PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of an avocado substitute?

seviya
May 22nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
I know it sounds strange - I've just been eating a million of them lately!! My favorite is the avocado/sauerkraut sandwich mentioned elsewhere on this site - the sandwich really requires a full avocado, but I just can't justify eating so many avocados! Oh and don't get me started on guac . . .

Does anyone have any ideas for what might make a tasty substitute for avocado? I was thinking maybe mashed chickpeas with a little bit of lemon? Hrmmm.

Wildflower
May 22nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
I have seen "mock guacamole" recipes...and I do think they are made with chickpeas.

Hmmm...off to google it.

Wildflower
May 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
they all seem to use peas in place of avacado...and some throw in avacado for taste, but peas for bulk. I also see a recipe with asparagus...

chickendude
May 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Haha, I couldn't ever understand why you'd want to replace avocados! I love them! My girlfriend coerced me into trying some guacamole a couple months back, and since then I can't get enough of them!

But anyway, are you looking for a substitute that tastes like avocados? or something, perhaps similarly textured, but tastes different? Is there something wrong with eating too many avocados? Because, if not, what's the difference between an avocado and its substitute? Heh, sorry for all the questions.

Tigerlily
May 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Well, avocadoes are high in fat, so I think the reason why someone would want a replacement, was to cut down on the fat.

eve
May 23rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
what about homas?

Helen_Edwards
May 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Most of the fat in avocados is monounsaturated, though, so not so bad!
Maybe artichoke or palm hearts would work as substitutes.

seviya
May 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
It's true that I'm concerned about the fat - even if it's the "good" kind, I don't believe it would continue to benefit the body if eaten in such high amounts, every day - and that's exactly what I want to do!! Those sandiwches are beyond delicious - sometimes I even dream about them! *sigh*

So it's the taste and texture I'm after: smooth, creamy, mildly but distinctively flavored, a good balance to the sauerkraut. The pea idea is interesting, though I've never had an unassertive pea. Hrmm. I also really like the idea of some hummus - and I think I may have to try the atrichoke hearts on their own!!! (with kraut on a sandwich, bien sur, mmmmmm it sounds delicious) Thank you for the suggestions!!!!!!

Mystic
May 29th, 2006, 02:43 AM
OMG YUM! Avocado and sourkrout sandwiches...must try that!

Couldn't you just use less avocado?

Tigerlily
May 29th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I find avocado browns way too much. Even when I wrap it tightly with two layers of plastic wrap and drizzle lemon juice on the avocado. :( So I often have no choice but to eat the whole thing (the rest of the family are avocado-haters).

tipsy
May 29th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Haha, I couldn't ever understand why you'd want to replace avocados!

yeah!

what he said!

Roxy
May 29th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I find avocado browns way too much. Even when I wrap it tightly with two layers of plastic wrap and drizzle lemon juice on the avocado. :( So I often have no choice but to eat the whole thing (the rest of the family are avocado-haters).

Quite often though, you can just scrape the brown bits off the next day and you'll find that the rest of the avocado with be completely fine.

We often do that, so we'll share half an avo today and the other half the next day.

Tigerlily
May 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Oh, mine are always brown all over. :( Gross.

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Wow, I wish I ate enough avocado to have to worry about a substitue. They are addictive. I'd actually be interested in what I could substitute avocados in place of. Mmmm... Avocado! :)