PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Sour Cream

Taste Test
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:06 AM
I LOVE chilli beans on nacho chips. But alas, soy sour cream is blarrrghhh... not appealing to me.

I invented this last night:

Vegan Sour Cream
1 Avocado
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup of coconut cream

Stick in the blender and whizz until creamy.

Delicious. Ever so delicately flavoured like coconut. Even nicer when you add chopped cucumber on the side to offset the spicyness of the chilli beans.

MMMMMMMM, enjoy :)

Tigerlily
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:09 AM
What soy sour cream have you been trying? I could the Toffuti stuff by the bowlful. :D Yum!

Wildflower
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I think tofutti is really close to sour cow's cream. Not quite as sour, but everything else is the same.

But this sounds yummy too - anything with coconut and avacado has to be good! :p

Taste Test
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:48 AM
No Tofutti importer in NZ. I've heard it's good and I'm going to Aussie in 2 weeks so I'll pick up a whole bunch there for me and me vegan m8's.

:D

Maybe I could sell it on Trade Me (NZ's version of Ebay) - lol
MAYBE I could be NZ's first Tofutti importer?!

Taste Test
Jun 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Ooh plus, soy upsets my tum.

I have a little cheezly but by and large my stomach bloats and I get chronic morning tremor when I eat soy (just like I used to when I ate dairy, back in the day)... so it's generally to be avoided by me.

Wildflower
Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
No Tofutti importer in NZ. I've heard it's good and I'm going to Aussie in 2 weeks so I'll pick up a whole bunch there for me and me vegan m8's.

:D

Maybe I could sell it on Trade Me (NZ's version of Ebay) - lol
MAYBE I could be NZ's first Tofutti importer?!

LOL! Go for it! :D

Roxy
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:15 AM
That sounds like a delicious recipe, Taste Test!

I love the Tofutti sour cream, so I hope you do get a chance to try it. It is great on nachos and just a few days ago, I had it on seasoned potato wedges. Mmmmm!

cedarblue
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
tofutti sour cream!!!???

never seen that in the uk.

Tigerlily
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
It's delicious! It tastes like a mixture of full-fat homemade yougurt (the Middle Eastern/Greek kind) and sour cream. It has hydrogenated oils, though, so I only eat it when I have a craving. Too bad. :(

snaffler
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
For a quick not so thick soya sour cream buy alpro dream soya cream, add some real or jif lemon juice, slowly this will thicken and start to taste sour, perfect for vegan mexican meals. I have used this for many years now. :)

veganwitch
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
It's delicious! It tastes like a mixture of full-fat homemade yougurt (the Middle Eastern/Greek kind) and sour cream. It has hydrogenated oils, though, so I only eat it when I have a craving. Too bad. :(

Toffuti makes a non-hydrogenated version that comes in a blue tub. I could eat that stuff all the time!

Tigerlily
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
:( They don't sell that here. :(

moonshadow
Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
i've been waiting for the non hydrogenated version, but i haven't seen it yet. :(

Roxy
Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
No we don't have it here either. We only just got the non-hydrogenated cream cheese a few months ago.

Tigerlily
Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
We still don't have the non-hydrogenated cream cheese!

Wildflower
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
My natural foods store carried the non hydrogenated cream cheese once, and I bought it and it was great. then they never carried it again - they only stock the hydrogenated one. :(

I haven't seen the sour cream with out hydrogenated oils, the regular one is sold everywhere. Tigerlily is right, it tastes like greek yogurt more than sour cream, but it is really good.

I hear we are getting a whole foods store in town, and that they don't carry things with hydrogenated oils - so they should carry the non hydrogenated Tofutti products...I just need to wait til fall when it is scheduled to open. :rolleyes: :D

Tigerlily
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm moving to Toronto someday (:rolleyes: ) and they have a Whole Foods there, as well as a bunch of other supermarkets and health shops. Hopefully I can find some there!

Wildflower
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
I bet they will have the IMEarthKind/VeganGourmet/Follow Your Heart cheeses too. :D

Tigerlily
Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, we actually have that here but only in the mozzarella flavour.