want milk or cheese or eggs either?! I'm planning on lots of tapas and fruit, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? I never go anywhere without a handbag full of nuts and dried fruit but it would be nice to eat with my friends in a restaurant rather than just watch them!

Last time I went I took a vegan passport (http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/products/veganpassport.shtml), I didn't use it but I took it! :rolleyes:

I ate as much as I could before going out and then when out ate tapas and got drunk.

You might be able to find a vege resteraunt, have a look here. (http://www.happycow.net/)

veganbikerboy
May 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I used teh Happy cow site to find the veggie place in Portugal:)

pat sommer
May 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
all great replies. Love your idea Seviya, #6. When travelling somewhere new I find it's 'live and learn'. Why not 'live and learn' at your local Tapas bar first, Agatha? Knowing what you want and asking for it saves everyone headache.Grocery shopping shouldn't be a problem: EU labels have 5 languages! Hope you like olives...