PDA

View Full Version : Burger King veggie pattie

Pages : [1] 2 3

UrbanVegan
May 24th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Out of curiosity I went to Burger King's website to see if their veggie burgers have egg whites in them. Not only egg whites but milk :eek: Here's the list from their website. No more BK burgers for me.

Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for Hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. Contains: Soy, Wheat, Milk and Egg. This is NOT a vegan product. The patty is cooked in the microwave.

Looked online and found that Calcium Caseinate is synthesized from dried skim milk. :mad: grrrrrrrr.

Mr Flibble
May 24th, 2006, 08:31 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

why would you even want to set foot in BK let alone consider eating anything from there?

foxytina_69
May 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
canadian veggie burgers dont have any animal products.

Wishin986
May 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM
We stopped there on the way up to Montreal this past weekend. It was really nasty! Thank God I was prepared and had gone to Whole Foods before we left and so I ate my salad and apple :D

UrbanVegan
May 24th, 2006, 03:07 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

why would you even want to set foot in BK let alone consider eating anything from there?

I used to think the veggie burgers and onion rings were decent. Well I think the onion rings still are decent (minus the sauce since the onion ring sauce has eggs in it) since they don't fry any meat in the same oil as the onion rings. But that veggie burger is on my history list. :mad: I respect that Burger King is the ONLY fast food chain that at least tries to cater to the non-meat eating crowd. So I was trying to give them some business.

rid the cancer
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
giving burger king business for trying to cater to the non-meating crowd makes about as much sense as supporting hitler for granting immunity to a handful of jews. dumb logic, don't do it. all fast food chains should be burned down to the ground.

UrbanVegan
May 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I see the logic in what you are saying. (Can we please not burn Taco Bell :p ) I do wonder if having veggie burgers on the menu increases awareness of not eating meat. The more people see non-meat options the more I would think it becomes mainstream.

Burger King went to veggie burgers I was told because of the popularity of the meatless whopper. Which I used to eat years ago before they created the veggie burger. I was hoping other fast food chains would follow suit but none have and I'm not sure why. :confused:

But since I can't eat Burger King's veggie burger that's just one less eating out option. :cool:

Stu
May 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
It's an interesting argument.

I mean, should I stop buying things from my local corner shop, supermarket and even health food shop, because they sell animal products etc?

I can see the logic in the argument that if you buy 'good' products from big companies, you are influencing them positively because such products then account for a larger proportion of what they sell, and it may lead to them placing a greater emphasis on such products.

I'm not necessarily saying this is my opinion, but it's certainly a valid argument.

UrbanVegan
May 26th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I can see the logic in the argument that if you buy 'good' products from big companies, you are influencing them positively because such products then account for a larger proportion of what they sell, and it may lead to them placing a greater emphasis on such products.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I think it's awesome that an impact can be made in the fast food industry by non-meat eaters. But I do see what Rid The Cancer is saying. Fast Food chains sells tons of meat a year. I guess the bigger question is how much of an impact is the non-meat eating population having on fast food?

Not sure considering no other fast food chain has followed Burger King. :(

Haniska
May 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I've stopped eating onion rings and other batter dipped goodies because I suspect that they contain eggs or milk. I see a lot of "buttermilk batter" so I just assume. Shame for the fried mushrooms and zuchini though. Also a shame about the Burger King burgers, but I'm glad I found out here before I tried one.
Does anyone know if Subway's Veggie Pattie/ Monster Burger is vegan?

UrbanVegan
May 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I've stopped eating onion rings and other batter dipped goodies because I suspect that they contain eggs or milk. I see a lot of "buttermilk batter" so I just assume.

I never thought about that :eek:

This is what I've found on BK onion rings. Not sure if there's animal products are not. I'm questioning the gelatinzed wheat starch and the calcium chloride. I'll have to research these. :cool:

Rehydrated Onion, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Yellow Corn Flour, Sugar. Contains 2% or less of each of the following: Gelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium Chloride, Modified Food Starch, Methyl Cellulose, Salt, Fructose, Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Dextrose, Yeast, Sodium Bicarbonate, Glucano Delta Lactone, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Natural† and Artificial Flavors, Grill Flavor, Garlic Powder, Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose, Sorbitol. †Natural flavors from plant sources. Contains Wheat.

twinkle
May 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I think there are enough "meat reducers" and kids who want to be veggie but have to eat out with their omni parents to keep the big fast food chains going with their veggie options, without people who have doubts about supporting them making an effort. I guess this will sound condescending but I think we're in a very small minority of people who actually consider where our food is coming from and I doubt our business will make any difference one way or the other.

If a company makes an effort to mark something vegan then I will probably try it, but if you have to ferret around for information, and they don't respect vegans enough to make it easy for us, then I won't bother.

maya
May 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I hate burger king they have the worst commercials on top of being a shitty company. I like Amy's veggies burgers. Dont eat Chili's Veggie burgers either coz they also use egg!

foxytina_69
May 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM
*shrugs* i think the veggie burgers are really good. so are the onion rings.

aubergine
May 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I thought the Onion rings used egg in the batter?

Haniska
May 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I never thought about that :eek:

This is what I've found on BK onion rings. Not sure if there's animal products are not. I'm questioning the gelatinzed wheat starch and the calcium chloride. I'll have to research these. :cool:

You must tell me where you find these things!

Haniska
May 27th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I hate burger king they have the worst commercials on top of being a shitty company. I like Amy's veggies burgers. Dont eat Chili's Veggie burgers either coz they also use egg!

Does anyone know about Ruby Tuesdays veggie burgers? I assume the buns aren't vegan though :(

speedylemons
May 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I would never EVER trust any burger king anywhere near me. Then again, i only trust one group of people other than myself to make food for my consumption.. and i've gotten the 100% vegan reassurance so it's all good. I wish i could trust somewhere that makes something other than pizza. :rolleyes:

UrbanVegan
May 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
You must tell me where you find these things!

Well I found at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
that calcium chloride is added to food to give it a salty flavor without increasing the sodium. It is also used in cement, plastic, drainage aid for wastewater treatment. And here is a whopper of a statement.

Calcium chloride is an irritant; wear gloves and goggles to protect hands and eyes; avoid inhalation.
Although calcium chloride is relatively safe to handle, care should be taken that it is not ingested. Calcium chloride reacts exothermically with water and can burn the mouth and esophagus.

kriz
May 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I do occasionally go to non-vegan fast food places, mostly "mexican" places, though (La Salsa, Wahoo etc.) as long as I can be assured (see with my own eyes) that they don't grill the veggies with the meat and don't use lard or chicken broth in their beans and rice. It's sad to say, but I do trust big chains more with this than the taco stand around the corner. I know when I go to for example La Salsa that their policy is not putting lard in their beans and it applies to their ALL locations.

foxytina_69
May 29th, 2006, 06:25 AM
the onion rings in canada dont use eggs. its different in all countries though.

insubordination
May 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I went to Australian subway and the manager came and told me it was vegan. Tasted horrible though. Too 'fast foody' for me.

Mr Flibble
May 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Well I found at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride

So what? Most things we eat and need in our diets are very bad for us in large quanties (including water!). Here's some examples of quoting small chunks of wikipedia to produce misleading statements about perfectly normal things:

One should wear safety glasses while working with magnesium.

Niacin is toxic to the skin and liver

Concentrated acetic acid is corrosive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion) and must therefore be handled with appropriate care, since it can cause skin burns, permanent eye damage, and irritation to the mucous membranes. These burns or blisters may not appear until several hours after exposure. Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex) gloves offer no protection, so specially resistant gloves, such as those made of nitrile rubber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber), should be worn when handling the compound. Concentrated acetic acid can be ignited with some difficulty in the laboratory. It becomes a flammable risk if the ambient temperature exceeds 39 °C (102 °F), and can form explosive mixtures with air above this temperature (explosive limits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_limit): 5.4%–16%).

Perhaps you need to be more concerned about putting vinegar on your vegan fries on a hot day ;)

Tray
May 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM
fast food, slow death
I agree with Rid the cancer...
p.s. did you take the name from a disrupt song?

rid the cancer
May 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM
fast food, slow death
I agree with Rid the cancer...
p.s. did you take the name from a disrupt song?
yup, got it from disrupt. nice amebix avatar!