PDA

View Full Version : visiting Vancouver/The Rockies

Terasa
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM
Hi I am due to visit Canada in July for two weeks and am wondering if anyone can advise me on local vegan basics such as bread, soya milk, cereals etc... What brand names should I be looking out for that are vegan? Are they readily available or only in the major towns/cities? Do I need to bring a fortnights food with me? How easy is it to be a vegan in Vancouver/The Rockies?

Please help?

Roxy
Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
It's very easy to be Vegan in Vancouver. There are several natural foods stores (look for Choices, Capers and there is even a Whole Foods on the north shore). Most regular grocery stores such as Save On Foods and IGA sell a good variety of vegan grocery items as well. IGA has the best selection of organic produce.

We have Safeway here, but if I were you - I wouldn't even bother with them. They have a terrible selection of healthy, vegan foods.

We have some wonderful veggie restaurants and cafes here too.

I went to the Rockies a few years ago, before I was Vegan, so I'm sorry - I can't really help you out there.

I do remember though there was a soap company in Banff, called the Rocky Mountain Soap Company and they had the most delicious natural soaps and I'm quite sure a lot of them were vegan.

July is a lovely time to visit this area. It's warm and mostly sunny!

mophoto
Jun 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM
ohh i am so jealous... the canadian rockies are amazing... i am sure you will have no problems there!! hippy skiers are abundant so i am sure you have no prob finding health food stores... have fun!!

Terasa
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks Roxy

That it is really helpful. Can I just ask you if you know whether either of the grocery stores that you mention are on the south east side of town near the airport? We will be collecting our camper van from near the airport and head out of town straight away so if we can stock up fairly near to the airport that would be good. Sounds like we will have no trouble when we get back to Vancouver itself though.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Really looking forward to it.:)

Roxy
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
The airport is in the suburb of Richmond, so here is the IGA Website (http://www.marketplaceiga.com/index2.asp) and here is the Save On Foods (http://www.saveonfoods.com/) Website. If you use the store locators, you should be able to find the grocery stores in whichever towns/areas you're going to be in.

I'm sorry I don't know the suburb of Richmond very well, so I don't know how conveniently located to the airport, any of these places are. I am sure the airport staff will be quite knowledgeable and be able to help you.

As far as hippy skiers/health food stores in the Rockies, I remember Banff was VERY TOURISTY and the only grocery store there was a Safeway. I honestly don't remember there being any health food stores, but this may be different for other town in the Rockies.

Terasa
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Excellent Roxy. Thanks ever so much for your help. I'll get planning now.

Roxy
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
You're welcome :) I hope you have a great vacation!!

wilson
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Also in Vancouver look out for the abundance of cheap and superb sushi places. they all have some varity on the veggie themes, for me I'm all about the inari, but there is lots to try.

I'm lucky in that my gf's sister is studying art at Emily Carr, so we went in February for a week, and are hopefully getting out there again in August. I love hanging out on Commercial Road(Drive?), all the fine coffee places, and some great hippie style stores.

Have to try and pick a better hotel this time though, last time we were at the Best Western Chateau Granville, surrounded by cracksters and peep shows (but steps away from a great breakfast/diner place called, I think, Templeton's).

This probably isn't very helpful info, I'm just reminiscing over here...:o

Roxy
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Commercial Drive is quite the colourful area.

I will suggest that when you are next there, go to Sweet Cheribum grocery store and cafe and try their veggie rolls - (they are just like a sausage roll but full of lentils, chickpeas and vegetables instead). Actually - they have lots of yummy food there!

wilson
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
hey thanks Roxy I'll check it out - is it on Commercial? I went to a place there before, and had the best samosas I've ever tasted. They also had many different types of cookies. Can't remember the name of that place, don't think it was Sweet Cheribum.

Roxy
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Yep, it is right on Commercial. It could've been the same place, because they do have samosas and loads of different cookies.

Here is their website:

http://www.sweetcherubim.com/

wilson
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
haha, yeah that's the one :) my gf's sister lives about 5 blocks away

Roxy
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
LOL! :D