PDA

View Full Version : Veggie burger recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

basteq
Aug 30th, 2004, 03:46 PM
If someone has good recipes for burgers please post.

One more thing.

When I say "good" I mean GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD ok? :cool:

basteq
Sep 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM
are there no fans of burgers in here??????? :mad:
I guess I'm the only freak who enjoys that kind of stuff.

Artichoke47
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:11 PM
I guess I usually make other things. If I find a recipe that I like, I'll post it. :)

cast_the_flames
Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
i'm still looking for one :(

basteq
Sep 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM
me 2 . I've tried these (http://www.veganchef.com/bayoubean.htm) recently.

2 soft. MUCH 2 SOFT

I want my veggie burger like meat burger. FIRM

What could you use to make it FIRM?

I've used 2 T of potato starch and flour. Didnt help much.

BURGER SHOULD B FIRM AND JUICY.

Artichoke47
Sep 5th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Maybe you could throw more oatmeal or add some seeds to it, Basteq.

How about nutritional yeast?

You could also try baking the burgers and then pan-frying.

foxytina_69
Sep 14th, 2004, 11:03 PM
hi basteq,

i tried this recipe this morning making sausages, they were delicious. instead of folding them into sausage shapes, fold them into patties and fry them. theyre firm and crispy and delicious. (mix sum sage into the mixture aswell and it tastes decadent)

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-reci...ast-sausage.htm

basteq
Sep 19th, 2004, 05:18 PM
made them today.
And they were not so firm as I was hoping for. Pretty ok. but still they were floating away when i put those patties in bun. I've made also two sausages out of it. They were yummy. :)

Thanks for the recipe, Foxytina...

foxytina_69
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM
heres a recipe for burgers i got from "veggie for life" magazine:

baked portobello soy-nut burgers:

-1 cup chopped onion
-3/4 cup chopped carrots (about 1 medium)
-1 tbs olive oil
-1 cup walnuts
-1 15 ounce can black soybeans, drained
-1 cup dried bread crumbs
-1/4 cup minced parsley
-2 tbs almond butter
-1 tbs boullion powder or paste
-1 tbs minced fresh thyme
-1 tbs tamari or other soy sauce
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-salt and pepper, to taste
-cooking spray or oil

1.preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly brush or spray a nonstick baking sheet with oil.

2.using a food processor, mince onion and carrot finely. in a medium skillet over medium heat, saute onion and carrots in oil until limp, 4-5 minutes.

3.in the food processor, grind nuts until fine, but not powder. transfer to a large bowl. add beans to processor bowl and pulse to a coarse meal, but dont puree. add to bowl.

4. stir in bread crumbs, parsley, almond butter, bouillon powder, thyme, tamari, garlic powder, salt and pepper. mix with your hands and knead to combine.

5. bake for 25 minutes, let cool.

per burger, w/o bread: 402 calories, 17 grams protien, 24 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat), 36 grams carbs, 673 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 6.8 grams fiber.

it says to put the burger mixture on 6 portobello mushrooms (after scraping out the gills) and bake that way, but id rather just have the mixture. i did the recipe a bit different because i didnt have sum ingredients but they turned out delicious.

basteq
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
sounds really delicious. :)
Will try it soon.

JasperKat
Oct 15th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I've never made my own vegan burgers, but the brand name of the mix I like is Fantastik. I'm in the US tho. Don't know if it is available wherever you are.
-JK

Artichoke47
Oct 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I just made some chickpea/rice/oatmeal burgers. They taste good on a wheat bun with romaine and tomato, but man, do they fall apart, while cooking and eating. :( That's part of the problem with vegan burgers, I think.

foxytina_69
Oct 16th, 2004, 08:33 PM
the burgers i made didnt fall apart at all. they were firm and yummy!

Artichoke47
Oct 16th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, I don't like mushrooms and I'm also cutting down on my nut and seed intake. :(

mysh
Oct 16th, 2004, 10:51 PM
... I'm also cutting down on my nut and seed intake. :(

Doesn't this comment belong in the "A very serious question for vegans" thread?

(I'm sorry - my mind resides in the gutter, and this was too good to miss).

Artichoke47
Oct 16th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I don't get it, Mysh. Maybe your sense of humor is above my capacity to reason? :)

It's not a question; it's a statement of fact. Can you explain?

mysh
Oct 16th, 2004, 11:03 PM
The thread I mentioned is about "can vegans swallow...".
But you said that you're cutting down on your seed and nut intake.
It was funny in my head. :o

Artichoke47
Oct 16th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Oh, I get it. LOL

I've never had that type of nut and seed intake, thank goodness! :D

foxytina_69
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:36 AM
may i ask why u are cutting down on your nut and seed intake artichoke?

Artichoke47
Oct 17th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Well, I was reading books by Dr. Neal Barnard, and in it, he emphasizes that a healthy vegan diet includes whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruit, and that a healthy diet is a low-fat diet, including about 10 to 15% of calories from fat. Nuts and seeds get over 75% of their calories from fat.

While I don't think it is bad to eat nuts and seeds ocassionally, I do not include them in my morning oatmeal anymore and will stop making the pecan-cashew balls. I have found that I have more energy now and that I feel less weighted down. I think my metabolism went up even higher, and I am not tracking my calorie or Point count anymore. Complex carbohydrates increase your metabolism, Dr. Barnard explains. :) I bet the Atkins dieters would love to hear that.

Anyway, so the reason is to cut down on calories from fat intake. I have also cut down on using canola and extra-virgin olive oil. I am emphasizing the Four New Food Groups!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Artichoke, I know you are very balanced and knowledgeable and I agree with Dr. Barnard's principles set forth, especially The New Four Food Groups information. Just be sure you are getting enough EFA's ;) (removes her "Mom" hat and quietly goes back to her corner...)

Artichoke47
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Yes, thank you for caring, CC. :D I appreciate it! I'm just trying to reduce the nut intake. I felt like they weighed me down, and I want to fill up with more legumes!

I used almonds in my crust for the sweet potato pie I've been eating two slices of a day. ;)

foxytina_69
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM
they were making this recipe on the cooking show "everyday food" and i decided to copy it down as they were saying it. so here it is. (they used egg, but i just replaced it for egg replacer)

3/4 cup uncooked brown lentils
3/4 cup walnuts
1/3 cup bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbs olive oil
egg replacer equal to 1 egg

cook brown lentils, and put aside.

process all ingredients except lentils, egg replacer and oil until fine, but dont make it into a paste.

add lentils, and olive oil. pulse until broken down but some lentils keep their shape. place into bowl and add egg replacer. mix until combined.

form into four patties, and fry until brown on each side over med-high heat. takes bout 8-10 minutes per side.

makes four burgers.

mmmm these sound delicious (and CHEAP which is always a great plus!)

Tiggerwoo
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds lovely, will have to have a go at cooking that.

Glossgirl
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I like this one from http://bratboyschool.com/bulletin/2006/05/post_5.php and that was a pinto beans and chili burger :D