PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Muffins - Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Flax

Wildflower
May 16th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I make a variation of this recipe at least once a week, so I thought I would share.

It is based off of this recipe ->

http://www.compassionatecooks.com/r/ccmuffins.htm

But I have changed a few things, mainly cut down on the sugar (1/4 cup instead of 1 cup), I use baking powder instead of baking soda, and I throw in some ground flax with the flour, and walnuts instead of chocolate chips. :) I do use chocolate chips occasionally too, and they are great. My favorite though, is to use 2 small packets of sliced almonds - those muffins are by far the best! :D

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use half whole wheat, half regular white flour - it is hard to tell there is whole wheat using this method)
1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 T baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tap water
4 very large or 5 medium bananas - very, very ripe (mainly brownish/black in color)
1 cup sliced almonds or 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chocolate chips

Method: makes 10 large or 12 medium muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream together sugar and olive oil. Add peeled bananas, 1/2 of a banana at a time. Blend well. Add 1/4 cup tap water and 1 tsp vanilla, blend well. While blending, add in 1 T baking powder and blend until frothy. Add a pinch of salt. While continuing to blend, gently add in flax seed meal until fully incorporated. Then add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting for flour to be mixed in before adding more. Add 1 cup chopped walnuts, or more, to your liking.
Pour into 10-12 muffin tins, greased with olive oil, and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Enjoy! :)

Tigerlily
May 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Can I make 24 small muffins with this?

jem
May 16th, 2006, 04:43 AM
thank you :D

Wildflower
May 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Can I make 24 small muffins with this?

LOL - For you? I don't know...:p

I will say yes, but instead of leaving them in for 40 minutes, check them after 15 minutes, and then check them again every 5 minutes. I would think they would take about 15-25 minutes to be done in smaller pans.

You will know when they are done because they will smell good, look done, and if you shake the pan they won't jiggle, and if you stick a tooth pick in, it will come out clean (not with raw batter on it).

:D

Wildflower
May 16th, 2006, 05:18 AM
thank you :D

Hey, no problem. :) I just made them again tonight, and I did use 1/4 cup flax, so I changed the recipe.

Let me know if you make them, if you like them! If this version is a bit healthy for you, try the original version with more sugar and white flour - i used to make those all the time and EVERYONE loved them. And noone ever even noticed they were vegan. :D

Tigerlily
May 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM
LOL - For you? I don't know...:p

I will say yes, but instead of leaving them in for 40 minutes, check them after 15 minutes, and then check them again every 5 minutes. I would think they would take about 15-25 minutes to be done in smaller pans.

You will know when they are done because they will smell good, look done, and if you shake the pan they won't jiggle, and if you stick a tooth pick in, it will come out clean (not with raw batter on it).

:D

:) Thanks, I only have a 24-muffin pan. :P I'm adding chocolate chips (but still making it with whole wheat flour). :D

Do these freeze well?

Wildflower
May 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I have never frozen them, but I would think they would.

My boyfriend eats them up in like 2 days when I make them, so they never last!

Also, if you don't have flax seed meal, just add in an extra 1/4 cup flour to make up the space.

Tigerlily
May 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I have a lot of flax seeds. I have 3 cups of the seeds in my freezer (and a good coffee grinder so I can make the flax meal easily).

jem
May 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Let me know if you make them, if you like them!

it'll be a few weeks because i'm moving,
but after that i fully intend to make them and i'll let you know.
assuming i make them right i'm sure i'll love them :)

Wildflower
May 21st, 2006, 02:51 AM
Cool. :)

I am making them again tonight or on the morning with sliced almonds. My fav way.