PDA

View Full Version : Crock pot / slow cooker recipes

Pages : [1] 2

Peas'nHominy
Oct 16th, 2005, 03:55 AM
As some of y'all know, I use to homeschool my kids. But they're back in "regular school" now and cool weather is not too far off. Well, my kids come home with homework (which I have to help them with) and big appetites. By the time I help four kids with their homework, prepare dinner, get everyone bathed, etc., it's very late. It's really hard getting the kids to bed on time, and I NEVER get to bed before midnight, only to have to wake up again at 5:30. It's killing me!!

I need to just have dinner basically ready once the kids get home, but it takes me too long once I leave the house to pick the kids up and then actually get back home, so any food I've prepared has already got'n cold.

I'm thinking a crockpot should help me out a lot. I have a crockpot now ... but I don't know what to do with it!! :o

Could y'all share some recipes (or websites)? I tried surf'n for some recipes, but for some strange reason I didn't have much luck ... maybe the lack of sleep is affecting my surf'n skills right now! :o :D

Peas'nHominy
Oct 16th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Ooooo ... I just found this link (http://vegweb.com/cgi/search/search.pl) -- search "crockpot" and they've got some recipes listed. :)

But still feel free to share the recipes y'all like!!

absentmindedfan
Oct 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
If I want easy I do chunky soup. Basically take every vegetable in your cupboards, chop up (chunky), cook in veggie stock (which they'll add their own flavour to), add beans and/or rice and/or little pasta shapes, and leave to simmer. Serve with various breads or maybe a quick salad and there you go. I make enough to last about a week and it's super filling and super lazy :)

Peas'nHominy
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM
Thank you!! That sounds wonderful, plus it will help me use up those left-over veggies before they spoil. :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
If I want easy I do chunky soup. Basically take every vegetable in your cupboards, chop up (chunky), cook in veggie stock (which they'll add their own flavour to), add beans and/or rice and/or little pasta shapes, and leave to simmer. Serve with various breads or maybe a quick salad and there you go. I make enough to last about a week and it's super filling and super lazy :)

I do a similar thing but it lasts my family a mere 24 hours :eek: not a week!

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:17 AM
My Sweetie's Mom just bought me a new crockpot...it is really great, a large portable model with a locking lid and a ladle that snaps on the top.

I have been using my crockpot to make herbal oils and such and so it's not really suitable for food cooking, so her gift is so appreciated! I am going to be teaching my daugther to make soups and stews in it :)

Jacqui
Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:48 AM
What a thoughtful gift!
I'd love it if you posted some of your recipes here. I have only had my slow cooker for a few weeks and all I have made so far is some spicy lentils and a chickpea and veg curry.:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
It *was* a thoughtful gift! I used it for the Banana dessert at the New Year's catering gig and it was perfect!

I'll get it back from the party's host today and then I'll post recipes as I make them...in general I'd say just be creative by adding any veggies and beans/legumes you have about and spice accordingly :)

cedarblue
Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
ooops, this thread was not what i thought it was going to be! i misread the title and thought it said 'crackpot' recipes.

ho hum

*mental note to self - learn to read*

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
HA! Crakpot recipes would be an interesting thread! Why not start one then, Cedar?

harpy
Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Rather a long time after the original request I'm afraid but this is a nice one that someone gave me years ago:

Vegetarian "Cassoulet" - crockpot

Serves 4

8 oz haricot beans , soaked overnight, then boiled for ten minutes.
1 pint of boiling vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 large onion, sliced
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
4 sticks celery, sliced
14 oz can tomatoes with their juice
2 bay leaves
1 level tsp dried basil
4 oz red lentils

Put the slow cooker/crockpot on "high". Drain the beans and put the in the cooker with the stock. Fry the garlic, onion, mushrooms, celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to the boil. Stir and add to the slow cooker. Stir again, cover and cook for six to six and a half hours until the beans are cooked. (Presumably you could use a slightly lower heat and cook for a bit longer.) Season with salt and pepper and serve with crusty bread and salad.

Jacqui
Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
ooops, this thread was not what i thought it was going to be! i misread the title and thought it said 'crackpot' recipes.

ho hum

*mental note to self - learn to read*
That's funny!:D
Did you come here looking for CRACKPOT RECIPES???:D

Hemlock
Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
That's what we do, throw every vegetable in the house + various things out the store cupboard like rice, beans, lentils, tinned tomatoes, barley etc into a pot, put in vegetable stock and herbs and there you go, ready in half an hour, eat with wholewheat bread. It's very cheap too.
Sometimes we make a curried version. It's one sure way to get all the vitamins and minerals you need without planning recipes - just chuck everything in.
Last night we threw a bunch of watercress on top to serve - lovely.
Anything to simplify life and stay out of the kitchen, I am far too busy to spend hours preparing food.

cedarblue
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
That's funny!:D
Did you come here looking for CRACKPOT RECIPES???:D

seriously yes!! :rolleyes:

thought it was a funny thread about daft and 'off-the-wall' recipes.

guess i figured there are enought crackpots on here to provide a few interesting ideas :o

fiamma
May 29th, 2006, 07:52 AM
The next thing on my wish list is a crock pot/slow cooker, but I have never used one in my life! I remember my mum used to have one and used it for cooking roasts *bleurgh* and this does seem to be what many people use them for, so I am concerned that any crock pot recipe books out there will be full of meat recipes. Can anyone recommend a good cookbook which is veggie or vegan? Or better still, can you share any tips or recipes?

mophoto
May 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM
there are a lot of slow cooker recipes on vegweb...

i haven't tried any yet but plan too:)

fiamma
May 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mophoto - love your avatar BTW, is that your dog?

mophoto
May 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM
thanks and yes, that is steve:)

funny, i was just wondering what yours was... rock formation and the sea?? very interesting

fiamma
May 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Cute dog, very very cute! He is gorgeous!
My photo is a lighthouse near my parents' house on the Shetland Islands in Scotland - I saw the pattern on the wall and just couldn't resist. I shall go and look up those recipes now (anything to avoid working this morning)

Limey
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
*boost*

Because I'm looking for crockpot recipes as well. Not crackpot, though. ;)

Lizzie
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have any tried and tested slow cooker recipes?

Im not the worlds worst cook but everything i have made so far has been bland or watery and definately lacking something.

Any help would be appreciated.

scruffyhead
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Im the same i throw all my leftovers in the frying pan with a bit of soya butter, peppers, mushrooms, carrotts, tomato, fry for ten mins then add vegetable stock, add beans, sweetcorn whatever you fancy! then i add a bit of tomato and basil sauce, or what ever sauce you have, a few herbs, then leave to simmer.. it always seems to turn out right lol
Thats what i love about vegan cooking it always tastes great :) infact talking about it here makes me want to go and prepare something to take to work...

sugarmouse
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:49 PM
lol i may sound daft but *what* is a crockpot??

Limey
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:50 PM
A slowcooker. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crockpot

http://www.nataliedee.com/011603/crockpot.jpg

Tigerlily
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Haha! I love that.