PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to pastry

Pob
May 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
I want to try and make some pies or pasties, but without using shop bought pastry (hydrogenated oils). I'd also like not to use saturated type fats, and also to have a lower fat content, too.

Are there alternatives to using hardened/saturated fats and still making a crumbly/flaky/chewy tasty pastry type thing?

I'm going to try making mini-calzone pizzas at some stage, but I'm also looking for other ideas.

I saw a You Are What You Eat the other day. Gillian gave a bloke a pie with butternut squash pastry that looked really good - anyone know how to make that?

Mr Flibble
May 22nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
From: http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=123132

At least it avoided making pastry (I can't suss how to make it with non-hydrogenated fats) or using unhealthy shop bought pastry.

Have you tried coconut oil for pastries? It works amazingly well!

After requesting however she never replied. perhaps you could PM her?

As for pizza dough, I and most people just use extra virgin olive oil not margerine

Pob
May 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I was kind of hoping to avoid the use of either that or palm fat.

Just wondered of there was a healthy substitute that could be used instead of hard fats (like apple sauce is used a substitute for fat in cakes and biscuits).

Jane M
May 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I found this recipe posted a couple of places. I suppose you could sub butternut squash for the apple???

Fat Free Crust

1 apple, peeled and cored
1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs. vodka
1 tsp. baking powder

Instructions:

Boil apple until soft. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until it forms a ball. (Or, use the traditional method of pushing apple through a sieve and then mix together with other ingredients.) The dough will be sticky. Refrigerate 2-3 hours. Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove dough from refrigerator, roll out and place in a pie pan. Bake 15 minutes. Put pie filling in shell and bake according to instructions for pie.

twinkle
May 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I was kind of hoping to avoid the use of either that or palm fat.

Just wondered of there was a healthy substitute that could be used instead of hard fats (like apple sauce is used a substitute for fat in cakes and biscuits).

My first housemate used to make pastry with olive oil. It didn't hold together that brilliantly but it tasted okay.

For calzone the "pastry" part should be bread dough anyway which doesn't necessarily need any fat, as far as I know, because isn't calzone just inside out pizza? :D

Pob
May 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
My first housemate used to make pastry with olive oil. It didn't hold together that brilliantly but it tasted okay.

For calzone the "pastry" part should be bread dough anyway which doesn't necessarily need any fat, as far as I know, because isn't calzone just inside out pizza? :DYeah, calzone is just a folded pizza, using bread dough.

I'm fine with that. But I want a more pastry like alternative, too :)