PDA

View Full Version : chocolate chip cookie recipe from vegweb

foxytina_69
May 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM
i just made these. i also added 1/2 cup natural peanut butter and 1 egg from egg replacer to counteract all the comments about the dough being too dry and crumbly and to make it more flavourful.

they were delicious! i baked them for 11 minutes. they dont seem done but after they cool they are! delicious.

also, leave them on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before taking them off, or they will probably fall apart.

i also used brown rice flour since i cant have normal flour.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6391.msg75149#msg75149

DianeVegan
May 10th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that link, Tina. I may try them since we have company coming this weekend.

Cloudy
May 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I've made the ones from PPK (linkage (http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=111)) twice and they are hard to beat. I took some into work once and people couldn't believe they were vegan.

Antonia
May 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for that FoxyT! I'm co-hosting my first party and the weekend since turning vegan, and whilst most of the food will be a mix for all I want to wow people over with my delicious vegan cooking. I was gonna go for the real naughty appeal of cakes and stuff. These sound perfect.

Jane M
May 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Antonia, I do the same thing when a bunch of omnis come over!!! Make plenty though....they eat everything....especially the deserts....

Yummmm....choco chip cookies...mmmmmmmm

foxytina_69
May 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM
i dont know how they would turn out without the peanut butter, it kindof works as the extra liquid the recipe needs!

cloudy, i came across that recipe but didnt have all the ingredients. glad to know theyre good!

Antonia
May 10th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Antonia, I do the same thing when a bunch of omnis come over!!! Make plenty though....they eat everything....especially the deserts....

I've made some already!!!!!! Been stuck in waiting for a phone call. They look and smell delicious (licking the spoon after was fun too). I'm not gonna start on them til my bf gets in though, otherwise there'll probably be none left for him.

I added cocoa powder so they look really chocolatey!

Watch this space for my verdict!!

Antonia
May 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well, they taste great, a little soft and crumbly though. Had to be eaten on a plate. Maybe I didn't cook them for long enough.

Tigerlily
May 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Tina! Is brown rice flour expensive?

foxytina_69
May 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
antonia, did you use egg replacer and peanut butter with your recipe? mine were a little dry, i thought that was just the rice flour though LOL. rice flour is sooo dry.

tigerlily, brown rice flour is about 3 dollars for a bag of four cups. its not as cheap as white flour or whole wheat flour but it usually lasts a while.

i use it in everything. pancakes, gravy, to thicken soups/sauces, muffins, cookies, fake omlettes, to add to cheese sauce, etc.

i find it works great as a flour replacement. i usually just add a little bit extra oil to the recipe before baking/cooking, than it calls for, just to make sure it doesnt end up dry.

this is the brand i buy. (they also have alot of gluten free recipes on the site)

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=86

chickendude
May 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Ohhh... I've made these cookies soo many times. My favorite part is definitely eating the left over dough (without having to worry about getting sick from the raw eggs!). And yea, everyone (vegans and non) always agree on how tasty they are! I usually cook them about four or five minutes extra, though, just til they have a light crust around the cookies. Then they have to cool for a while and they really firm up. They taste so delicious though!

Everyone always asks, what do I use to replace the eggs? Nothing :) But they are certainly worth the 20 or so minutes they take to make.

Tigerlily
May 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM
antonia, did you use egg replacer and peanut butter with your recipe? mine were a little dry, i thought that was just the rice flour though LOL. rice flour is sooo dry.

tigerlily, brown rice flour is about 3 dollars for a bag of four cups. its not as cheap as white flour or whole wheat flour but it usually lasts a while.

i use it in everything. pancakes, gravy, to thicken soups/sauces, muffins, cookies, fake omlettes, to add to cheese sauce, etc.

i find it works great as a flour replacement. i usually just add a little bit extra oil to the recipe before baking/cooking, than it calls for, just to make sure it doesnt end up dry.

this is the brand i buy. (they also have alot of gluten free recipes on the site)

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=86

Thanks! I'm trying to cut down on my wheat/gluten! :)

chickendude
May 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Is gluten bad for you? I see a lot of products that advertise being gluten free, but I'd always assumed it was because of allergies. Are there side effects I don't know about? Isn't it just the protein in wheat?

foxytina_69
May 17th, 2006, 04:08 AM
chickendude, gluten isnt bad for you, and it is mainly due to allergies that there are gluten free products. but many people often feel bloated/gassy/crampy after eating gluten products so alot of people try to cut down eating it. yes gluten is the protein in wheat, but it can cause alot of people to not feel that great.

Deadheadsam
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I just made thoes and I had the same problem with the dough bein dry. (I just added water)

Deadheadsam
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM
there are some people with a condition that causes gluten to hinder the absorbtion of certain nutrients, and is therefore a major detriment to their health.

tipsy
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:48 AM
these are the absolute best chocolate chip cookies. wich i can say are semi directly responsable for turning at least three people i know vegan...

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12657.0