PDA

View Full Version : Veggie burger recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

knotted thread
Jun 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM
yam! i guess sweet potato could work, try it!

pavotrouge
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
welcome knotted thread! I always thought sweet potato and yam were the same.. .

knotted thread
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM
they're similar i guess but i mean they have different names!

Woodsie
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Mmmm... Isn't true sweet potato white and yam/kumara the orange? Here in Oz the yellow ones are called kumara (yams in Canada / US?) I might try those burgers ... I need some inspiration in the kitchen some times!

knotted thread
Jun 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
yeah, yams are orange, and i'm pretty sure sweet potatos are white, i don't eat them very often. maybe they just have a similar taste.

Risker
Jun 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Sweet potatoes are orange. This is confusing me alot, especially after reading what wikipedia has to say about them.

The moist-fleshed, orange cultivars of sweet potato are often referred to as “yams” in the United States. One explanation of this confusion is that Africans brought to America took to calling American sweet potatoes Nyamis, perhaps from the Fulani word nyami (to eat) or the Twi word anyinam, which refers to a true yam. The true yam, which is native to Africa and Asia, can grow up to 2 m (6 ft) in length (sometimes with knuckle-like ends) and has a scaly skin, a pinkish white center, and a thick, almost oily feel to the tongue.

"Batata" or "Bataka" is the commonly used word for all varieties of Potato in Marathi and Gujarati, the two languages of Western states of India.

Later on many farmers and stores began marketing American-grown sweet potatoes as yams; the name stuck. In more recent times there has been an effort to stop the use of “yam” for sweet potatoes, but this has only been partially successful. USDA branding regulations require the word “yam” to be accompanied by the words “sweet potato” when referring to these moister sweet potatoes.

Starchy, white-fleshed types are sometimes called batatas or boniatos, from generic Spanish terms for all types of sweet potato.

Substratum names used in local varieties of English include Kūmara (from Māori), as it was the staple food of the native Māori diet, in the UK and Australasia (although "sweet potato" is more common in Australia, at least in Victoria) (the term is also used in indigenous languages of Melanesia, as well as "peteita"), and camote (from Nahuatl camohtli via Spanish) in the southwestern United States.

In Hawaiʻi substratum names are used for the yellow Japanese variety and the purple Okinawan variety, both of which are commonly available in the marketplace. The local Japanese names are widely recognized, with Satsumaimo “Satsuma potato” used by recent Japanese immigrant families and yamaimo (“mountain potato”) by other groups. (Technically, yamaimo is the proper name in Japanese of the native yam; however, as in English, it is often used to refer to the sweet potato.) However, naming often depends on personal ancestry, with e.g. Sāmoan ʻumala among Sāmoans, Tagalog kamote among Filipinos, and Hawaiian ʻuala among Native Hawaiians. The orange-fleshed variety common in the mainland US and sold alongside the Japanese and Okinawan cultivars is locally called “sweet potato” or “yam”. The purple Okinawan sweet potato is sometimes confused with the purple yam called ube.

pavotrouge
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:26 AM
haven't seen the brighter variety here... the orange variety is sold as "sweet potatoe" here and the lady my (Korean) asian grocery said it's the same as yams...

journey
May 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'm looking for a homemade veggie burger recipe (preferably easy to make, easy to freeze them for later, not a huge amount of calories, and cheaper to make than to buy the storebought ones). Anybody have a favorite recipe?

flying plum
May 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
i love a recipe i have from a cranks book:

1 tin blackeyed beans
thinly sliced mushrooms (nice portobello or something works well)
fresh coriander
soy sauce
tabasco
clove (or two or three!) garlic

fry the mushrooms.

warm the beans in saucepan of hot water (it makes the next step easier)

put them in a mixing bowl and mash them roughly with a potato masher. you want some smooth and some still whole. i sometimes separate them in half and run half through the blender to get them a bit more paste like (help it all stick together).

add the tabasco (to taste), garlic, soy sauce and mash some more. chop the coriander leaves and mix them in with your hands and grind in some black pepper.

put the whole lot in the fridge to cool down.

then, once cold, mould into little patties and fry them carefully. they usually stick together ok - the trick is definately to wait unitl they're cold though!

amanda

flying plum
May 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
oh, that recipe makes about four medium sized burgers :)

ellaminnowpea
May 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
yummm! good idea!

journey
May 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Sounds yummy - I'll give it a try. Thanks.

herbivorous bex
May 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
There's a good bean burger recipe on Vegan Village:

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/beanburgers.htm

which I used a while ago - I didn't stick to the recipe 100%, just used it as a guideline, but it still worked out ok!

Ames
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I always thought sweet potato and yam were the same too . . . I grew up in the US so I thought it was like, yams for americans, sweet potato for the english. Guess I was wrong!

The recipe sounds good . . . thanks for sharing!

JessicaBunneh
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I find the orange colored ones (yams/sweet potatoes/whatever) to taste much better than the white colored ones. This recipe sounds amazing, I'm going to try this. My fiance and I love spicy food.

iplayanesp
Oct 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
im a new vegan and mexican so snapped at this recipe. I just made a 2nd batch for lunch today. i didnt care for the burger patties but i make enchurritos and hot pockets.

for the enchurritos i simmered the beans with onions, cilantro and generallly the same spices while i baked the yams.

once both were done i strained the bean mix and mashed it together with the yams. I put a heaping table spoon of the mix in as many 6 inch tortillas as possible, put them in a bakers pan and drizzled tomato sauce over the top ( be a bit generous). I took a stroll through my spice drawer.(add what you feel). I put about 6 diffrent spices in it and i doubt ill make it the same way twice.

I baked them in the oven on 375 for about 7 minutes.

tasted awesome. I used a 14oz can of beans btw. and a average sized yam.

i took the same mix and stuffed it in half pita slices, i brushed olive oil over the pita and sliced mushrooms for the top, sprinkled oreganno over the top and viola vegan hot pockets.

Karmalife
Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been surfing the web for a good chickpea burger recipe but can't decide on one. Do you have a favorite recipe to share? Thanks!

Blueberries
Sep 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Heya, I don't have a favourite recipe but if you check VegWeb.com you should find loads. Good luck :D

Karmalife
Sep 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks blueberries :)

Korn
Sep 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Isn't falafel (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/content.php?210-How-To-Make-Falafel) more or less a chick pea burger - just make it a little more... flat? :)

pat sommer
Sep 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Yup, burger is just a patty... So many options to build a better Garbanzo burger (Spanish sounds tastier)

Falafel is from raw soaked ground chickpeas/fava: lota work but freezes well
http://lis.net.au/marijonas/WOLF1.html has best authentic introductory recipe

Cooked Chickpea with added binder and a nice coating is a croquette. Burger shaped works too.

Besan, Gram or Garbanzo flour are all names for chickpea flour that are the base of Bhaji. This is my favorite way to make burgers!
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/564750 is a great discussion of besan.

My method for burgers is to clear out bits lurking in the veg bin and chop fine: pinky nail size or for carrots/pumpkin grated.
Throw in leftover brown rice or other grain, beans.
Toss in some pumpkin seeds or sunflower, nuts too like walnut or cashew.
Keep adding to the mixing bowl til filled up to the level you need. This will be the size of mix once the binder is added.
*Season liberally. Leave the salty seasonings for the batter as it will weep the veg.

Binder:
besan batter as per bhaji. For novices, use blender: clumps like crazy! Bout 2 parts flour to 1 part water -aim for thick but pourable (juicier the veg, thicker the batter). That's 80g water for every 100g flour. A good pinch of baking soda will make lighter burgers. Add salt to taste BUT DON'T TASTE -raw beans are mildly toxic and taste horrible!

Mix in batter to burger fillings glop by glop until the whole mess binds enough to scoop a burger-full out by hand. Fry up a burger and add more batter to mix if necessary.

Shallow Fry: loves to stick! Either use oil generously or use a heavy cast-iron skillet and let a good crust form on the bottom before flipping.
tip for well-formed patties: either use rings to mound mix into pan and leave til ready to flip, or drop the mix in without spreading to burger thickness; squash after flipping.

*seasoning options: chili mix, paprika garlic and italian herbs, curry powder... soysauce ginger and sichuan peppercorns...

Karmalife
Sep 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, falafel is made of chickpeas but usually fried, which I'm not interested in. I'll keep looking!

pat sommer
Sep 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Well, if you are looking for a grilled chickpea burger from scratch, good luck. If you just want to limit the oil, there are options...

Brush with oil and bake. That will work even for falafel. Guess that's close to roasting.

Flame broil. That would work best on the croquette/breaded burgers.

Microwave to 'set' then hit the nonstick-griddle for crisping

harpy
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yes I find that you can bake most burger type recipes in the oven instead of frying them, and I usually do as anything I fry falls apart. Just make sure you grease the tin sufficiently.

Karmalife
Sep 5th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I think I am going to try this recipe tomorrow:

http://theveeword.blogspot.com/2011/05/extreme-vegan-makeover-chickpea-burgers.html

Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know how it turns out :)