PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Best Nutritional Advice with Cancer

gertvegan
May 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Cancer victims' diet plea

By Jane Kirby, 09 May 2006, Belfast Telegraph

Not enough is being done to promote the benefits of a healthy diet to people diagnosed with cancer, a charity said today.

A lack of training for doctors on the subject as well as patients' concerns over asking for help hampers their access to information, the Bristol Cancer Help Centre said.

The centre, which promotes complementary therapies to help people living with cancer, believes a good diet has physical and psychological benefits.

It carried out a survey of 1,288 people, which found that 83% were not routinely given advice on nutrition by their healthcare team and 77% did not feel they could ask for it.

Almost all (93%) of those questioned were not directed elsewhere for advice on diet, despite 61% saying they wanted information on the role of healthy eating.

The survey involved sending questionnaires to cancer self help and support groups across the UK.

Findings from our UK Survey on the Nutritional Advice Given to People with a Cancer Diagnosis can be found here. (http://www.bristolcancerhelp.org/nutritionsurvey06/index.php)

And the Bristol Cancer Help Centre will be at the Bristol Vegan Fayre (http://www.veganbristol.makessense.co.uk/events/83.html) on June 10th.

DianeVegan
May 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
And the sad truth is that better nutritional choices probably would have helped those people avoid cancer. It's pitiful that British doctors seem to suffer from the same lack of nutritional training as U.S. doctors. Also sad is the number of people obviously undergoing chemotherapy (hair loss) that I see when I do eat at exclusively vegan restaurants. A whole foods vegan diet can certainly help after a diagnosis of cancer but it's much more effective at prevention.

feral
May 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
A whole foods vegan diet can certainly help after a diagnosis of cancer but it's much more effective at prevention.

I couldn't agree more Diane.