PDA

View Full Version : "I can't believe that it's ACTUALLY vegan!"

Pages : [1] 2

veggiegirl3
May 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM
I found PETA's shopping guide a few months ago, and it's very helpful when I need to buy something at the SMALL supermarket in my tiny town or don't feel like reading tons of labels. However, I noticed that some of the items were not vegan! So, I thought I'd start this link. Anyone who knows of any common foods that are available in most stores, please add them to the list!
http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

veggiegirl3
May 23rd, 2006, 05:02 AM
Here is the cereal list. I put questionable ingredients nex to each item. I also don't know what alkali is, so I put that next to cereals with cocoa that was processed with it.

Cinnamon Life: Natural flavorings, riboflavin
Cocoa Puffs: Natural flavors, riboflavin
Chex Mix Frosted Cereal, riboflavin
Fiber One Bran Cereal (General Mills): Riboflavin
Kashi Organic Promise Autumn Wheat: Natural flavoring
Life Cereal: Riboflavin
Post Shredded Wheat
Malt-O-Meal original flavor: riboflavin
Malt-O-Meal Chocolate: Natural and Artificial ingredients, riboflavin
Malt-O-Meal Maple and Brown Sugar: Natural and artificial flavors, riboflavin
Malt-O-Meal Maple and Brown Sugar instant cereal: flavorings, riboflavin
Malt-O-Meal Apple and Cinnamon instant cereal: natural flavors, riboflavin
Nature Valley cinnamon crunchy granola bars
Nature Valley brown sugar crunchy granola bars
Poptarts: Unfrosted strawberry, unfrosted blueberry, unfrosted brown sugar, unfrosted cinnamon brown sugar
Quaker regular flavor instant packets: Riboflavin
Quaker Cinnamon and Spice: Riboflavin
Quaker Instant Raisins and Spice: Riboflavin
Quaker Instant Raisin, Date, and Walnut: Riboflavin

veggiegirl3
May 23rd, 2006, 05:30 AM
Beverages:

Alpine Instant Spice Cider: flavorings, caramel color
Ghirardelli Hot chocolate (Double Chocolate and chocolate mocha)
Ghirardelli White Mocha Hot Chocolate: Flavorings
Ghirardelli Chocolate Hazelnut Hot Chocolate: Natural and artificial hazelnut flavors
Ghirardelli Unsweetened baking chocolate
Kool Aid Jammers: Flavorings
Kool Aid (I think they are all vegan, but there are so many. I found the ingredients for unsweetened Orange): Flavorings
Nestle Nesquik Strawberry syrup: Flavorings
Nestle Nesquik chocolate power: flavorings
Nestle Nesquik very vanilla syrup and chocolate syrup: Can’t find ingredients online

Seaside
May 23rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
Alkalis are minerals, veggiegirl3. They are either lime (calcium carbonate) which is also used in processing corn for tortilla chips, etc., or potassium carbonate, as used in processing "dutch" cocoa. Plain old lye (sodium hydroxide) is used in processing olives.

Keep an eye on the Ghiradelli chocolate. They used to have three varieties that were vegan, but a few weeks ago I was checking their labels and they started putting milk fat in all the chocolate products I could find on the shelf that day.

DancingWillow
May 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
veggiegirl, yes, I noticed something similar with the Compassionate Consumer guide from PETA. Some products/companies they listed as vegan, had beeswax or some other non-vegan ingredient. I emailed them and they thanked me and updated the guide... perhaps you can do that with this PETA guide? Another possibility is that somebody from PETA has already contacted the companies that produce these products and has found out that the natural/artificial flavors they use are indeed vegan in those products.

Seaside, the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan (the double chocolate/60% cocoa, which were my favorite, are NOT vegan)... I think some of their chocolate bars are still vegan as well.

Mr Flibble
May 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
this was discussed about 6 months ago on the forum, thou I can't find the thread. Several people wrote to them and were fobbed off with the usual 'well it's as good as........you don't want to make it too hard for people' crap

DancingWillow
May 23rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
you're referring to PETA, not the Compassionate Consumer, right? Because the woman from CC with whom I communicated was vere polite and thankful...

chickendude
May 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Maybe if we suggest to them that they indicate which products are 100% vegan? Their "disclaimer" states that the items are only 99% vegan, which could explain some of the discrepancies.

veggiegirl3
May 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Good idea!

Stu
May 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
*sigh*

How can something be "99% vegan?" That is total nonsense. Something is either vegan or it isn't.

And how do they come by this definition, anyway? Is it measured by the mass of the product? It all sounds a bit fishy to me, and probably isn't compiled by vegans.

UrbanVegan
May 24th, 2006, 02:34 AM
http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Now that's a very helpful link.

UrbanVegan
May 24th, 2006, 02:37 AM
*sigh*

How can something be "99% vegan?" That is total nonsense. Something is either vegan or it isn't.

I was thinking the SAME thing. 99% vegan is vegetarian.

Seaside
May 24th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Seaside, the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan (the double chocolate/60% cocoa, which were my favorite, are NOT vegan)... I think some of their chocolate bars are still vegan as well.
Hi DancingWillow,
I checked the Ghiradelli chocolate bars today at the store. The only one that didn't have milk fat was the unsweetened baking bar. They were out of chips. I only mention it because they are made only a few miles away from where I live, and if they have changed their formula, it might take longer for you to see the changes, considering turnover, etc. But keep an eye out, because they definitely have milk fat in them here in SF. :(

DancingWillow
May 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Seaside:) I only buy the chips, and I hope they won't change their formula, but I'll keep checking the ingredients before I buy each time...

Why do they have to take something that's vegan and make it non-vegan??? How is a small amount of milk fat going to improve the quality of chocolate? Grr. Btw, can lactose-intolerant people digest milk fat? If not, I might write to Ghirardelli and point out that if they change the formula, they'll be cutting out all their vegan and lactose-intolerant customers.

seanymph
May 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
whats in nesquick powder then?

Seaside
May 26th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Seaside:) I only buy the chips, and I hope they won't change their formula, but I'll keep checking the ingredients before I buy each time...

Why do they have to take something that's vegan and make it non-vegan??? How is a small amount of milk fat going to improve the quality of chocolate? Grr. Btw, can lactose-intolerant people digest milk fat? If not, I might write to Ghirardelli and point out that if they change the formula, they'll be cutting out all their vegan and lactose-intolerant customers.
I don't know, and I am disappointed, since Ghiradelli is local and a tradition in my family. :(
Lactose intolerant people have trouble with milk sugar rather than fat. I have heard of intolerances to milk protein and milk sugar, but not milk fat. Still its worth complaining about! Why don't they just put in more cocoa butter?

treehugga
May 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't buy anything from Nestle whether it's promoted as vegan or not. Their ethics are deplorable check it out on the companies you boycott thread.

veggiegirl3
May 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Will do. Haven't even seen that thread! Thanks!

Haniska
May 30th, 2006, 10:32 PM
As far as the cereals listed above. Do they use animal derived vitamins?

veggiegirl3
May 31st, 2006, 02:48 AM
They don't have vit. d, which is the only one I know of that can come from animals.

Haniska
May 31st, 2006, 04:03 AM
Cool. In "How it all vegan" they say that riboflavin is iffy.

fightback
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
i noticed alot of the cereals are of that brand, i think its general mills, who fortify their cereal with an animal derived 'vitamin'. anyone know which it is.. from wool i think. gotta watch out for that

fightback
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
oh someone above me just posted it.. witamin D. i just checked a few boxes, they do have vitamin D.

veggiegirl3
Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:33 AM
The ones that I listed above don't have vitamin D. I don't know about riboflavin though, I have to check.

veggiegirl3
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I added the ingredient riboflavin to the list.